SMB3 turns 30 today

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/anniversary_super_mario_bros_3_turns_30_years_old_today

Definitely one of my favorite Mario platformers.

So many memories:

Couldn't get it at launch....  and it was tough as hell to find anyway. Found it at a Roses and got my mom to get it for me but she threw up a report card mandate before I could play it.  While I did abide by it I was actually pretty sneaky and found the game, slit the packaging and played super late at night so she wouldn't know I was playing it outside of our agreement.

The Wizard...

The powerups...

The Koopalings/Kids...

The world maps...

The themed worlds...

The secrets...

The top notch NES graphics....

The ability to fly...

The ability to combine the abilities from SMB and to ADD the ability of picking up things granted in SMB2!

2 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

In my younger and more vulnerable years I was on a boat as part of a field trip, and an older boy gave me SMB3 for the GBA. I wish I remembered why, but dang was that kind of him. Took me a long time to get through it, but I'm pretty sure I did.... maybe I should check.

That intro sounds kind of creepy man.

As much as I like World, SMB3 is my favorite 2D Mario game—in fact it's probably my favorite overall, although the 3D games are all great in their own ways as well. After all, how many games can boast that they premiered in a movie starring Fred Savage, Jenny Lewis, and Christian Slater? The level design in SMB3 is just fantastic but if there's one thing I love most about it it's probably the power-ups. Great variety, love the fact that you can earn and store extra power-ups when you need them, and I appreciate the fact that, while some are more situational in their use, most are useful on any number of stages.

Plus, let's be honest, it's one of the few NES games that has aged well.

I like Super Mario World a little more than Super Mario Bros. 3

What I really loved about SMB3 are the diverse worlds. I honestly think those are the best world theme and the levels in them complimented them as well. I feel that game has the best world and levels are not that bad in relation to the world theme. I'll give that to SMB3. Which I no other 2D Mario really nailed in my opinion despite that I look at SMW as the better game to SMB3.

every single nintendo game on earth nowadays does plains, desert, ocean, lava, giant, cloud. etc nowadays so it's hard to care as much about that
although naturally SMB3 was the origin of this so I can't criticize it for what was unique at the time.
SMW's were more unique, but it didn't push the theme as hard in individual levels, so they aren't as memorable.

Except for the forest and Valley of Bowser, I'd say, just cause those looked cool as hell
VD, Forest and Valley all had sick music, too

• Chrom featured this topic
On 10/24/2018 at 6:25 AM, Pichi said:

any% without glitch warps is 10m44s
https://www.speedrun.com/smb3#Any_No_Wrong_Warp

wow that is pretty fast.  I am thinking that is probably one of the few that I could have a shot at, the other is Marble Madness which I am also pretty awesome at.  There just is not a ton of games that I could do a WR attempt and actually pull off and even pulling off a WR attempt is a once in a lifetime achievement for most people.

2 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

wow that is pretty fast.  I am thinking that is probably one of the few that I could have a shot at, the other is Marble Madness which I am also pretty awesome at.  There just is not a ton of games that I could do a WR attempt and actually pull off and even pulling off a WR attempt is a once in a lifetime achievement for most people.

to get to the top level of a competitive, established speedrun usually requires hundreds of hours of focused practice. Really difficult and long runs like Mario 64 120-star demand thousands of hours to even come close to high level play.
speedrunners don't just boot up an old game they played a lot and suddenly they're getting competitive times.
we have to practice very specific strategies that push the game to its limit. a lot of rote memorization and fucking with ultra precise jumps/skips/glitches daily until they become something that can be performed consistently.

Edited by Pichi
On 10/29/2018 at 8:02 AM, Pichi said:

to get to the top level of a competitive, established speedrun usually requires hundreds of hours of focused practice. Really difficult and long runs like Mario 64 120-star demand thousands of hours to even come close to high level play.
speedrunners don't just boot up an old game they played a lot and suddenly they're getting competitive times.
we have to practice very specific strategies that push the game to its limit. a lot of rote memorization and fucking with ultra precise jumps/skips/glitches daily until they become something that can be performed consistently.

Truthfully I probably put that much into those 2. Of course, it also comes down to luck. With Marble Madness I have come within 1000 points. The problem with that game is there is an element of luck to where even if you do it perfectly, if you don't get the totally random magic wands, you have no shot. I am not much of a speed runner but there are some games I have played through so much that I could probably come close.

I've been playing SMB3 on the Switch's online service for the past few days.

Always had it as a kid. We would play it on the NES but I never beat it. Played it on All Stars but never complete it either. Trying to change it this time. Kind of wish I had the NES joy cons to go with the game. the Joy Con buttons are a tad too small for me with this game. I suppose I could hook up the NES classic.

I think one of my favorite things about this game was that it was featured in The Wizard. I thought that was really cool.