YouTube is down; YouTube TV is also down too

Fuzzer1

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/16/17987280/youtube-down-outage

If you go on YouTube right now, you cannot watch any videos since it went down at around 9:20 pm EST.

As mentioned in the title, YouTube TV is working fine.

Edit: not sure why The Verge said YouTube TV was working still but it seems to be down too which is really bad for those who watch sports:

https://awfulannouncing.com/streaming/youtube-tv-crashed-for-many-during-the-nlcs.html

Edited by Fuzzer1
1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Damn. I was wondering why the video I posted on another site errored out. Thanks for sharing the links.

I first kept getting "an error occurred" on my YouTube app on my phone so I had to wonder what was going on. Had to post this topic after my discoveries.

Funny thing is, I had an outage with Comcast in my area earlier today that killed my TV and Wi-Fi for a bit and it wasn't fun to not watch baseball for a bit 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

I first kept getting "an error occurred" on my YouTube app on my phone so I had to wonder what was going on. Had to post this topic after my discoveries.

Funny thing is, I had an outage with Comcast in my area earlier today that killed my TV and Wi-Fi for a bit and it wasn't fun to not watch baseball for a bit 

Strange. Wonder if someone hacked them?

I noticed this a bit earlier. Good to know it's not just me. Man, I never thought I'd see YouTube go down. 

I know someone people are probably losing their shit right now. LOL!! 😆 Though in all seriousness, I hope the didn't get hacked. 

Edited by alienboyva
8 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Not sure. I mean, Comcast doesn't have coverage in all of the US but the timing does raise some suspicins.

YouTube going down is really rare though but it does happen.

Definitely.

Just found out about this via Downdetector:   https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4344105&page=1 (Pakistan causes Youtube to go down this past Sunday.)

Most of the world's Internet users lost access to YouTube for several hours Sunday after an attempt by Pakistan's government to block access domestically affected other countries.

An Internet expert explained that Sunday's problems arose when a Pakistani telecommunications company accidentally identified itself to Internet computers as the world's fastest route to YouTube. But instead of serving up videos of skateboarding dogs, it sent the traffic into oblivion.

A YouTube spokeswoman did not immediately respond to an e-mailed question on whether the clips that offended Pakistan's government had been removed. Several clips with interviews of Wilders were still up on the site Monday afternoon.

Two apparent errors allowed the outage to propagate beyond Pakistan, according to Todd Underwood, vice president and general manager of Internet community services at Renesys.

Pakistan Telecom established a route that directed requests for YouTube videos from local Internet subscribers to a "black hole," where the data was discarded, according to Renesys. Pakistan Telecom's mistake was that it then published that route to its international data carrier, PCCW Ltd. of Hong Kong, Underwood said.

The second mistake was that PCCW accepted that route, Underwood said. It started directing requests from its customers for YouTube data to Pakistan. And since PCCW is one of the world's 20 largest data carriers, its routing table was passed along to other large carriers without any attempt at verification.

"Once a pretty big network gets an error like that, it propagates to most or all of the Internet very quickly," Underwood said. As he put it, Pakistan Telecom was impersonating YouTube to much of the world.

Andrew Franklin • 4 minutes ago
Pakistan was trying to censor its country from trailers for a new movie that portraits mohhamadd their prophet and ended up taking down the entire web site if you google it and read up about it you can see what pakistan did !!!! this is unacceptable !

Source:  https://downdetector.com/status/youtube

It makes me wonder if they're trying to do the same thing again.

Edited by Doc Brown