Toys R Us Hints At Returning; Fired Employees Upset

Terranort

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10/06/toys-r-us-tweets-they-might-be-returning-online-rage-ensues/

Bleeding Cool said:

This afternoon, a brand new tweet came up from the Toys R Us Twitter account that you could say didn’t really “sit well” with people online. As you may recall, the company filed for bankruptcy, tried a dozen ways to save itself, and then ultimately shut down stores across the U.S. A few remain in Canada, but that’s another story. The company was going to sell off their assets in an auction earlier this week, but pulled at the last moment. Today they announced that a subsidiary has secured all the company’s assets. But the way they went about it was a little insulting.

Guess who's back? He’s been traveling across the globe for the past few months but now #GeoffreysBack and once again ready to set play free for children of all ages. Share some of your favorite memories and get ready to make a whole lot of new ones!

http://bit.ly/2OIJt4V

Now picture yourself being a Toys R Us employee and having to read that online after you lost your job. You don’t have to imagine, we have several here for you. Classy move, new owners… classy. We don’t expect anything at this point, because to predict if and when they’re coming back is a fool’s game at this point.

cont. in article.

Edited by NOA_FUCKFACE

Rightfully so.  Without the specifics surrounding it it's incredibly difficult to find any good from this news that doesn't boil down to "well, at least RUS will be around for the kids" again.  I'm not a big fan of it, but I've made my peace with the closure and have moved on so it's whatever at this point.

25 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

This whole thing reeks of some of the shadiest corporate and accounting practices to skirt around real financial issues for a company.  If they tanked out just get around their debt being collected and then reopen the stores under the same company umbrellas.

Word. Smells like vulture capitalism. 

If I was a former employee, this would kind of be a slap in the face for me. As a customer, it kind of is to me. Months of going through this process, accepting the fate of the franchise and the employees losing their jobs, getting closure of a part of my childhood and moving on, only to have this happen. But with that being said, I guess I can say I am pleased that this is getting another go. I hope it works. I hope that former employees get first dibs to get their jobs back.

I am not sure how many stores will open and the sizes of those stores will be. Will they be smaller like KB Toys? Will they try to buy back as much former stores as they can? This is the first time I've ever seen a retail company do this before. Very interested to see how this goes. Also I guess Bain Capital will still be involved? Meh...

I wonder how soon they will start getting stores ready to reopen. Like how much of a change/renovation will they really do? My guess is that they will have stores ready for the 2019 holiday season.