How are all of your Switches doing a year later?

How are all of your systems holding up?

I've heard of some warping, getting cracks in them. Was thinking of getting one, but given the new model... I'm not sure if it's worth getting one at this point, mainly due to some of the Switches issues with this older model. Only concerns I have with the newer ones are if the screen ends up being worse than the older model's and if it's not compatible with RCA to HD adapters. The latter is what is having me concerned about the newer model. The newer model would have to be more sturdy as well. And the higher price point... it would have to be worth it to me to pay more. It's why I'm kind of wavering in terms of getting an older one. Heard some of the later models of it aren't running into the cracking issues.

I just wanted to see your guys thoughts on this.

Edited by Doc Brown

Ah. Yea my new 3ds is kind of like that. The paint chips more off of it than my older one and the D Pad isn't made as well. I just don't like it when companies cut too many corners. Getting the system is an investment. I'd hope that would last for quite awhile.

Edited by Doc Brown

It's important to remember that defective issues with electronic devices are usually anomalies, not norms. You could probably buy a Switch today with no notable issues, and if something ever did come up it likely wouldn't be significant enough to detract from your enjoyment of using it to the point of needing a repair.

Personally I bought my Switch a year ago and it's been perfectly fine for me thankfully, save for the fact the left Joy-Con somehow developed an issue early on where the stick will randomly send input as if it's being pushed upwards without being touched but can be corrected if I just fiddle with it for a second. Mildly annoying but I just don't care enough to do anything more about it, and it's just an issue with the one controller.

I'd recommend investing in a Switch regardless of model if its current library of games interests you. I know that's a rather straightforward suggestion, but it's what I did and I've been satisfied with my purchase.

So far my only problem is that the left joycon’s analog stick seems to be malfunctioning. Characters keep walking forward while I try to stand still, and the cursor goes crazy while scrolling through menus.

I might have to send it in to get fixed.

EDIT: @Chrom and I both replied at the exact same time, about the exact same problem.y;

Edited by Tyranogre

I have a launch Switch and I really haven't had any major issues. Though, I mostly play handheld/tabletop mode since I don't trust the dock after all the issues people reported (warping, scratching, etc), especially since It scratched my Switch a few days after launch.  I really wish the Switch dock was designed like the Wii U GamePad dock.

However, I did notice this happening to my grey joy-con (minor issue). Though, I heard it's only an issue with the grey ones...

I'm curious to see in person how the colored joy-cons hold up to regular use. I recently acquired some neon blue/red ones as apart of a Switch prize  package I won in one of NOA's sweepstakes...

This Switch and the 2 games I already have (SMO and MK8DX) will most likely be going little bro.  So, I'll see how these joy-con are holding up after a few months use.

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, Kezay said:

You won a prize package from an NoA sweepstakes? Nice!!

Yup! I was is in disbelief when I found out, as I never win anything.  :D

Kinda makes me wish I held out on buying MK8DX last Xmas, but I was able to get it for like $40, so I can't complain. Also, somewhat wish I held off on getting a Switch, but how the hell was I supposed to know this was going to happen? :P  I'm glad I did hold off on the LABO Variety Kit ($70 is a bit much). I only really wanted it for that piano, because of all the stuff you can do/create with it is totally up my alley. Plus, it looked fun to build. ...And if you're wondering...Yes, I can play piano, but only one handed tho. I was in band in MS/HS (started in ES and was also in marching band in HS) and as a percussionist we had to learn mallet instruments (xylophone, etc.). Now as for Mario Tennis, I don't have much interest in it. I played the demo and thought it was pretty fun, but I had one hell of a time trying to win a match (eventually I won a few). :v 

Edited by alienboyva

The only issue I've had is with the analog stick of my left Joy-Con that I got with the system. It's good that I got the pro controller when I did, but I use to play a lot of ARMS in handheld mode with the block mapped to pushing in the left analog stick. I think that is what ultimately did that Joy-Con in. I honestly thought this was a different topic based on the title though.

Edited by IU
9 hours ago, IU said:

The only issue I've had is with the analog stick of my left Joy-Con that I got with the system. It's good that I got the pro controller when I did, but I use to play a lot of ARMS in handheld mode with the block mapped to pushing in the left analog stick. I think that is what ultimately did that Joy-Con in. I honestly thought this was a different topic based on the title though.

Sorry about that. I'll edit the title to make it a bit clearer.

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

How are all of your systems holding up?

I've heard of some warping, getting cracks in them. Was thinking of getting one, but given the new model... I'm not sure if it's worth getting one at this point, mainly due to some of the Switches issues with this older model. Only concerns I have with the newer ones are if the screen ends up being worse than the older model's and if it's not compatible with RCA to HD adapters. The latter is what is having me concerned about the newer model. The newer model would have to be more sturdy as well. And the higher price point... it would have to be worth it to me to pay more. It's why I'm kind of wavering in terms of getting an older one. Heard some of the later models of it aren't running into the cracking issues.

I just wanted to see your guys thoughts on this.

What the hell do you mean?  The dock outputs HDMI.  If you have a MUCH older tv you would have to get HDMI to RCA/Svideo/Component Video adapter....

I have had no real issues with my Switch but....

Left JC rail of late doesn't click off to hold in  LJC.  It doesn't slip out by any means but you can slide it out without having to press in the release button.

Also, I stress grip, when playing in handheld mode, so I can tell if some of the not really looseness but bendyness is due to my stress grip.

I have somewhat experienced that JC syncing issue but I don't usually play with them in the grip or solo... I use my Pro controller.

The something weird I have noticed in handheld mode is that my left hand feels a buzz/tingle sometimes like I am getting some sort of electrical shock.  Its nothing major though.

I was gonna make a thread like this because after watching IGN review update of the Switch a few weeks back they mentioned this:

I have the vid start up where they mentioned the issue.

I don't know if it is mere coincidence or it was there for a while but my left Joy-Con does that too. I must mention I have two sets of Joy-cons (my grey launch ones and the neon blue ones I bought last year for Christmas. Bought my Switch last year on Black Friday. bought the neon blue joy-cons at the Switch anniversary, the left one at first had the left analog stick going wonky, exchange it for another from Amazon Canada and the new ones work fine )

The left joy-con that is doing that is my launch one, I tried the neon blue (both of them and they are fine) so this is not a problem with system but the joy-con itself. On closer examination of both left joy-com they look the same so I don't know what would cause this especially if this is less than a year this happened. Just based on when I got the blue neon joy-cons, I wonder if it is based on time when this will happen? Because with that they grey joy-cons are used more but I'd say I use both equally since this past spring.

What could cause this?

Oh, I forgot to mention the dock does scratch my Switch screen but I have screen protector. I can see on the protector where the scratches would land. So not cracks, or expanding. Tho I think everybody can say their joy-cons get oily. That is something of concern but not really to me with these other anomalies.

@alienboyva: Congrats on the sweepstakes. I'm the opposite I may not win most sweepstakes but I get lucky now and then. I'm just lucky individual, I guess.

@purple_beard: Your left Joy-con comes off too huh?, It's your launch ones, isn't?

Edited by DLurkster
7 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

What the hell do you mean?  The dock outputs HDMI.  If you have a MUCH older tv you would have to get HDMI to RCA/Svideo/Component Video adapter....

I have had no real issues with my Switch but....

Left JC rail of late doesn't click off to hold in  LJC.  It doesn't slip out by any means but you can slide it out without having to press in the release button.

Also, I stress grip, when playing in handheld mode, so I can tell if some of the not really looseness but bendyness is due to my stress grip.

I have somewhat experienced that JC syncing issue but I don't usually play with them in the grip or solo... I use my Pro controller.

The something weird I have noticed in handheld mode is that my left hand feels a buzz/tingle sometimes like I am getting some sort of electrical shock.  Its nothing major though.

That's what I meant (sorry I didn't make it clearer).  The first one (HDMI to RCA adapter), I just reversed the two phrase wise, since I have an older tv. Thanks. And I have one adapter wise. I tried it out via my Wii U that has that and it worked ok.

Ah.

Oh that's not good.

Edited by Doc Brown

I am having the same left joycon issues as others where the cursor goes all funny on occasion, and it feels like the same joycon is loose. It is a neon launch edition.

Otherwise all is good. :) No warping or cracking.

I have played a decent amount of games on it and am overall satisfied with it, too.

Edited by DranSeasona