Reports of a new version Switch may release in 2019

Interesting. Thanks for pointing it out!

More energy efficient sounds good, but if there’s not much of a difference I don’t think I will get one. Kind of like with the New 3DS which didn’t change very much, I am not sure I can justify buying a new model unless it’s a major upgrade.

But of course, if it’s too disparate that wouldn’t be good either, since those “stuck” with a regular Switch would be left in the dust...

I bought a N3DS because I actually used the 3D so when they said they made it more stable. I was on board and was worth the buy even if only 2 retail games needed the N3DS.

I really hope this new version is something more substantial than what they are listing here. This is why I don't upgrade my smartphone every year because the features they are claiming here does not seem worthwhile like those of smartphone upgrade. So this seem like a waste of money no matter how much this will cost.

Unless, the features is something I will use all the time then there might be a possibility to get one but I really doubt I'll change my mind on that.

I wouldn't be surprised since that's sort of been Nintendo's MO with their handhelds since…well always I guess if you count things like the GameBoy Pocket, and Sony and Microsoft have gotten into the same deals with upgraded PS4 and Xbox One models a few years after their initial release. 

I can't imagine there'd be any huge changes though since it'd divide the userbase, so I'd probably pass on it.

33 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I wouldn't be interested unless it was an actual hardware upgrade.... colors of system casings, docks, or JCs aren't something I'd do a swap out for.

Same here and even if that is the case the features better be something I'll use.

So far upgrades for Nintendo handhelds have been modest with this being their first hybrid console/handheld, how they going go about features worth while akin to actual upgrade?

8 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I bought a N3DS because I actually used the 3D so when they said they made it more stable. I was on board and was worth the buy even if only 2 retail games needed the N3DS.

I really hope this new version is something more substantial than what they are listing here. This is why I don't upgrade my smartphone every year because the features they are claiming here does not seem worthwhile like those of smartphone upgrade. So this seem like a waste of money no matter how much this will cost.

Unless, the features is something I will use all the time then there might be a possibility to get one but I really doubt I'll change my mind on that.

Word. Unless it's something that has a substantial improvement in the screen and what not, it's not worth it. Going from what I've read so far, it doesn't sound like that. In fact, it sounds like the screen is getting worse. I don't either. That kind of thing seems like a waste of money. And given that the system itself already costs $300... it's more of an investment than what a 3ds/New 3ds cost. People would be paying over $600 (for more than one system) just to have them both instead of around $300.

That said, I am a bit worried that they'll pull a New 3ds thing, that they'll have games that will only run on the newer system. That would really, really suck if they did that, especially since the original Switch is only around a year old. 

Edited by Doc Brown
1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

I wouldn't be interested unless it was an actual hardware upgrade.... colors of system casings, docks, or JCs aren't something I'd do a swap out for.

The article discusses exactly what you're asking for, it's why people are talking about it in the first place.

35 minutes ago, Chrom said:

The article discusses exactly what you're asking for, it's why people are talking about it in the first place.

Yeah, finally got to read an article about it.

I'd say they keep same size and find a way to get more ram, internal storage, and a faster processor at around the same current battery life.  Going bigger on the screen or overall size might take away from it being portable-- its already on the large size in that regard.

Just kind of interesting to listen too....

Edited by purple_beard

Hopefully a new Switch model coming in 2019 means that 2019 will be as strong as 2017 for Nintendo software i.e. Metroid Prime 4 and/or Bayonetta 3 coming out next year to balance the slate. I'm interested to see what this model does and how much more power it'll have. If the new model balances the power between undocked and docked (boosting undocked performance), I might go for it if only just to have a better experience with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It would be nice if the Switch itself and its new model get more features and personality leading into this launch. It's bad how behind the Switch is in terms of features over a year and a half later.

IMO there are 4 aspects of the switch to be looked at for a hardware upgrade:

Processor chip set

System RAM

On-board storage increased (even if the micro SD card slot and supported sizes are definitely high enough to make this less of a issue but.... just look at how PS and XBX like to get  you those large HDDs.)

Bluetooth headset capabilities.

And quite honestly, Nintendo's own games now of what has been seen of future releases really look like they can/will/could use more powerful hardware to make them run better, but the 3rd party ports are where some these specs would come more into play.  That said, you are fooling yourself if Nintendo would full spec clone a PS4 or a XBX_ into a tablet size system.  Also, with the success of the Switch, I doubt they go back to home only systems.... and IMO, portable only systems.

I'd really like to see a Switch spec bump, even if it's only a couple of years after the original release. The Switch released with Maxwell GPUs after Pascal GPUs became available, and NVIDIA has since released Turing. Pascal in particular was a huge improvement that significantly improved power efficiency and performance, and Turing only iterated further on that. We could see a pretty healthy performance gain on a new Switch within the same power envelope. Potentially really exciting stuff, in my opinion!