First Smash Bros release, what would be your 12 roster?

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

Jiggs was kinda pushed into Smash Bros and Ness was a weird choice.
I'd expect Inkling and Marth to be in there instead. 

F-Zero doesn't see the light of day nowadays but Nintendo still loves to worship all their old franchises so I don't think he's an obvious cut.
After all, look at fucking Ice Climbers in Melee. They hadn't been in a game for ages, even back then.

More than one person posted K Rool, though, which I find bizarre considering that he hasn't been in any of the recent DK games.
Certainly less relevant than Falcon.

If they were just aiming for fitting characters in without a specific limit, though (which would be much more likely), I'd expect to see something like:

Mario  Luigi  Peach  Bowser  Yoshi
Link  Zelda/Sheik  Ganon
Pikachu  Eevee  (you know they'd do this shit tying in with the new pokemon games)
Donkey  Inkling  Villager
Fox  Falcon  Samus  Marth

26 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

This is true, I should of been more specific in relevancy. So in your case not by popular demand or lack or appearance in game of late but by recent appearance in games?

It's funny you mention nostalgia for CF but is not on your list. CF is not that relevant and he hadn't have a game in about 15 years. That seems like easy bump similar to Jiggs and Ness.

LOL for two reason because, FE is whatever to you and the other is you're correct any character be in at this point cause of FE Heroes but going bey sheer relevancy there's a select few who fit that spot on the roster.

Shit, I forgot about him. He's pretty popular. Tho he wouldn't be clone for Mario or anything, he would of or more should of taken Luigi's spot IMO.

Nintendo has abandoned F Zero so no way they get an entry.... no new games since the GC.

DK, is also low on the totem pole for an initial roster IMO but ripe for DLC in a 12 man starter roster.  He has games appearing off and on and he's got a history with Mario.

As far as a FE character... I don't know who is popular in the series to give out names.... and I don't play the games as well so...  But, in terms of the last FE characters in Smash, I liked Corin > Roy > Robin > Ike > Marth > Lucina.  I actually found all the FE characters to be unique and decent in the game but Marth/Lucina were just too similar.

I'm feeling resurrecting that Zelda/Sheik swap style out of Melee ( and Brawl?) -- good call Pichi.

Yoshi?  He might be DLC if the roster is narrowed down to 12 starters.  He's got games and he's got clout but too many others are ahead of him in the pecking order.

7 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I find it interesting seeing the thought process of who is cut versus who is in because depending how you approach that can be challenging.

Jiggs, CF and Ness are obvious write offs. But why would Luigi, Fox be taken out, those are iffy choices and I'm surprised to see no one yet have both those character in their 12 roster. It's either one or the other and the rare none of the above.

Well, I was thinking about the first game, where Luigi was perhaps the first "echo fighter". For as much as everyone says that Melee's at fault for starting those, Luigi was ironically the first one. And as for Fox... he and his team has had it rough since the mediocrity known as Zero, even though I found it okay. And Starlink... it feels like he, Falco, and Wolf are just cameos just because Zero didn't do so well. Plus, even though he surfaced after a while like a certain angel, the former games didn't match the glory that was 64. And lookie: there's an interesting casual shooter IP that's a lot more relevant, even if it's more about the multiplayer.  

Why I wouldn't want Samus in the first twelve:

Different times, and she'd be borderline hardcore to today's Nintendo demographic. 

(... I chose my stages out of less-to-none stage hazards.)

And, I figure why stop at these twelve? I think I'll give my advice for the Melee wave, since most of us agree that Melee was the best. 14 characters, and 16 stages.

1 minute ago, Surge135 said:

Figured we would need a Fire Emblem rep and Corrin is the newest lord aside from Alm/Celica

Fair. I thought you just had more attachment to Corrin than other ones that came out on 3DS.

I'd choose Corrin for that reason because I his playstlye out of all of the FE reps in Smash. But went with the populace most likely go with, Chrom

2 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Fair. I thought you just had more attachment to Corrin than other ones that came out on 3DS.

I'd choose Corrin for that reason because I his playstlye out of all of the FE reps in Smash. But went with the populace most likely go with, Chrom

Corrin, Roy, and Robin I think are the best FE charachters from Smash 4.  Corrin is probably the most diverse in terms of moves and projectiles but something about Roy's flaming sword....

Just now, purple_beard said:

Corrin, Roy, and Robin I think are the best FE charachters from Smash 4.  Corrin is probably the most diverse in terms of moves and projectiles but something about Roy's flaming sword....

I agree with all those chars but Robin. I suck ass with but got his amiibo cause reasons and popularity. I'd replace Robin with Lucina cause reasons.

Corrin is literally best thing to happen for Smash for FE characters.

1 minute ago, DLurkster said:

I agree with all those chars but Robin. I suck ass with but got his amiibo cause reasons and popularity. I'd replace Robin with Lucina cause reasons.

Corrin is literally best thing to happen for Smash for FE characters.

Robin's spells were akin to Shulk's sword moves.  Also, the gusts underneath with jumping were cool.

1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

Robin's spells were akin to Shulk's sword moves.  Also, the gusts underneath with jumping were cool.

Wait, what Shulk sword moves?!? Unless I don't use Shulk a lot, (partially true) Shulk has a variety moves potential while Robin has his specials and two of them have several ways you can use them like Robin standard B has 3 charge levels and his up B trajectory can be moved slightly and that's about it.

1. Mario - Super Mario Odyssey

2. Luigi - Luigi's Mansion 3

3. Bowser - Super Mario Odyssey

4. Zelda - Hyrule Warriors

5. Samus - Metroid: Samus Returns, Metroid Prime 4

6. Pokemon Trainer* - Pokemon Let's Go

7. Lyn - Fire Emblem Heroes

8. Link - Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

9. Inkling - Splatoon 2

10. Villager - Pocket Camp, Animal Crossing 2019

11. Rex with Prya/Mythra - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

12. Kirby - Kirby Star Allies

I am only focused on characters with major releases within the last two years, have big upcoming Switch release(s) and/or have appeared in multiple games within the last two years.*****

I left out Yoshi due to a lack of development and over representation of the Mario Series in spite of the upcoming Yoshi's Crafted World. I left out DK because his major appearance has been through a port rather than through a successful new release, and I feel he's too Mario associated still like Yoshi. Peach is excluded again due to representation balance and she is not well developed enough with Super Mario Odyssey. I also felt Princess Zelda was the better of the two to include as while she lacks being well developed in Breath of the Wild she is very developed in Hyrule Warriors.

The Pokemon Trainer would only use two Pokemon: Pikachu and Eevee, with the ability to switch between the two.*

For the Fire Emblem rep, I looked up the best hero and heroine for Fire Emblem Heroes. What I got while making the list was Ike for heroes and Lyn for the heroines, so I went with Lyn to increase the female representation.

Min Min over Springman and Ribbon Girl simply due to being the first fighter to be featured in 3 ARMS Party Crash events and due to being either the devloper's or producer's favorite fighter in the game (revealed during a Nintendo Minute). Edit: Removed Min Min for Villager. :( Rex is included with the ability to swap between Pyra and Mythra as his blade.

I almost forgot Kirby. :P

Edited by IU

Mario

Luigi

Link

Samus

Yoshi

Pikachu

Marth

Donkey Kong

Inkling

Villager

Kirby

Fox

Pretty interesting topic and I had to struggle to come up with something that might be likely if the series was just starting out.  Because of that, my starting roster isn't much off the mark from the original Smash since I focused on getting characters that represented as many of their staple IP as possible.

My melee expansion: 

1.     Samus

2.      Fox

3.      Luigi

4.      Ganondorf

5.      Jigglypuff

6.      Daisy

7.      Lucina

8.      Sheik

9.      Shulk

10.   Young Link

11.   Lucario