First Smash Bros release, what would be your 12 roster?

Didn't want to make long sentence of the question, basically I'm saying if Smash Bros released for the first time on December 7, 2018. What be roster of characters based on relevancy of Nintendo IP's nowadays. To make this interesting and challenging, the roster size will be like the one based on the 64 game; 12 characters.

Also, to make sure this isn't filled with shoe-ins with 3rd party. No 3rd party characters. (not even ones like Bayonetta is allowed)

So only Nintendo IP characters and remember they have to be relevant today in gaming for Nintendo.

GO!

I'll post my roster once I see some posts here.

*If you like you can also list 9 stages like the amount 64 as well.

**I also do not take credit for this topic, I was inspired by the Patreon contributor questions asked on GameXplain weekly discussion vids for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

1) Mario 

2) Donkey Kong 

3) Link 

4) Zelda

5) Yoshi 

6) Kirby 

7) Pikachu 

8) Peach 

9) Bowser

10) Villager

11) Mewtwo 

12) Inkling 

Focus on casual players... (?) 

8 Stages-  

1) Battlefield

2) Yoshi's Island (Melee)

3) Corneria

4) Fountain of Dreams

5) Pokemon Stadium

6) Suzaku Castle

7) Temple

8) Smashville

Edited by XLW

Good stuff, guys. I like how Fox is not up there some would think with Starlink: Battle for Atlas would count as StarFox making a comeback, huh?

My list:

1) Mario

2) Donkey Kong

3) Peach

4) Bowser

5) Yoshi

6) Kirby

7) Isabelle

8) King K. Rool

9) Samus

10) Zelda

11) Inkling

12) Chrom

1) Mario

2) Luigi

3) Yoshi

4) Link

5) Donkey Kong

6) Samus

7) Kirby

8) Pikachu

9) Fox

10) Lucina

11) Inkling

12) Isabelle

Basing this on character relevancy, my list actually ended up being almost exactly the same as the original Smash Bros., which I guess says something about the character choices back then. So from 64 I cut Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff—the first two aren't relevant at all nowadays and Jigglypuff always felt like a silly character anyway. For new characters a Fire Emblem rep and a Splatoon rep are no-brainers, those are both huge franchises for Nintendo lately and I'd argue Lucina is probably the most recognizable face of Fire Emblem at this point, worldwide. And I put Isabelle in there because Animal Crossing is still huge too and she seems like a more interesting rep than Villager.

I find it interesting seeing the thought process of who is cut versus who is in because depending how you approach that can be challenging.

Jiggs, CF and Ness are obvious write offs. But why would Luigi, Fox be taken out, those are iffy choices and I'm surprised to see no one yet have both those character in their 12 roster. It's either one or the other and the rare none of the above.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Good stuff, guys. I like how Fox is not up there some would think with Starlink: Battle for Atlas would count as StarFox making a comeback, huh?

Fox was on my list till replacing him with K Rool.  I always like having opposite sides represented.  Cant really have Andross and cant have Wolf for a clone.  Also why Luigi didnt get on there. 

I agree he's hip, he's happenin' right now with Luigi Mansion launching on the 3DS this month and the 3rd game in the series next year for Switch.

But regardless of all of that he still the 2nd fiddle to me. Let's act like the Year of Luigi never happened.

The problem here is that we're using the roster size of an N64 game to limit the roster size of a Switch game that hypothetically would've started the franchise.

If you look at other crossover fighters like Dissidia Final Fantasy or Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, those games have way more fighters in their first installments because they originated on more powerful hardware.

I'd imagine that, if Smash as a concept hadn't existed until the Switch, there would be far more than twelve characters in the first game. Maybe something more like Melee's size.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

The problem here is that we're using the roster size of an N64 game to limit the roster size of a Switch game that hypothetically would've started the franchise.

If you look at other crossover fighters like Dissidia Final Fantasy or Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, those games have way more fighters in their first installments because they originated on more powerful hardware.

I'd imagine that, if Smash as a concept hadn't existed until the Switch, there would be far more than twelve characters in the first game. Maybe something more like Melee's size.

True but this is really more of a thought experiment than a serious attempt to create a modern fighting game.

Jiggs was kinda pushed into Smash Bros and Ness was a weird choice.
I'd expect Inkling and Marth to be in there instead. 

F-Zero doesn't see the light of day nowadays but Nintendo still loves to worship all their old franchises so I don't think he's an obvious cut.
After all, look at fucking Ice Climbers in Melee. They hadn't been in a game for ages, even back then.

More than one person posted K Rool, though, which I find bizarre considering that he hasn't been in any of the recent DK games.
Certainly less relevant than Falcon.

If they were just aiming for fitting characters in without a specific limit, though (which would be much more likely), I'd expect to see something like:

Mario  Luigi  Peach  Bowser  Yoshi
Link  Zelda/Sheik  Ganon
Pikachu  Eevee  (you know they'd do this shit tying in with the new pokemon games)
Donkey  Inkling  Villager
Fox  Falcon  Samus  Marth

I guess you saw that subject on GX too....

1) FE character ___ not sure who, but one makes it.

2) Inkling / Octoling   done as a pallet swap

3) Mario --alt skin for Luigi colors

4) Kirby --too many titles out in the market

5) Wario  --too many Wario Ware games

6) a Pokemon Trainer --  Male/Female alts:  3 Pokemon would be their base but I would say you get to pick your pokes from 6 choices to make your 3.  I think the pool of the six would have to include Pikachu but not sure who would round out my other 5 for the pool.

7) Star Fox/Falco as pallet swap: Atlas game helps keep him in.

8) Bowser --need a villain

9) BotW Link / Link.  Probably use pallet swaps for alt skins

10) Ganon, probably BotW version as main but could have alt skins.

11) Peach

12) Zelda

DLC ADDS:

1) 2nd FE character

2) Luigi  -- his games are still hitting.

3) Samus --  MP4 tie in along with the re-release of that game last year on 3DS keeps her up there.

4) Animal Crossing character

5) Donkey Kong

Arenas

8 CORE:

1) Mario Odyssey inspired one

2) 2nd Mario series inspired one

3) OoT inspired Zelda one

4) BotW inspired Zelda one.

5) Pokemon themed one.

6) Wario Ware inspired one.

7) Kirby inspired one

8) Splatoon inspired one

DLC Adds:

1) FE inspired one

2) Metroid inspired one

3) DK inspired one

4) AC inspired one.

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

More than one person posted K Rool, though, which I find bizarre considering that he hasn't been in any of the recent DK games.
Certainly less relevant than Falcon.

This is true, I should of been more specific in relevancy. So in your case not by popular demand or lack or appearance in game of late but by recent appearance in games?

It's funny you mention nostalgia for CF but is not on your list. CF is not that relevant and he hadn't have a game in about 15 years. That seems like easy bump similar to Jiggs and Ness.

19 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

1) FE character ___ not sure who, but one makes it.

LOL for two reason because, FE is whatever to you and the other is you're correct any character be in at this point cause of FE Heroes but going bey sheer relevancy there's a select few who fit that spot on the roster.

25 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

5) Wario  --too many Wario Ware games

Shit, I forgot about him. He's pretty popular. Tho he wouldn't be clone for Mario or anything, he would of or more should of taken Luigi's spot IMO.

3 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

CF is not that relevant and he hadn't have a game in about 15 years.

but as i mentioned, Nintendo loves heralding their older icons, too, and Falcon is the face of a once high-selling staple franchise.
K Rool wasn't exactly ever a series icon the way any of the Kongs were, though.

2 minutes ago, Pichi said:

but as i mentioned, Nintendo loves heralding their older icons, too, and Falcon is the face of a once high-selling staple franchise.
K Rool wasn't exactly ever a series icon the way any of the Kongs were, though.

True but that's just weird that CF only lives thru Smash and tho DK series is more know for the Kongs I feel you can't look at the country series without think of K rool, tho. So I feel the go hand and why most put in up despite his appearance in recent games. It's similar to CF only that Nintendo for some keep CF relevant is Smash I get that but those who don't know better will grow-up think CF is Smash made character or something.