The Boneyard - N4A Chat Thread, October 2018

Chrom

Spent 30+ hours routing and practicing Boulder Dash on the NES this week only to choke super hard in a race.
It was a challenge to learn and race a game in a week, and this one didn't even have any real RTA runs.
It's super fun so i'm glad I put in the effort anyway, but damn the disappointment/salt was real.
I'll probably keep running though since it's a crazy game and the experience of a fun, unexplored NES speedgame is really unique since most good, fast old games have long speedrun history. Especially Nintendo games.

Edited by Pichi
4 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

Yes, that was a real thing that happened. That's four minutes of a 42 minute television episode produced by Dick Wolf.

Granted I haven’t seen the episode but judging from the clip it looks more like it was targeting misogyny in gaming in general (which does exist, although not sure this extreme a situation has any real-life counterpart, but could be wrong) rather than gamergate specifically (which was a giant mess of differing opinions and approaches, anyway). Unless they did specifically reference gamergate? If the latter, I can see it being a case of generalization, but judging from the video alone that doesn’t seem clear to me. The editing is a bit too fast for me, if they said “gamergate” I didn’t hear it. :P

7 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

gamergate specifically (which was a giant mess of differing opinions and approaches, anyway)

you mean a giant mess of different excuses for a long-term harassment campaign against various women

7 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

Granted I haven’t seen the episode but judging from the clip it looks more like it was targeting misogyny in gaming in general (which does exist, although not sure this extreme a situation has any real-life counterpart, but could be wrong) rather than gamergate specifically (which was a giant mess of differing opinions and approaches, anyway). Unless they did specifically reference gamergate? If the latter, I can see it being a case of generalization, but judging from the video alone that doesn’t seem clear to me. The editing is a bit too fast for me, if they said “gamergate” I didn’t hear it. :P 

I can't tell if you the word "gamergate" is actually uttered in the episode, but the episode was inspired by gamergate. It's one of Law & Order's "ripped from the headlines" episodes. 

They've done a ton over the years; above is a link to the Law & Order wiki's list detailing which episodes were ripped from which headline. They can have a remarkable fast turnaround time- for example, the recent episode Zero Tolerance was ripped from the Trump administration's family separation policy, which was implemented back in April. 

8 hours ago, Pichi said:

you mean a giant mess of different excuses for a long-term harassment campaign against various women

Right, there was certainly that happening. I did see a few videos advocating gamergate with women involved though (not, like, with terrorists standing behind them), so I didn’t want to generalize. :P 

@blcdude1: Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, they are selling a product. They would want to jump on whatever band wagon they can.