Pokemon

Doc Brown

What's your favorite games of the series? What are you looking forward to in the future Switch games?

I love a lot of the main stream games from the series, started with Red, Blue and Yellow and have enjoyed the series as it has grown and changed over the years. Looking forward to both the new Let's Go games and the 2019 new entry for the main series.

Pokemon Gold/Silver or even Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

A lot of it comes from nostalgia. Games that were released in the fall and have had an impact on grade school for me that year. Just the atmosphere and music it provided and of course 16 gyms and being able to go back to Kanto and witness the differences was pretty great as well. 

Each Gen since then I feel like has had its ups and downs. As much as people dread it, it will be cool to go back to Kanto and see what it's like in 3D. More interested to see what they do for next year's games though.

16 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

My favourite just happens to be Emerald, perhaps due in no small part to it featuring my favourite Pokémon Rayquaza.

I am hoping for an all region mashup, some kind of truly global Pokémon game. With the power available to them on Switch vs. say the 3DS, I think they could do it.

Cool. I love that game too, and I loved being able to clone items and Pokemon, along with fighting in Battle Tower, and getting shiny Rayquaza.

That would pretty neat! It would be awesome if they could do it. Closest I've seen is a fan thing, PokeMMO. Very fun to play and wish that the Pokemon company would make something along similar lines.

15 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Pokemon Gold/Silver or even Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

A lot of it comes from nostalgia. Games that were released in the fall and have had an impact on grade school for me that year. Just the atmosphere and music it provided and of course 16 gyms and being able to go back to Kanto and witness the differences was pretty great as well. 

Each Gen since then I feel like has had its ups and downs. As much as people dread it, it will be cool to go back to Kanto and see what it's like in 3D. More interested to see what they do for next year's games though.

Heck yea. Gold and Silver are my favorite generation. Agreed. Just being able to have fun discovering the new stuff to do in game was worh while.

Word. I get tired of them taking out stuff that made games more fun, like being able to dig for treasure in Diamond/Pearl, they kind of brought it back in Sun/Moon, but it's not the same having Pokemon do the work for you.

Definitely. I'm so hyped for both games for what it's worth. I have some Pokemon set aside to trade over to Let's Go. A Lapras, a low CP Pidgeot named Kmart (since I caught it in a Kmart parking lot lol), a Rapidash, a Ditto that's that new Pokemon.

Pokemon Black is my favorite currently. I really liked the look of the Unova region, and how they showcased some locations with different camera angles like Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City. It made the region feel more alive than just having a fixed angle for the entirety of a game. The Generation V Pokemon designs were appealing to me for the most part and it felt like a return to simpler designs: I think Generation V is very comparable to Generation I. The gameplay and presentation within battles is solid. I like both the unlimited TM use change that Pokemon Black made and the moving sprites were really cool to see. The game overall just felt more alive and faster than previous entries.

I think Pokemon Let's Go Eevee has a strong chance to dethrone Pokemon Black. Pokemon Go has been the most enjoyable experience I've had with Pokemon in spite of its flaws and not being a RPG experience, and it's at its best with the Kanto Pokemon. The Let's Go games for me are very close to my ideal Pokemon experience right now. The only change I would make is to include the full evolution lines related to the Kanto Pokemon, involving quite a few Pokemon that were first introduced after Generation 1. I would love to see some DLC events or just see the games updated with those Pokemon.

Until I see footage of the 2019 games, I have zero excitement for them. A continuation of whatever Ultra Sun/Moon did is almost the opposite of what I'd want to play through. I'm fine with simplified mechanics in a Pokemon game, but I'm not fine with more tedium and having the narrative drag my experience around. I forced myself to beat the league in X/Y, but I quit early with Pokemon Moon. The games need to open up and stop hindering the player for these stories.