New Castlevania game(s) going to PS4 only?

Rondo of Blood, available to the west for the first time since Wii Virtual Console? Dangit, now I have to either bite the bullet and support Konami or do without. Coming away from Order of Ecclesia, these are the two Castlevania games I'm most interested in playing next, not counting 1 and 3 on NES. I'm less fussed about there ostensibly not being a Switch version, though the PS4 exclusivity is a strange choice. Though to be fair, we're talking about PC Engine and PS1 ports, respectively. No physical edition, it looks like, which is a bummer. 

Hopefully they translated Rondo and addressed the atrocious load times in Symphony.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Sony is involved in the remastering process, which explains the PS4 exclusivity. It's more of a Bayonetta 2 situation, then.

Edited by Laclipsey
34 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Maybe it's just because neither was ever released on a Nintendo system, not counting the Rondo of Blood remake for SNES, Dracula X. It does seem like the perfect time to put them on the Switch with Smash Ultimate just around the corner, though.

- Points to the numerous FF games that WEREN'T on Nintendo consoles until many years later.  

Rondo of Blood, available to the west for the first time since Wii Virtual Console? Dangit, now I have to either bite the bullet and support Konami or do without. Coming away from Order of Ecclesia, these are the two Castlevania games I'm most interested in playing next, not counting 1 and 3 on NES. I'm less fussed about there ostensibly not being a Switch version, though the PS4 exclusivity is a strange choice. Though to be fair, we're talking about PC Engine and PS1 ports, respectively. No physical edition, it looks like, which is a bummer. 

Hopefully they translated Rondo and addressed the atrocious load times in Symphony.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Sony is involved in the remastering process, which explains the PS4 exclusivity. It's more of a Bayonetta 2 situation, then. 

- Points to the Ace Attorney Trilogy, sadly. ... Maybe.

Edited by XLW
17 minutes ago, XLW said:

- Points to the Ace Attorney Trilogy, sadly. ... Maybe.

I'm unfamiliar. What happened to Ace Attorney Trilogy? Also, who ported it? Capcom, Nintendo, or outsource company? 

59 minutes ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

Not really, they just exchanged their artistic mind for a purely money-making one. It's the trend of the industry to be honest.

I'd argue that's the trend of industry in general. Still, the firing of Kojima was really just the tip of the iceberg. 

Edited by Laclipsey
  • 2 weeks later...

So apparently Rondo and Symphony are going to have English dubs and reworked scripts based on the PSP Dracula X Chronicles. That means no "miserable little pile of secrets" shenanigans. BUT. The Dracula X Chronicles script and dub happens to be excellent, with David Vincient (Jin Kisaragi from Blazblue, Robin from Fire Emblem) as Richter and Patrick Seitz (Ragna the Bloodedge from Blazblue, Hector from Fire Emblem) as Dracula. 

Also David Vincent is going to be Richter in Smash, so nice continuity nod. 

On 9/27/2018 at 12:30 PM, purple_beard said:

So weird a collection appears and the Switch isn't involved considering Simon and Richter are heading to Smash.

We got Snake in Brawl and the only thing Metal Gear Solid related we got between then and now was a cruddy port of Snake Eater on 3DS.  Maybe you can count cameos too like in Bomberman R.  Would be nice to see some Castlevania love after the Belmonts making it to Smash at least, though.

4 hours ago, Kezay said:

We got Snake in Brawl and the only thing Metal Gear Solid related we got between then and now was a cruddy port of Snake Eater on 3DS.  Maybe you can count cameos too like in Bomberman R.  Would be nice to see some Castlevania love after the Belmonts making it to Smash at least, though.

It's possible that the new website is indicative of something in the works for Castlevania fairly soon. So far the only thing it teases is Requiem, but it seems a little far to go for a rerelease of two legacy games, particularly if Konami wasn't thinking about utilizing the IP soon. 

I already have it on pre-order for the PS4. Symphony & Rondo are 2 of my all time favorite games ever. It is a bit of a let down that we are getting the redone PSP Symphony but I am ok with that. I have the PS1 version on my PSTV and have never played the PSP version, so it will be cool to see the differences. Rondo was only released on the PSP and VC. I have it on VC but it will be nice to have on the PS4 too. Figured it would only be on PS4 since Symphony is a pretty big Sony game. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else going through Rondo right now? I passed up on it when it was on Wii, so I'm really stoked to be able to play it now. The challenge is definitely on par with Castlevania 1 and Order of Ecclesia. The multiple paths through each level are a fascinating touch. The voice acting is all kinds of cheese, and I love it. And the music. Good. Gravy. 

Also Maria is bonkers and turns the game into easy mode. XD I find it more gratifying to play as Richter, though, so I'm trying to go through it with him first. 

My plan is to finish Rondo before trying Symphony,  but I'm looking forward to that, too. 

8 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

Anyone else going through Rondo right now? I passed up on it when it was on Wii, so I'm really stoked to be able to play it now. The challenge is definitely on par with Castlevania 1 and Order of Ecclesia. The multiple paths through each level are a fascinating touch. The voice acting is all kinds of cheese, and I love it. And the music. Good. Gravy. 

Also Maria is bonkers and turns the game into easy mode. XD I find it more gratifying to play as Richter, though, so I'm trying to go through it with him first. 

My plan is to finish Rondo before trying Symphony,  but I'm looking forward to that, too. 

I am going through Rondo right now.  I did get it on the Wii when it first released on VC and it was a HUGE REASON why I was so excited about the Wii before it ever came out.  Rondo of Blood is one of those games I learned about around the early 2000s and I tried like hell to get the ISO image and burn it, but I could not find a working ISO because around 2000 or so, Konami got very aggressive and went after virtually every ROM site that had working ISOs.  So for years I could not get a working ISO and just finally gave up.  Then I saw in Nintendo Power before the Wii even launched that Turbografx-16 was going to be coming to VC along with imported titles as well.  As soon as I saw that, I knew there was a good chance that Rondo of Blood was going to show up on it and it literally sold me on buying a Wii.  It took years, but it finally did show up and all those years of waiting for an official release was worth every second I waited. 

It is undoubtedly the best 16-bit Castlevania game and even outdoes it's 8-bit cousins.  Some will say Symphony of the Night is a better game, but it is sort of like comparing apples and oranges since the game play is drastically different.  Although I have Rondo of Blood on my Wii U and the PS1 Classic Symphony of the Night version on my Playstation TV, having both games on the PS4 makes it a lot easier, especially for video capture purposes since for some reason, the PSTV does not like to play nice with my El Gato card due to HDCP encryption and I have tried just about everything to bypass it.  It is a lot more convenient to have both games on PS4 which easily allows me to bypass HDCP via the settings menu and I am interested to try Symphony of the Night out with the new voice acting.  I am sure it will be disappointing at first considering I also grew up with the original, but I have heard there are several extras they added to the PSP version of the game and I would like to try them out.  I know some of the reviews have really slammed the shit out of the compilation for being a bared bones release, but what did they expect?  It is an easy cash grab and Konami can gladly have my $16 or whatever I spent on it.  You are getting the 2 best Castlevania games ever made for dirt cheap in one compilation and you don't have to go dig out a Playstation Vita or a PSP, or play the games across several different consoles to enjoy them.

18 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

I am going through Rondo right now.  I did get it on the Wii when it first released on VC and it was a HUGE REASON why I was so excited about the Wii before it ever came out.  Rondo of Blood is one of those games I learned about around the early 2000s and I tried like hell to get the ISO image and burn it, but I could not find a working ISO because around 2000 or so, Konami got very aggressive and went after virtually every ROM site that had working ISOs.  So for years I could not get a working ISO and just finally gave up.  Then I saw in Nintendo Power before the Wii even launched that Turbografx-16 was going to be coming to VC along with imported titles as well.  As soon as I saw that, I knew there was a good chance that Rondo of Blood was going to show up on it and it literally sold me on buying a Wii.  It took years, but it finally did show up and all those years of waiting for an official release was worth every second I waited. 

It is undoubtedly the best 16-bit Castlevania game and even outdoes it's 8-bit cousins.  Some will say Symphony of the Night is a better game, but it is sort of like comparing apples and oranges since the game play is drastically different.  Although I have Rondo of Blood on my Wii U and the PS1 Classic Symphony of the Night version on my Playstation TV, having both games on the PS4 makes it a lot easier, especially for video capture purposes since for some reason, the PSTV does not like to play nice with my El Gato card due to HDCP encryption and I have tried just about everything to bypass it.  It is a lot more convenient to have both games on PS4 which easily allows me to bypass HDCP via the settings menu and I am interested to try Symphony of the Night out with the new voice acting.  I am sure it will be disappointing at first considering I also grew up with the original, but I have heard there are several extras they added to the PSP version of the game and I would like to try them out.  I know some of the reviews have really slammed the shit out of the compilation for being a bared bones release, but what did they expect?  It is an easy cash grab and Konami can gladly have my $16 or whatever I spent on it.  You are getting the 2 best Castlevania games ever made for dirt cheap in one compilation and you don't have to go dig out a Playstation Vita or a PSP, or play the games across several different consoles to enjoy them.

Uh-huh. It's rapidly becoming one of my favorites. Though to be honest I haven't played enough Castlevania for that to mean much. At this point I've only beaten Order of Ecclesia, and I've spent a fair bit of time with Castlevania 1, Simon's Quest, and Circle of the Moon. Rondo is something special, though. Despite loving Metroidvanias to death I've always had a soft spot for the Classicvanias.