Dragalia Lost

Chrom

I was a bit disappointment when I finally beat Chapter 6 (Huge difficulty spike on the Chapter 6 Boss by the way. 5500 recommended might, my ass... lshifty;), only to find out that Chapter 7 and beyond are still in development. We'll have to wait for them, kind of a bummer.

Anyways, yeah, now that I fixed my Co-op issue. Between having Stamina for Missions and those Wings for Co-op, and the fact that they both replenish as you level up, I'm now finding it very hard to run out of either. kind of makes me wonder why they even bothered at all. In any event, Co-op is a great way to get Wyrmite, you get 50 for each person you've co-op'd with for the first time. I got 3000 in just a couple of hours, which is pretty nuts. Just keep playing Co-op with random people and you're almost always guaranteed 150, on top of whatever goodies those high level mobs drop.

6 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

Just downloaded this thing and, man... the voices and visual effects are top-notch, but everything else feels like crap. The story opens with this mysterious woman warning Blonde Anime Protagonist not to make the pact, and how does she try to persuade him? By just telling him not to, and then summoning evil darkness blobs. The only appeal is some "turning into dragons" thing that might have been cool if it was the first time I'd ever heard of dragons. This story is so bad it's truly painful.

Yeah, the story is very meh, and very cliche'd, but the character interactions are what's keeping me going. Personally, I think the dialogue is pretty solid. I just enjoy watching everyone bounce off of each other. There have been more than a few laugh out loud moments.

The rest of the game is a hot mess. I have no idea what's going on. Why are some of my summons pictures and scenery instead of characters? I got two 5* summons, "Worthy Rivals" and a busty bikini pyromancer. So is one a character, and the other is a skill to equip?

Yeah, it's a little silly and confusing at first. Think of the illustration as the Accessories in any other RPG. They grant a myriad of bonus effects such as protection from Debuff,  Elemental resistances, boosting skill damage, Enhanced Healing, etc.

The home screen music is unbearable, and that animation of the prince walking along the path is absolutely one of the doofiest things I've ever seen in my life. It's nothing like Fire Emblem Heroes, which prides itself on a clean, responsive interface. It's more confusing than Yugioh Duel Links' cluttered and laggy menus. 

Yeah, completely agree, it's kind of mess. Menus within menus within menus, and I often forget where shit is... But if the 3D models and Music aren't really your thing, there may at least be a remedy for that. You can go into the System section of Options and set the Main menu from 3D to 2D, where it will just show your current Leader's artwork. As for the music, there's another option where vocals can be turned off, which actually remixes the entire soundtrack, since they added instruments to each song to make up for the lack of vocals.  

Edited by Marxforever
8 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

The rest of the game is a hot mess. I have no idea what's going on. Why are some of my summons pictures and scenery instead of characters? I got two 5* summons, "Worthy Rivals" and a busty bikini pyromancer. So is one a character, and the other is a skill to equip?

Yeah, certain games like Danmemo and Fate/Grand Order has this mechanic as well. Yes, one is a character you use to fight with, and the Wyrmprints help enhance your unit or team to various effects. Though compared to Danmemo's Adventurer/Assist and FGO's Servant/Craft Essence, Dragalia's seems a bit more involved by throwing dragons into the mix, though I guess you can treat them as an adventurer variant.

Edited by avalonknight

I love just about everything with the game, but I'd say what bothers me the most about it is how it conflates the player's in-game name with the name of the main character of the story (aka Euden). It's a bit alienating trying to be immersed in the story when his name is going to be something unintended. I much prefer the way FE Heroes does it by having a genuine, ambiguously gendered avatar who's just an observer rather than being the main character.

39 minutes ago, Chrom said:

I love just about everything with the game, but I'd say what bothers me the most about it is how it conflates the player's in-game name with the name of the main character of the story (aka Euden). It's a bit alienating trying to be immersed in the story when his name is going to be something unintended. I much prefer the way FE Heroes does it by having a genuine, ambiguously gendered avatar who's just an observer rather than being the main character.

Speaking of that game, my final thought is that Fire Emblem Heroes wishes it could have a tenth of the vocal direction of Dragalia Lost. Draglia's VAs have so much emotion, where FEH's cast is full of horribly botched lines. And while Dragalia's women may be nothing but titty blimps, it's FEH that gives so many of its women those grating chipmunk voices.

I mean, that archer assassin lady is the closest I'll ever be to turning straight. I'd forgotten what quality voice acting sounds like.

Yeah I love the voice acting in Dragalia Lost, it's super good. It's just a shame that the default English voice language actually doesn't fully voice everything compared to Japanese, I wonder why they cut corners about that. In the Japanese setting the story scenes have more recorded voice lines and the characters who randomly appear in the menus have voices as well (even Nina the shopkeeper).

Well if we're really going to talk about sound can we just appreciate how freaking awesome the soundtrack in this game is? I'm actually having a lot of fun with Dragalia Lost personally. Sure the plot isn't "deep" but I find the characters fun and for me liking the characters tends to be even more important than the main story (see Fire Emblem Fates). My biggest gripe is really just the item/mechanic bloat which @Destiny Hero sort of alluded too. Once you get what it's all for it makes sense but it's still a bit overbearing. However, the alternative is something like Fire Emblem Heroes where character pulls fill the role of units, skills, and weapons all in one which is a bit of a double-edged sword. I like that once you pull a character you just have it. There is no merging, or IVS or having to sacrifice it for its skills. 

So far weapon crafting/upgrading is probably the most "tedious" feeling aspect to me. Having to fully unbind a weapon and level it to max in order for it to upgrade to then be used as an unbind for another weapon seems kind of ridiculous, and I'm only working on 3-star weapons. I'm sure 5-star weapons are going to be absolutely brutal in that regard. At least weapons aren't RNG I suppose. Sure their grindy but you don't have to risk losing a weapon to upgrade it like in some (mostly oldschool) MMO's and it's not part of the gacha which is kind of nice. 

Also, I haven't mentioned it here but I somehow lucked out and got Vanessa in my tutorial summon. She's only a 4 star so I'm sure she's not that rare but as someone who: Like fire, has red hair, prefers Axes and likes Barbarian types" she was the best first summon I could think of. 

Edited by Igneous42

The summoning music is a real jam, it helps creates a really fun pulling experience. I actually only recently learned it's not original music, but it's a song from a real life artist from a few years ago and they got her to do other music for the game.

I'm also 110% satisfied with my tutorial summon, Karina. She hits the right notes for me personally despite only being a four star. I haven't fully fleshed out a team to main yet, but I use Karina along with Aeleen, another character I'm really into, who mechanically synergizes really well with her because Aeleen's Valhallan Ballad enhances Karina's Raging Tide and Healing Doublebuff. I actually didn't plan this to work out this way, but the fact that it happens to just convinces me that I should stick with it.

In any case, building an efficient team with members who compliment or cover each other seems really important, so when I summon I couldn't care less for five stars unless they fit with what I may be interested doing with the other adventurers I've already been investing in.

On 10/2/2018 at 6:51 PM, Marxforever said:

Anyways, yeah, now that I fixed my Co-op issue. Between having Stamina for Missions and those Wings for Co-op, and the fact that they both replenish as you level up, I'm now finding it very hard to run out of either. kind of makes me wonder why they even bothered at all. In any event, Co-op is a great way to get Wyrmite, you get 50 for each person you've co-op'd with for the first time. I got 3000 in just a couple of hours, which is pretty nuts. Just keep playing Co-op with random people and you're almost always guaranteed 150, on top of whatever goodies those high level mobs drop.

Maybe you already know by now but it turns out getting wyrmite from co-op partners is only a limited bonus. Eventually the reward is replaced by mana. That's how it's been for me since the other day. I'd personally rather have the wyrmite be permanent but I understand they can't just give out currency like that so easily.

I've actually been decently impressed with the raid so far. There actual mechanics and such. Goes back to that bit of an "MMO feel" I mentioned interested me about Dragalia lost.

I also really like the ally character, seems it won't take too much to keep her permanently as long as you use her often in quests and the event. Tbh I'm actually kind of surprised she's the one we're getting for free, seems like she's the kind of character that would normally be "bait" on the banner. 

Yup, that's the alert for when they gave out that tenfold summon voucher to kick off the raid event today. Couldn't tell you why it's displayed in Japanese unless you might have fiddled with the settings, though from my experience I've noticed the game is sort of buggy with displaying the other language text very briefly so maybe that could be related.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:40 PM, Gold said:

The summoning event has 4 new five stars, and I've pulled one of each of the new five star accessories.

I also pulled the dragon from the raid pull.

As soon as you pull Pele, make sure you reset the lottery so you can pull him again. You want to get five before the event is over so you can fully unbind him. It'll probably be many, many months, and take a great deal of (good/bad) luck before a free2player is able to get a "legimate" fully undound 5-Star Dragon. Might as well grab the opportunity. You can get a few Pele's as Emblem rewards as well.

Edited by Marxforever
1 hour ago, Marxforever said:

As soon as you pull Pele, make sure you reset the lottery so you can pull him again. You want to get five before the event is over so you can fully unbind him. It'll probably be many, many months, and take a great deal of (good/bad) luck before a free2player is able to get a "legimate" fully undound 5-Star Dragon. Might as well grab the opportunity. You can get a few Pele's as Emblem rewards as well.

I reset after getting both the accessory and Pele, and will continue to reset after only Pele now. Needed one more accessory.

Yesterday, an interview with Dragalia's Lost director was uploaded (and had a Machi Asobi fair attendee's summary translated) with some tidbits. The bullet points below are some of the important/interesting parts:

• Originally there were orchestral tracks in the OST, but they were removed

• There will be more characters coming from Granblue Fantasy and Rage of Bahamut

• Skyfarers at Nintendo provided a lot of feedback to the team (aka "Do this like Granblue" and "Dont do this like Granblue").

• For example, getting rid of the MVP red chest in multiplayer was one of their suggestion.

• The story is co-written with Nintendo

• Would love to get an anime adaptation with ufotable sometime soon

• The execs at Cygames is giving pressure to the DL team as they want DL to be the new face of Cygames.

Also, DL is doing well for itself in Japan in terms of revenue:

dragalialostvwf04.png

While download totals aren't exactly the highest (last I saw was somewhere north of 800K downloads I believe?), it's good to keep in mind the game has only officially launched in four countries (Japan, United States, Macau and Hong Kong). For a brand new IP with its only brand recognition being the names Nintendo and Cygames, it's off to a nice start.

Edited by Isotope
28 minutes ago, Gold said:

Need 1 more Pele for a full unbound, and 2 more Defenders for my second full unbound. After the last Pele reset, does Defender still stay in the pulls?

Yeah, you could theoretically get infinite Defenders, since every reset past the 4th one has the same 976 items, including Defender. However, after you've pulled the last Pele, t won't let you reset until you've pulled every last item. That's 1,952 Blazon Emblems per reset. It takes awhile...

6 minutes ago, Marxforever said:

Yeah, you could theoretically get infinite Defenders, since every reset past the 4th one has the same 976 items, including Defender. However, after you've pulled the last Pele, t won't let you reset until you've pulled every last item. That's 1,952 Blazon Emblems per reset. It takes awhile...

Yeah, I'm only going to do the second one.

I've 2/3 on expert, and I've given up on getting the ??? title due to my lack of water units.

Edited by Gold