Dragalia Lost

Chrom

There are already people attempting to make reroll guides and such. Without a prior connection to any of the characters, I don't think I really have a reason to reroll? Other than maybe trying to start with a guaranteed 5-star. I also know there are roles similar to an MMO in Dragalia Lost, not sure if it'd be worth rerolling to get a 5-star tank since that it was I typically like in MMOs. At this point, my biggest question about Dragalia lost is how/if there is going to be motivation for having several different "teams" as opposed to focusing on a core few of each role. Sounds like there aren't IVs or merges, so characters are a bit tougher to get a hold of but I feel like having a reason to play several characters is such a big selling point of FEH. Really curious to see how that works out for Dragalia Lost. 

That said I'm actually decently excited to check this out. I'm a big WoW/MMO player, and though Dragalia Lost isn't quite an MMO it still seems to share some basics. 

Code is 

Edited by Igneous42
1 minute ago, Chrom said:

I honestly don't recommend rerolling. I don't believe it's worth it when in the long run you should know what you'll really want later and it's not going to be at launch.

I rerolled once because I didn't get any 5-star anything.
I rerolled again and got Xainfried, and no other 5 star stuff.

But yeah, I mostly agree.  I wasn't planning on rerolling dozens of times, but I at least wanted to feel like I got *something*.

Just gonna say, I'm really enjoying this game so far.

The only other Gotcha style-RPG I played seriously was Terra Battle, and I guess Fire Emblem, but I didn't get as into that one as I did Terra Battle. That game had a really novel battle system that made it more of a tactical puzzle game, honestly I'd probably still be playing it today if the game hadn't gone full Pay-to-Win mode a few years ago.

Spoiler

Trust me, I do not throw that term around lightly. I actually really enjoy a challenge, and will purposely avoid over leveling. But yeah, Terra Battle really pulled a dick move in this regard.  To give you the long and short of it, without going too much into it. The game had a massive "update" that added a ton of content. New missions, stories, bosses, a metric shit load of new equipment, and added a brand new Luck stat to characters. At first it looked really cool, and yeah, luck! Better drop rates....

Until you realized that all of the new bosses had attacks that, no joke, one-shot your entire party and were completely unavoidable. As it turns out all of that fancy new equipment, literally hundreds of them, were designed to make the wearer immune to each boss' unique one-shot move, AND only that Boss' one-shot move. And these equipment were all character specific. So if you wanted to bring your main party to take out boss B you'll have to pull each piece of the equipment, from a lottery mind you, that your best characters could actually wear to make them immune to Boss B's specific one-shot move. Repeat for for every single new boss.

I'm not kidding. And that new luck stat? Turns out that beating these new bosses was completely pointless as they could only drop their best items, and again only a small chance, if your entire party's luck was maxed. A process that would actually take years without spending hundreds of dollars pulling everybody's luck. Oh yeah, did I mention the only way to raise a character's luck was to pull their luck from a separate luck pool that had all of the characters in it, with their original pull rates?  This luck pool cost as much as the actual character pool to boot, and each time you got a specific character's "luck", even if they have a 0.01 percent chance to appear, it boosted their luck a whopping 10%...

Yeah, I gave my account away on reddit once I figured out what was happening to the game. It's a shame too, it was once a really unique and fun experience.

Anyways, there are some really cool things I'm noticing about this game when I compare it to Terra Battle that I find really interesting.

For one thing, and I'm not sure if this is the Mobile RPG standard now, but in Dragalia Lost, your stamina does not deplete until you complete a mission. That means if you get in over your head and get your ass handed to you, don't lose stamina for the attempt. I love this! Like I said I like to challenge myself, so knowing if there's a super hard boss or level, I know I can beat, I can keep trying until I do it. In Terra Battle, just three failed attempts, and there went your play session. It really discouraged pushing yourself. I don't remember if Fire Emblem did this too, but I don't recall it doing so.

Secondly I think it's really cool how much story and development all of the none main characters get. Having a huge cast of characters that have great designs, that are fun and interesting to use in battle, is one thing. But, in Terra Battle, all you ever knew about these character was what little info you got from their bios. Any and all dialogue was reserved for the small handful of mandatory characters. In Dragalia Lost however, each and every character, besides wandering around your castle grounds, showing off some personality, and just feeling like they actually inhabit the same world as your the main characters. But everyone of them has an introduction story, what led them to your door step, but actually get further developed with a plethora of cut scenes you unlock as you develop their stats. You really get to know them, and I think it's a pretty brilliant system for a game like this. The writing's not half-bad either. It's got some chuckles out of me, and some of those Dragon Stories really made me think. Not bad considering how rushed and cliche the game's opening chapter was.

And can I just say this game's got some bite too? Let me tell you, Chapater 6 with my Might level hovering just over the recommendation, has become noticeably harder. I can't just run in like a fool swingin'. I have to take my time, asset terrain layouts, pick my targets carefully, be quick with my dodges, and mindful of ambushes. I really can really appreciate that. Sure it's probably hard to encourage spending. But those of us who don't mind a gaming experience that actually fights back, and actually live for it. It's nice to play an RPG that's feels like it's actively working against me.

Finally, I find the quirky J-Pop music super enjoyable. Sure, there are some superb scores in this game, especially for the more atmospheric and somber moments. But I live for shit like the Great Wrym battle theme.

Name: Tom

Friend Code: 9901 0986 122

Edited by Marxforever

FE Heroes doesn't have that exact same system in place of not depleting stamina if you don't complete a mission, but stamina costs are really low all around and the special Hero Battles never cost any stamina anymore, so you can push yourself to complete some of hardest challenges with hardly any repercussion just the same as in Dragalia Lost.

hello im here to give my thorough opinions bc i played this for a total of like 10 minutes and obviously know everything there is to know about it now

• this would be a much better 3ds game
  • the movement sucks
  • i'd die for the sister and her pink fairy
  • have you seen her tits? not in the 'im gay' way, i mean in the 'WHAT is happening here' way, like they literally defy gravity, anime doesn't even have tits that look like that anymore, im losin it
  • the music is gr8

thank you this has been my full, complete, in depth review of dragalia lost

2 hours ago, wildflower said:

hello im here to give my thorough opinions bc i played this for a total of like 10 minutes and obviously know everything there is to know about it now

• this would be a much better 3ds game
  • the movement sucks
  • i'd die for the sister and her pink fairy
  • have you seen her tits? not in the 'im gay' way, i mean in the 'WHAT is happening here' way, like they literally defy gravity, anime doesn't even have tits that look like that anymore, im losin it
  • the music is gr8

thank you this has been my full, complete, in depth review of dragalia lost

-wrong, it should be a switch game.

- it gets a little better when you unlock auto-play. It lets you take over control at any time so I have been using it as an auto-walker and only control during combat. it makes it more tolerable.

-now you're just listing true facts.

9/10 review, would read again.

So far I'm liking it so far. The game looks good, the gatcha summoning looks really good and feels rewarding. The downside is that this would've benefited greatly from actual Diablo-style controls. There were so many instances where I would either tap the direction I want to go to, or tap and hold thinking they will run in that direction. This controls scheme works for single handed play, but yeah. Thankful for the autoplay in some regards, and I really like how it works as well, because there are some instances where I would gone out of the way for something instead of going straight to the boss.

I would've rerolled like did with other games (except for Azur Lane, since their drops for summoning mats are extremely generous. How generous? Enough for at least three summons A DAY if you do the dailies, and maybe more if you do the commissions). Wanted Jeanne d'Arc, but the first character I got was pirate girl Karina. And she's cool. And this is Fate/Grand Order all over again, I've been getting SSR/5-star  Wyrmprints more than Adventurers. (Like getting more SSR Craft Essenses than SSR Servants in FGO.) (1x Nightstalker, 2x Give Me Your Wounded, 1x Auspex's Prayer.)

Oh yeah, there is a pretty bad glitch in the game. There will  be a point where the game will introduce co-op and have to go into a co-op battle. In some case, when creating a room, you'll be stuck in an infinite loop. One of the causes is that it may have been due to your phone being in power saving mode. I got an S8+ with power saving on, but since I disabled it, I was able to get past the co-op tutorial.

Edited by avalonknight
On 9/30/2018 at 3:20 AM, Marxforever said:

For one thing, and I'm not sure if this is the Mobile RPG standard now, but in Dragalia Lost, your stamina does not deplete until you complete a mission. That means if you get in over your head and get your ass handed to you, don't lose stamina for the attempt. I love this! Like I said I like to challenge myself, so knowing if there's a super hard boss or level, I know I can beat, I can keep trying until I do it. In Terra Battle, just three failed attempts, and there went your play session. It really discouraged pushing yourself. I don't remember if Fire Emblem did this too, but I don't recall it doing so.

Compared to other games...

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper and Mobius Final Fantasy - The reason why I lumped these two together is that their stamina management operate quite similar to each other. Just pay the required stamina to start the mission. But then...

Dissida Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia - Okay, there is NO stamina meter in the main campaign and special character events. But there are limited attempts on resource missions. And the only time the typical stamina mechanic comes in is in the World of Illusions map, harder levels takes more stamina to start.

Danmemo: Memoria Freese - Typical stamina mechanic, spend stamina to start a mission. Why I mention this if it's so typical? The daily missions will net you a number of snacks, which can restore 50-100 stamina. And like in Fire Emblem Heroes, you will collect a lot of them.

Azur Lane: This is interesting. With their stamina mechanic, called oil, it's based on your unit's rarity and limit breaks. So that means, higher rarity units that has been limit broken more will cost more oil to send out to battle. Like right now, my best team consumes about 60 oil. My max limit is over 6000. I've upgraded the Canteen to produce 78 oil per hour. And I go above my current max limit by completing daily and weekly missions, so I'll very often be told that I cannot collect from the Canteen, because I've already max out on oil.

I guess from my observations, stamina is just a lingering mechanic that just couldn't die. Maybe it's just me, since I don't play too much any more, hence my over abundence of stamina restoring items. Or because I'm bouncing between Dragalia, Azur Lane, FGO, Danmemo, and FEH. Or just a way to make you play the game longer. But I got the feeling that even though most of the money they'll get is mainly in getting currency for rolling for those 5-star/SSR units (or your favorite waifu), stamina is more like an afterthought. Maybe I'm thinking a little differently than you, but...yeah.

Edited by avalonknight
On 9/30/2018 at 12:41 PM, wildflower said:

Romona certainly is giving her a run for her money:

oJYrQz6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Save for a few, all the girls are titty monsters

Stamina is merely a psychological thing now.

Just downloaded this thing and, man... the voices and visual effects are top-notch, but everything else feels like crap. The story opens with this mysterious woman warning Blonde Anime Protagonist not to make the pact, and how does she try to persuade him? By just telling him not to, and then summoning evil darkness blobs. The only appeal is some "turning into dragons" thing that might have been cool if it was the first time I'd ever heard of dragons. This story is so bad it's truly painful.

The rest of the game is a hot mess. I have no idea what's going on. Why are some of my summons pictures and scenery instead of characters? I got two 5* summons, "Worthy Rivals" and a busty bikini pyromancer. So is one a character, and the other is a skill to equip?

The home screen music is unbearable, and that animation of the prince walking along the path is absolutely one of the doofiest things I've ever seen in my life. It's nothing like Fire Emblem Heroes, which prides itself on a clean, responsive interface. It's more confusing than Yugioh Duel Links' cluttered and laggy menus.