Baten Kaitos III could have happened

Kezay

Baten Kaitos III was in development up to the pre-production phase, but never came to be

I'm actually pretty disappointed hearing the game never saw life beyond pre production since I am a fan of both games that released back on Gamecube.  Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean was incredibly pretty RPG with some really great use of fixed perspective and detailed background art that made the maps come alive and the music was something else.  No idea what happened with the voice work because that was atrocious, but the game itself pretty much excelled everywhere else.  Then they managed to even one up that with Baten Kaitos Origins, a prequel to the first game that nailed everything including the voice acting along with some other added features.

Had Baten Kaitos III happened it would have been really neat to explore the world following the events of Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean but this article suggests exploration underwater, on land and in the sky which would be pretty bonkers with how much they were able to cover in both games with just the sky and a portion of the land.  Though it makes me wonder if this information is in relation to the Baten Kaitos that once upon was slated for the Nintendo DS or a new project altogether.  Even so, it would be nice to revisit this series again one day or at least re-release the first two titles as remasters while re-recording the voice dialogue for Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

But the music man....

I was just reading about that earlier today, it really is a bummer that the franchise just kind of disappeared. I really loved the games' setting, though I feel like the card system always deterred people (even though it isn't really the same kind of deck building as other card-based video games). It'd be something else to see a new entry with HD graphics and maybe a page from the Xenoblade handbook with huge environments…now that I think about it the setting is kind of similar to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, isn't it? Instead of floating beasts in a cloud sea it's floating islands.

I never had the honor to play these series, I guess despite knowing about the series, it's not that I didn't have interest, I guess word never got around to me to play these games. Which is weird because no had to tell me about Golden Sun or Tales of Symphonia so what happen with game why I never played the series or hear how good these titles are.

Holy fuck this music, it sound like something straight out of Golden Sun and the Tales series. (more so tales with the sequel titles) Seriously why haven't I played this game to miss music such as these?!? I demand these music to be put Smash Ultimate on the fucking double, ASAP!!!

I wish I can say it is a shame there was Baiten Katios III but I have no connection to the series for me to say that. At least I can respect that music.

Also, this these games came out only on the GC and around the same time the first two Golden Sun came out, right?

10 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I never had the honor to play these series, I guess despite knowing about the series, it's not that I didn't have interest, I guess word never got around to me to play these games. Which is weird because no had to tell me about Golden Sun or Tales of Symphonia so what happen with game why I never played the series or hear how good these titles are.

Holy fuck this music, it sound like something straight out of Golden Sun and the Tales series. (more so tales with the sequel titles) Seriously why haven't I played this game to miss music such as these?!? I demand these music to be put Smash Ultimate on the fucking double, ASAP!!!

I wish I can say it is a shame there was Baiten Katios III but I have no connection to the series for me to say that. At least I can respect that music.

Also, this these games came out only on the GC and around the same time the first two Golden Sun came out, right?

They share the same music producer, Motoi Sakuraba. That's why the music sounds so similar. They're very talented.

In late 1989, Sakuraba began working as a composer for Wolf Team, joining Masaaki Uno and Yasunori Shiono. The professional friendships formed here in Sakuraba's early years have resulted in a great demand for his composing and arranging abilities. In 1994, former Wolf Team director and composer Masaaki Uno started working at Camelot Software Planning as a coordinator and sound director, developing games for Sony, Sega and Nintendo. Sakuraba has been called upon as a composer for many Camelot games, including all of the games in the Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Golden Sun series.

In 1995, Wolf Team developed the breakthrough game Tales of Phantasia for Namco. This and other early games in the Tales series primarily featured Sakuraba and fellow Wolf Team composer Shinji Tamura as composers. Also in 1995, former Wolf Team director and producer Jun Asanuma, as well as Tales of Phantasia writer and programmer Yoshiharu Gotanda, founded tri-Ace with financial backing from Enix. The Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile games have been their keystone productions. Sakuraba has been the composer for nearly all of their games, with only a few exceptions.

In 1999, long time Sakuraba sound designer and programmer Hiroya Hatsushiba, a former member of Wolf Team and tri-Ace, founded tri-Crescendo. While initially continuing to contribute sound work to tri-Ace games, tri-Crescendo began game development in 2001. Together with Monolith Soft, tri-Crescendo started working on Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean; Namco provided the financial backing. Hatsushiba, as director and main programmer of the project, again called upon Sakuraba's composing services. This has extended to the sequel, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Eternal Sonata. The remnants of Wolf Team later morphed into the Namco Telenet joint subsidiary Namco Tales Studioin 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba

http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba

Edited by Doc Brown
2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They share the same music producer, Motoi Sakuraba. That's why the music sounds so similar. They're very talented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba

http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba

Oh my gosh, what have I done?!? Golden Sun and Tales. Fuck me and my ears don't fail me. Goddammit all!!!

This is not happening?!? How did really miss playing Baten Kaitos series, how, how, fucking how?!? I have done a disservice to this composer and the series and this is a serious sin for me. I just can't believe I misses something like this is unfathomable.

Is there a way to play these without hunting on GC? If not and if possible let a miracle occur for a remake and hook it to my veins, already!!!

6 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Oh my gosh, what have I done?!? Golden Sun and Tales. Fuck me and my ears don't fail me. Goddammit all!!!

This is not happening?!? How did really miss playing Baten Kaitos series, how, how, fucking how?!? I have done a disservice to this composer and the series and this is a serious sin for me. I just can't believe I misses something like this is unfathomable.

Is there a way to play these without hunting on GC? If not and if possible let a miracle occur for a remake and hook it to my veins, already!!!

Looks like it's Cube only. Do you have a backwards compatible Wii?

6 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Oh yeah, I still have my Wii So cool I'm good in the department.

Plus, i have my GC but no cord to plug into my TV, lol.

Now the thing is, is this gonna be cheap to find?

Sweet. 

Ah.

Not so much. Checked on Amazon and for a used copy of the first game, it's running around $49 or so. So the  best bet is to see if the market fluctuates and to find a copy that's going for less.

On second thought, check via Gamestop. Their prices are far saner (for once!).

https://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-baiten+kaitos,28zu0

Edited by Doc Brown
3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Sweet. 

Ah.

Not so much. Checked on Amazon and for a used copy of the first game, it's running around $49 or so. So the  best bet is to see if the market fluctuates and to find a copy that's going for less.

$49 is not bad especially if I'm ringing it praise only based on the music.

I'll see what I can find and keep an eye the market.

EDIT: I see a used $36 dollar copy in a Canada for he first game the sequel is going for like $100, tho on Amazon.ca

Edited by DLurkster
4 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

$49 is not bad especially if I'm ringing it praise only based on the music.

I'll see what I can find and keep an eye the market.

EDIT: I see a used $36 dollar copy in a Canada for he first game the sequel is going for like $100, tho on Amazon.ca

Have you checked the edit? Gamestop has the first game going for far cheaper online, same with the sequel. Amazon is way overcharging on it.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Have you checked the edit? Gamestop has the first game going for far cheaper online, same with the sequel. Amazon is way overcharging on it.

Ah, too late but this works for the best because the first game only ships to the US and $36 is not so bad and bought the first game. As for why the sequel is so much on Amazon.ca is because they are not used copies but new ones.

Tho, it look like I can order the sequel thru GS, let me see if it will go thru.....

4 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Ah, too late but this works for the best because the first game only ships to the US and $36 is not so bad and bought the first game. As for why the sequel is so much on Amazon.ca is because they are not used copies but new ones.

Tho, it look like I can order the sequel thru GS, let me see if it will go thru.....

Ah that's not too bad.

I hope that works out!

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I was just reading about that earlier today, it really is a bummer that the franchise just kind of disappeared. I really loved the games' setting, though I feel like the card system always deterred people (even though it isn't really the same kind of deck building as other card-based video games). It'd be something else to see a new entry with HD graphics and maybe a page from the Xenoblade handbook with huge environments…now that I think about it the setting is kind of similar to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, isn't it? Instead of floating beasts in a cloud sea it's floating islands.

I never even thought of it that way with the similarity to XC2. But yeah, the card battle aspect I know turned off a ton of people on the game.  I remember making a thread back on Nsider about the original game and that was a big turnoff for some despite, as you said, the deck building not really being the same as most card based video games.  But if a third game were to made I think they should follow in the footsteps of Origins where one deck was shared between all characters but special/exclusive cards to certain characters were littered throughout. The original game was very time consuming with deck maintenance because each character had their own.

DLurksters if you manage to get a chance to play the games then good on you because they're pretty great.  As mentioned above though, Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean has some pretty bad VA work for most of the characters which is puzzling because the initial reveal trailer for the game had a pretty decent voice cast.  Somewhere along the way they completely botched the job.  But everything else is pretty ace.  Origins was fantastic all around though.

And by the by I managed to dig out my copies. ;) Nearly forgot they released at a time where colorful instruction manuals weren't a dying breed.

ou6w54.jpg2cmodxt.jpg

46 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I never even thought of it that way with the similarity to XC2. But yeah, the card battle aspect I know turned off a ton of people on the game.  I remember making a thread back on Nsider about the original game and that was a big turnoff for some despite, as you said, the deck building not really being the same as most card based video games.  But if a third game were to made I think they should follow in the footsteps of Origins where one deck was shared between all characters but special/exclusive cards to certain characters were littered throughout. The original game was very time consuming with deck maintenance because each character had their own.

DLurksters if you manage to get a chance to play the games then good on you because they're pretty great.  As mentioned above though, Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean has some pretty bad VA work for most of the characters which is puzzling because the initial reveal trailer for the game had a pretty decent voice cast.  Somewhere along the way they completely botched the job.  But everything else is pretty ace.  Origins was fantastic all around though.

And by the by I managed to dig out my copies. ;) Nearly forgot they released at a time where colorful instruction manuals weren't a dying breed.

ou6w54.jpg2cmodxt.jpg

Tho, I knew about the games never played. I recall hearing about the VA. Have not see any videos of it and don't wish to be spoiled when I do play them.

And oh wow, two disc, huh?

*Rolls up sleeves* This is gonna be a good time, my first two disc game on GC was Symphonia. I'm really looking forward to this now.

I had a bit of a nostalgia rush cracking them open and seeing the GCN mini discs.  I miss those little guys XD

But to be honest I actually forgot both games were dual discs until I opened them up.  I will say a fair bit of warning though.  In Origins, I won't spoil where but I'm just saying, early on in the game, don't be afraid to grind and level up a bit because there is a boss battle early on with a fairly annoying boss that saves at a point where you won't have the opportunity to grind so if you're underleveled you're going to have a bad time.  In fact, the only reason I beat that boss after multiple tries was because two of its heaviest attacks missed in succession during one of my retry attempts which gave me an opportunity to hit it with a combo attack twice which fortunately was enough to put it down.

So yeah, just a fair bit of warning.  The rest of the game is fine after that point and I'm surprised playtesting during development didn't catch that this particular area could be a problem.  I don't remember if the first game had any issues like that, at least I don't remember running into any.

I was pretty sure I had both games but I may be remembering wrong as I am only finding the first one, which I think I got during a TRU deal where I also got Symphonia and a Spyro game for the GCN. It also came w/ a CD of soundtrack selections. I wasn't too crazy about the battling w/ cards but I did try to like it. Symphonia I think took over cause I got real sucked into that until a certain boss battle that I couldn't pass.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:52 AM, Kezay said:

I had a bit of a nostalgia rush cracking them open and seeing the GCN mini discs.  I miss those little guys XD

But to be honest I actually forgot both games were dual discs until I opened them up.  I will say a fair bit of warning though.  In Origins, I won't spoil where but I'm just saying, early on in the game, don't be afraid to grind and level up a bit because there is a boss battle early on with a fairly annoying boss that saves at a point where you won't have the opportunity to grind so if you're underleveled you're going to have a bad time.  In fact, the only reason I beat that boss after multiple tries was because two of its heaviest attacks missed in succession during one of my retry attempts which gave me an opportunity to hit it with a combo attack twice which fortunately was enough to put it down.

So yeah, just a fair bit of warning.  The rest of the game is fine after that point and I'm surprised playtesting during development didn't catch that this particular area could be a problem.  I don't remember if the first game had any issues like that, at least I don't remember running into any.

There’s a mid-game boss in the original near the end of disc 1 that has the same problem. I lost interest in the game and series at that point, unfortunately. :(

But yeah, the graphics were stunning, the story was fairly compelling to me, and as you pointed out of course the music was beautiful. So no hard feelings from me for this franchise, I wish it got its 3rd instalment, too.