PlayStation Classic announced! Out 12/3/18, $99

Juanblue85

What’s confusing to me is that Sony of all companies has the least need to do something like this.

Nintendo forces you to re-buy all of your Virtual Console games for the Wii/U and 3DS, but PSN games are linked to your account. If you buy Final Fantasy VII on your PSP, you can download it to your Vita free of charge.

17 hours ago, ace said:

I have a lot of love for the PlayStation brand and this looks like a cool little package, but not shipping it with DualShock controllers seems like a mistake. 

yeah unless it's all super early PS1 games no sticks is gonna blow ass

I'm not sure where all this negativity is coming from. The PS1 was a fine machine, home to some truly classic games. MegaMan Legends, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy IX, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Crash and Spyro, Symphony of the Night, Oddworld, Ape Escape... Yeah, the 3D was rough around the edges in some cases. Let's not forget that the same console that brought us Final Fantasy VII also brought us Chrono Cross

I also would like a full list before I become interested. One game in particular that would make me inclined toward it is Lunar Silver Star Story, one of my favorites for the PSone and even if it doesn't have that game and is as hackable as the NES and SNES Classic I could still get what I want. Agreed w/ everyone who has said it that lack of dualshock hurts it.

7 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I'm not sure where all this negativity is coming from. The PS1 was a fine machine, home to some truly classic games. MegaMan Legends, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy IX, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Crash and Spyro, Symphony of the Night, Oddworld, Ape Escape... Yeah, the 3D was rough around the edges in some cases. Let's not forget that the same console that brought us Final Fantasy VII also brought us Chrono Cross

It’s a lot of fanboying. The price is steep and the lack of DualShock is lame, but this still looks like a neat thing. 

They’re copying nintendo even though they were far from the first company to make a product like this. 

Though at at the end of the day I would rather just have backwards compatibility on my PS4

I still have my original PSX and psone, and my entire PlayStation library. So I don't really need this per se.

However, if this is a chance to finally play some amazing looking fan Mods of beloved games, like Final Fantasy VII: New Threat and Final Fantasy IX: Alternate Fantasy, on  something resembling original hardware. I'll pick this up day one.

Edited by Marxforever
8 hours ago, ace said:

It’s a lot of fanboying. The price is steep and the lack of DualShock is lame, but this still looks like a neat thing. 

They’re copying nintendo even though they were far from the first company to make a product like this. 

Though at at the end of the day I would rather just have backwards compatibility on my PS4

Hm. Stray thought here: I can't help but wonder what this means for legacy games on modern consoles as a whole. Nintendo, for their part, has shown no interest in revitalizing the Virtual Console as a brand, content to relegate NES games people already own two and three times over to a rental service of sorts and calling it good. Meanwhile they distill entire console libraries to a sampling of some two dozen games for the odd classic mini console release. Now that Sony is mimicking Nintendo's approach, I can't imagine PS1 Classics will make the jump to PS4 anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of the NES, SNES, and PS1 Classic. I think they're great little instant collections for folks who don't feel like sinking a lot of time and money into collecting all of the games they want for a given system. But on the flip side it further diminishes the perceived need for a proper digital distribution service for legacy games. The high profile games will always be there simply because they're high profile. People know about them and want to play them still. But it's the cult classics I worry about. Games like Journey to Silius, Metal Storm, The Guardian Legend, and Sunsoft Batman can't be bought as a digital download. You have to track down an expensive original cartridge and hook up the original hardware, which is something of a chore now that CRT televisions have been outmoded.

It's just really easy to see the library of legacy games available to non-collectors shrinking to the two dozen games that find their way onto these miniature time capsules. The longer Nintendo (and Sony, to a degree) is silent about it, the further cemented the mini consoles and Nintendo Online service will become as the only convenient way to play retro games. Which means almost the entirety of a console's library is lost, or at least available only to those who actually collect for the original system. In the case of the PS1, I can't see them putting even half of all of the RPGs I want to play on that system. Xenogears, Grandia, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Wild Arms, Breath of Fire... To be honest, I'd be surprised if we get anything else beyond FFIX and Tictacs.  

Well, that went on longer than I'd meant it to. Like I said, just a stray thought. I'm probably overthinking it. 

Edited by Laclipsey
33 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

I agree. it just sucks that Sony had already abandoned it and the damn memory cards too which were and still are expensive. I actually still have my OLED Vita though I can't for the life of me find the dang charger.

Word. Mainly got mine when they were on clearance. Hope you're able to find the charger for yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably going to get one later down the line.  I would have pre-ordered but I don't feel like paying the money for something that only has 5 games announced with "more coming" on it.  Plus, out of the 5 games, only one interests me which is FFVII, and the fact is I have the superior (and moddable) PC Steam release.  So unless they start putting out some of the all time must buys on this, I am not totally sold on it as of right now.  So maybe if the next 15 games are things like Twisted Metal 2, Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear, and some of the other big time RPGs that were released (Legends of Dragoon, Lunar, etc) I would be more sold on it.  I do like to collect stuff (or hoard stuff as some friends say lol) and I would love to get one just for the fuck of it.  However, there are a lot of other things I would rather have, like Smash, Pokemon Lets Go Eevee, and Luigi's Mansion just to name a few.  Plus, I kind of feel like Sony is just being ass lazy.  For example, why the fuck are we getting the original standard controller and not the Dual Shock Analog Controllers?  I mean do they think were fucking stupid?  Why, so you can sell us the fucking shit for $30 a pop later down the road?  Yeah fuck that shit.

• 3 weeks later...

Sony has announced the full lineup for the PlayStation Classic:

Full list here from PlayStation Blog:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

I don't know much about the original PlayStation's library but it seems like this is missing some big franchises: Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot—though to be fair those last two have recent/soon to be released remasters.

• 4 weeks later...

So reviews are starting to roll on for the PlayStation Classic and its not looking too good for it. It seems some titles perform fine but others do not which I found out some of those other titles are based on the European version which is 50Hrz. Also, not a lot of people are fond of the original PlayStation controller and wished it was the analog one. You would think that $100 it would be a better product. 

11 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

So reviews are starting to roll on for the PlayStation Classic and its not looking too good for it. It seems some titles perform fine but others do not which I found out some of those other titles are based on the European version which is 50Hrz. Also, not a lot of people are fond of the original PlayStation controller and wished it was the analog one. You would think that $100 it would be a better product. 

Yep. But I'm thinking that they'd figure they'd jump onto this train with something slapped together. And now it's biting them in the collective ass. You don't do that and expect it to be a big hit. I'll give Nintendo that much. They seemed to have put together a quality product.