PlayStation Classic announced! Out 12/3/18, $99

Juanblue85

Not surprising that they're jumping on this train, but it is kind of surprising how they're not trying even a little bit to not look like they're ripping off Nintendo. It looks like they did everything Nintendo did to a tee. Is this bold, or just lazy?

I still have a PS1, so I'm not interested. Also, the included controllers being the original model sans joysticks is a little disappointing. I'm sure there will be a DualShock on the market before long.

7 hours ago, Young P said:

Not surprising that they're jumping on this train, but it is kind of surprising how they're not trying even a little bit to not look like they're ripping off Nintendo. It looks like they did everything Nintendo did to a tee. Is this bold, or just lazy?

I still have a PS1, so I'm not interested. Also, the included controllers being the original model sans joysticks is a little disappointing. I'm sure there will be a DualShock on the market before long.

I'd say the latter. (Meaning being lazy.)

And it's way overpriced. Gotta give Nintendo this one. Charging $60 for theirs and it comes with more games.

Edited by Doc Brown

Not surprised that they'd get in on this trend. I never owned a PS1 though so this doesn't have any nostalgic appeal for me, and I've mostly played the games I would be interested in through the "virtual console" releases on PS3 anyway. And what's up with it not coming with a USB AC adapter? Granted I'm sure I have a spare one somewhere but it just seems silly when these things are released without everything you need in one box, like the 3DS systems that don't include a charger.

13 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Not surprised that they'd get in on this trend. I never owned a PS1 though so this doesn't have any nostalgic appeal for me, and I've mostly played the games I would be interested in through the "virtual console" releases on PS3 anyway. And what's up with it not coming with a USB AC adapter? Granted I'm sure I have a spare one somewhere but it just seems silly when these things are released without everything you need in one box, like the 3DS systems that don't include a charger.

The SNES Mini was the same way and IMO it makes sense. They both use a micro USB cable which most people have mountains of so it’s one less thing to add to the pile. 

I would rather they just add BC to the PS4 though. This is a bad look for them in that regard. 

36 minutes ago, ace said:

The SNES Mini was the same way and IMO it makes sense. They both use a micro USB cable which most people have mountains of so it’s one less thing to add to the pile. 

I would rather they just add BC to the PS4 though. This is a bad look for them in that regard. 

Really? My SNES Classic came with an adapter. Unless it was a region-specific thing—I think they did the same thing with some 3DS models, in some regions it came with a charger, some it didn't.

Ehhhh... 

I guess it's hard to be excited since very few games from that era aged well. It was our first foray into 3d. And while I don't care much for the NES classic, I can at least appreciate that Nintendo has an alternative via online pass. The fact this exists but the PSX classics aren't on PS4 just... Idk, feels wrong?

I guess I'm just more content breaking out the ps3 and spending $10 for each game I'd want. 

16 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I don't know if I'd get it but I thought it sounded cool.  IMO, the that era of gaming was in that weird space where the 3D graphics just weren't up to par --too ugly compared to newer stuff, more advanced than the 2D based retro systems.

So far for me I wouldn't mind getting it but I'm waiting to see what the rest of the games are to warrant the price. Lack of analog hurts the chances of other games like Ape Escape.

Surprising to see it announced but I guess it was just a matter of time.  Barring some weird licensing issues I'm betting on a certain handful of games being confirmed for it later:

Metal Gear Solid - Because, of course

Tomb Raider - Was flipping between this and TR2, but I think the original will be picked

Twisted Metal

Ace Combat 2 - Seems to be one of the more fondly remembered entries in the entire franchise

Resident Evil 2 - Easy tie in for the upcoming remake, plus aged a heck of a lot better than the original