Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - Hunter's Hub

Eliwood8

503028787_MHGUbanner.jpg.62fca9a2711fd389e5eb5b86e679184f.jpg

I've really been slacking off on making this thread, GU has been out for almost three weeks now. I've only been playing in earnest for the past week or so though, and just got to G1 rank over the weekend (I transferred my data—so nice to be able to just jump right into the game without tediously building up resources!).

So consider this a general discussion thread for GU. Who else is playing? Did you start from scratch or transfer your data? Any interest in forming a regular hunting party here on Ninfora?

What's New in Ultimate?

Generations was already meant to be a collection that draws upon aspects of the entire Monster Hunter series, and Ultimate manages to expand on that even further—there are 93 large monsters in this game! Here's quick highlight of the new content:

First and foremost, G-rank! The highest level of difficulty in a Monster Hunter game returns in GU, perfect for players that already mastered Generations and want to jump right into the more challenging content.

20 Additional Monsters (including old, new, and new variants):

Spoiler
  • Ahtal-Ka
  • Boltreaver Astalos
  • Barioth
  • Barroth
  • Basarios
  • Congalala
  • Diablos
  • Bloodbath Diablos
  • Elderfrost Gammoth
  • Giadrome
  • Gravios
  • Nightcloak Malfestio
  • Soulseer Mizutsune
  • Nerscylla
  • Rustrazor Ceanataur
  • Fatalis
  • Crimson Fatalis
  • White Fatalis
  • Lao-Shan Lung
  • Valstrax

2 New Hunting Styles (plus one new Art for each weapon):

Spoiler

Valor Style

Charge up your valor meter by attacking monsters to enter the Valor State, opening up new attack combos. Sheathing your weapon also allows you to quickly dodge enemy attacks then counterattack. Uses one Hunter Art.

Alchemy Style

Use the Alchemy Barrel to produce special items that can heal or buff your entire team. Uses three Hunter Arts.

7 Additional Maps (1 brand new, 2 returning, 1 arena, 3 monster-specific maps):

Spoiler
  • Jungle
  • Desert
  • Ruined Pinnacle
  • Moat Arena
  • Castle Schrade
  • Fortress
  • Forlorn Citadel

Last but certainly not least, players are able to transfer their save data from Generations on the 3DS to GU by downloading a free app to the 3DS. More details here: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/monster-hunter-generations-ultimate-save-data-transfer-app-3ds

I've been considering picking this up, but between time constraints and the grind that is 100%ing Monster Hunter World, I'm not sure I will. Especially with the paid service kicking in, as I only would want to play with friends.

Got the game the other week, transferred my file over and playing on and off. Mostly by myself during the day and sometimes with a friend online at night.

I didn't notice how many Long Swords and Dual Blades I had before I stopped playing Generations. I'm HR 4 currently having done the Urgent quest to get there by myself somehow. In my recent sessions I've been fighting certain large monsters to get either armor sets or weapons/upgrades.

I had quite a few Bows and Bowguns in Generations but so far I'm just sticking to the Zelda bow in GU while I get back into the swing of things. It's a nice all around Bow for status effects.

10 hours ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Ive been wanting to try the series, but havent yet.

I haven't played World but I always hear it's an easier starting point than any other Monster Hunter game. I think Generations/GU is a lot easier to get into than previous MH games though, even though there's a lot to keep track of.

Thanks for making this thread. I actually did recently pick this up and appreciate the outlet to talk about it.

I've already played through the main story of MHG on 3DS so I transferred my data to MHGU and it's great to continue playing it on Switch. I thought I would miss the dual screens of the 3DS but I'm pleasantly surprised at just how good it feels to play it with the Switch's controllers and screen, especially with the HUD off.

I'm using my time to get better at playing sword & shield so I can actually play well in the Lodestar set when I eventually get enough mats to complete it. I tried the Diablos hunting urgent quest needed to get into G-rank but I just need to get a little more better to take it on.

It kind of blows how the online just now got put behind the Nintendo Switch Online subscription, but it's a non-issue to me personally since I did get on it anyway.

• Chrom featured this topic

Got up to G2 with a decent group yesterday. Seems like, as usual, most people just want to do key quests and not clean up all of the quests in each rank. I understand the impulse but I'd rather do these quests when I'm "level" appropriate rather than just come back later and demolish them with end-game gear. Speaking of which I still haven't bothered to craft new weapons/armor but I feel like I ought to soon if only for the variety instead of just using my Link set all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to G1 and... I fought with three companions:

Big evil dragon that you have to repel against. ... This is supposed to be an endgame demon of a fight, and my first try I beat it... with companions. Words cannot describe how lucky that felt.

Like usually, I might not get into the single player because it's ALWAYS been about the multiplayer experience.  

What was the worst MH? Tri. Never going back to swimming physics again. And THANK GOSH they haven't brought that back.

Edited by XLW
  • 3 weeks later...

Bumping this a bit because I finally got around to finishing the key quests for G-rank and jumped up to HR70 this weekend. The "final boss" was an interesting fight—not particularly difficult but definitely unique.

Also I thought it might be fun to share my Neset armor build. For those that don't know, the armor you can craft from the final boss only gives two skills: Skill +2 and Double Talisman. But, the armor has a ton of decoration slots so you can easily gem in a wide variety of skills. Here's what I put together last night—nothing too fancy, just a lot of damage boosting skills for my bow. I'm also considering building something with more of a Constitution or Stamina Recovery focus but then again Mega Dash Juices are so easy to make in this game, I can totally be lazy and just use one on every hunt.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has a Neset build, see what kind of skills you're prioritizing.

225448545_MHGUNesetArmor.thumb.jpg.25202bf1d3fea7509c5404ab7696dbde.jpg