Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

Started seeing the NSO expansion controversy talked about more elsewhere, and some things said made me realize that we might actually be underestimating the number of people besides those like us that will mostly refuse to go with the new subscription plan.

For one, there's already a Sega Genesis Classics game collection on the Switch that's pretty cheap, which makes the inclusion of Genesis on NSO redundant. I forgot if that was already mentioned here earlier; maybe it was, but regardless, should've been Sega Saturn NSO if anything. That along with some Game Boy and Gamecube stuff added would've made it well worth the $50, but as it is, the current plan lacks enough value. Funny enough, even the Switch NES and SNES apps avoided games already featured on collections, which makes Genesis NSO existing even though there's already a Genesis collection on the Switch even more strange. With all that in perspective, I doubt even more that Sega's the reason for the $30 price hike. (Then of course there’s the N64 games that had been repeatedly available on previous system’s Virtual Consoles, and some 64 games that had ports made for the DS/3DS)

Secondly, fans in general who see the other options available aren't just gonna eat up the $50 plan without a 2nd thought. I like to think even as bad as the most diehard loyalists might be, who may pretend that Nintendo's their family rather than a company who sees them as a number or statistic, has to draw the line somewhere. More casual families and consumers are also willing to draw the line somewhere. I feel like only the most extreme loyalists or some truly ignorant people that don't know better would get the $50 plan as is; Nintendo's counting on them at least, which may be enough for them to not change the price or current lack of options, but we'll see.

And this is all besides the point that our subscription money shouldn't be going to simply being drip fed old games (ones that we'll never truly own on the system no less), but to a good online service, or a better one than what we used to get from Nintendo when it was free at least. Their online priorities are completely backwards.

Edited by Ridley Prime

@Ridley Prime: No, I don't believe anyone here mentioned the Genesis collection on Switch but you are and no one is wrong pointing that out. (I was aware a few hours after announcement but forgot to mention it here)

Here:

15 hours ago, purple_beard said:

An interesting video about the expansion of the expansion pack.

PB posted this in the Switch PRO thread. I would post this on these boards but it's a long watch and didn't want to post something that one can dissect the vid but there's a lo of great parts as usual from Nate the Hate. Pretty the consensus you came up with adding or replacing systems of the Genesis or adding Dreamcast and Gamecube would make the the price of $50 worth while to most. I almost feel there's no doubt that hardly anyone would hesitate to get that expansion pack. Also it was mentioned in this video that as of last year September Nintendo says that up to 26 million ppl are subscribed NSO. We are probably at 30 or so million with a overall install base of over 90 million Switch units sold. 

So going on your ignorant play of ppl who will get this expansion pack because reasons Nintendo would have get 10-13 million ppl subscribed to the expansion pack to get any additional income. So you think there's over 10 million folks (AC fans or not) that will get the expansion pack out of pure ignorance? Maybe but I feel if most ppl are like me and not the majority of the install base own AC: NH where's the value of adding DLC just because this game sold a lot in short amount of time?

Also brought up in the vid above and I must say and they knew it isn't fair comparison but it was brought up nonetheless. With XBOX Gama Pass being as cheap as it is pure month, in the beginning they had to eat the cost of publishers games to the service and over time the profits were worth the wait. Why could Nintendo do the same? Well Nintendo in their year of selling consoles never sold at lost and they don't have Microsoft money to spend or undercut for a while before making profit. I guess it is that simple but that is an option Nintendo could done to make sure they got more subscribers with $30 a year for the subscription instead of $50 a year.

Well I guess we will see in Nintendo next financial quarter how many subscribed to the expansion pass, if hear it close to or over 10 million they got all the proof they need that $50 was justified.

I'm still against this price because of the DLC more than any cost than the N64 and Genesis, again nothing against AC but most ppl despite massive have AC: NH. So either have option to take that out, improve online with messaging and proper VC, or add other systems to bring more value to $50. I have said this before but I might sound like a hypocrite but when this service is available Monday, if the prorated discount takes good chunk for those who recently renew, I will get this but if it isn't I still won't get this no matter how many good games down the road and what we already know is coming. It still isn't worth when so much more can be done to improve the simplest of online features. At the end of the day most were fine with the price of $20 year with what Nintendo calls online features paying $30 more with no improvements is a rip-off imo. So I think I am fair tho an hypocrite to get the expansion pack at prorated discount if it is $30 a year.

I feel the big wild card is how folks who only have a Switch, or at least NSO, because of ACNH react. That's probably somewhere between half and a third of NSO subcriptoins (sauce, but this graph in particular); there's a reason Animal Crossing DLC in particular was chosen to hard carry this pass.

(And, for what it's worth, I will fully agree if Emily Rogers' claim that Sega inflated the price is true, it just seems incredibly bonehead given Sega actually ports their old games).

as for whether NSO expansion pass flops or not? I honestly just don't know. Like, if I had to hedge my bets I'd sooner expect it'll fail to meet whatever expectations Nintendo has because I don't know a single person who's paying a full $50 for this, but we'll see.

Edited by Stephen 776

Yes, that is the only reason I think most feel why AC: HHP is part of the expansion pack. I get it sales wise but to hedge the bet of those who don't own AC: NH (which is more than half the Switch install base) will be on board to pay $50 for just N64 and Genesis is ludacris to me.

I keep seeing this brought up so it's making me ask a stupid question.

"Fix the online," as in the connection, is something people are asking for in the Expansion. Wouldn't that be an overall situation other than just putting the "Fixed Online" in the Expansion?

It's just that every time I see someone mention better online as in the connection, I'm thinking in order to get a better connection you need the Expansion pass with the base subscription having a worse off online connection. This isn't confusing me, it just sounds dumb whenever someone brings it up.

Either way I'm upgrading my family plan when it launches.

Also had a not stupid question. Can someone in Canada, Mexico or South America be connected to a North American Family plan?

@TKrazyO: Not a stupid question for your first one but at least how I would phrase that question is if there are those who issue with $50 for the expansion pack means there's interest in it but is not equal and not what they evaluate the price. So breaking it down like that, most ppl (I could be wrong) tolerated to extent that internet could be better connection wise and features at $20 a year. For those who even have passing interest in the expansion pack, one will pay $30 more for same kind of service at $20 with crappy connections and no features. You are paying just for the new catalogue of retro games and DLC. That's at least how I look at that is $30 hike is not justifiable for the expansion pack.

As for your 2nd question, I don't know. I asked the week before last week in MK8 night, I believe your brother said it shouldn't be any different or difficult to between different countries on the same continent but different currency rate. It is the currency rate I worry up here in Canada compared to the US is why I haven't even asked if anyone wants to do a family plan. I'm not about just shelling without detail being checked out first, just cautious incase things don't work out or whatever, you never and I am not taking chances of not knowing the finer detail between different countries share payment.

-----

Also, the expansion pack should be up between 7pm eastern and 10pm eastern.

From what I’m seeing more now, most of the people saying they’re buying the yearly expansion are younger fans who haven’t played the 64/Genesis games to begin with and don’t know the proper value of money yet.

Easy thing for Nintendo to rely on no matter what others that have already experienced most of those games in some form will say on the matter. What they have to offer in the expansion is of too little value for me to justify $30 more a year as is, so will just leave it at that.

I’ve considered a family plan with some people I know somewhere down the road, but we’re in no hurry to do it. Not with the current library of the NSO expansion anyway.

@Ridley Prime

Going to disagree about value of money here....

N64 games retailed at $60 when current

N64 titles ran $10 in VC (I think only that Sin and Punishment was $12)

Genesis games were $8 on WiiVC and from what I recall, were $50-60 when the Genesis was current

On that alone, $30/yr isn't a bad deal granted one could argue owning versus renting, but it appears Nintendo is not going back to a buying individual system like there was on the Wii and WiiU.

Now don't get it twisted, at $50/y / $30 upgrade to base in comparison to other platforms pricing, offerings, and online infrastructure is something anyone buying the stuff would be evaluating how worth it is it to them.

I'm still kind of iffy myself still for games shown off both systems...

I have the Genesis collection on Switch so...

I have my OG N64 and MK64, FZX, and Dr Mario 64....   I also have the GC Zelda Collectors Disc with MM and OoT and with my Wii operational and running 480p I also have those games covered to play.

I think I will see how reviewers compare the experience (read resolution, FPS, and general online play) to going about play otherwise.

Also, I don't like eating money for AC DLC when its a game I don't own and don't plan to own.  I also have an issue with the pricing unless some infrastructure gets upgraded to run current Switch games, as well as these better and smoother online.

I'm aware of what those games cost back then, but the idea of them being that much on a service now is a joke, yearly or otherwise. Online play for some of them seems to mainly be the only reason one such as you or I would consider the deal.

Analytically, if people find the NSO expansion worth getting for themselves, I respect that, but there's also a lot of people just mindlessly consumption driven that'll buy it on a whim, and I roll my eyes at those people, but that's just how it is with anything to a certain degree.

Yes, this is just a different strokes, for different folks. Key phrase different, there's all walks of life out there. I've seen ppl say get a job, the price seems fair, this is a rip-off, same service and an optional price increase for those who might be slightly interested. The list goes on and on.

So I respect anyone opinion if they feel otherwise than me. I just like to point out what seems to be not as value, whether the price is justified, how one justify purchase of anything and importantly values it. That's just how I am viewing all of this with the expansion pack.

And those who mindlessly getting it they have their reasons as they said and being younger and not knowing you can play these games by illegal means of other means as ports for some of these game or cheaper on current platform is to their ignorance. That's all anyone can when on the other side we can so many options but they do not.

I don't know, so far this is looking to be something of an unmitigated disaster. Nintendo should hire the emulator devs present in the homebrew community or something to do their ports, since it seems they can't do as good a job with their own products on their own hardware.

"But it's day 1, give them some slack!"

No. If they can't give an on par online service, they shouldn't be selling something on it for as much as $50 or $80 depending on the option plan.

Maybe by the time more games get added that I'd be interested in playing online, there might be more stability then, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Not going to defend the glitches but it could have been the servers being under duress during the launch window last night.

Gx has aot of videos up this morning on the various issues and comparisons...  not going to post them all but worth watching. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/10/nintendo-switch-onlines-n64-games-need-some-work

Edited by purple_beard