Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Doesn't mean that I agree with said pricing. 

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

It occurred to me if the DS line was ever on the table for NSO, that they'd have to bring back the online play of said DS games for people to give a damn, which I think they'd do given the online play that the other multiplayer games of SNES/SNES, etc have had on NSO. Metroid Prime Hunters online being back would be much rejoiced.

As far as GBA NSO is concerned, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission (particularly Fusion) would get me to sign up day 1, depending on the price of the new service tier. Beyond my usual Metroid favoritism though, how the GB/GBA library overall looks from the start would determine how soon I'd invest in it if it was a reasonable price. The N64 library was pathetically small with the games it started out with, especially for the price it demanded. The emulation/online issues brought up didn't help either, but Game Boy games would be easier to emulate by nature.

And yeah, potential pricing aside, my biggest concern is whether Nintendo ever ups the features or quality of their online. With Sony and Xbox you get what you pay for in terms of value, but Nintendo's still in the stone age in comparison when it comes to good & stable online, which is another reason I find the $50 for N64 online outrageous aside from the 64 and Genesis alone not matching the value of $50 for many people. If they become even bolder with the pricing while still giving very little in return, I'll continue giving them the middle finger.

First, I don't own a PS or a XBX so I am not very knowledgeable about the tiers and pricing of XBX and PS for Live, +, GamePass, and whatever else they offer for online play, game access, and other content as part of their services.  I do know they are considerably higher than Nintendo's alternative.

Strictly speaking on Nintendo offerings of the past and current I have thoughts:

1) I think I still prefer the WiiVC model over the NSO model in terms of games to play and how to get them, obviously the NSO online multiplayer upgrade and save state upgrades make the gameplay itself better.  I prefer buying games I want versus a flat rate for streaming and they can come and go at will.

2) The NSO model is only as good as the game releases and release frequency.

3) How could I get the gifting game ability on the Wii but not since?

4) How could I get Miiverse on the WiiU but not since?

5) Why is it so hard for Nintendo to get voice chat going in a "good way" versus their competitors?  That said, I don't see how parental tools, and basic blocking users tools can't be implemented to keep the "predators" away.

6) If you dig deep into what is being offered by Nintendo, it seems like you are merely paying for a game streaming service ONLY not an online infrastructure upgrade.  There have not been any online service quality enhancements.

7) Nintendo's pricing structure comes off as a "we need a service too" model...  And as of right now, the price for what you get matches up so far...  but again, as the price goes up more has to be offered... and if its content options only and not online infrastructure upgrades (connections, communication, and other things) they can't price themselves up to the others even if they want the money.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 3:17 PM, DLurkster said:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-64-controller/

It's flashing on and off but it is in stock. So if find trying to cop difficult, it's not only the ppl there trying to get the controller but the site is going under maintenance too. A insult to injury there.

GL. I got mine on the Canada website after some trial and error. 

It's baaaaack!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 3:17 PM, DLurkster said:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-64-controller/

It's flashing on and off but it is in stock. So if find trying to cop difficult, it's not only the ppl there trying to get the controller but the site is going under maintenance too. A insult to injury there.

GL. I got mine on the Canada website after some trial and error. 

It's back again?

• 3 weeks later...

Stardew Valley is the current free game trial!

I was really excited to play it, but after an hour I've just got a headache. Not the game for me. Though the zoom options were very helpful, the tiny pixel art was too painful for my eyes to focus on for long. Same reason why I can't play stuff like Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy (plus their overblown lighting effects).

7 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

New Pokemon Snap is better anyway, and I still have my N64 cartridge of the original. I’m good.

That's good for you. Not sure I've said this before as much as I like New Pokemon Snap graphic and structure of environments, I do not like the repetition missions till you get to the next area. Pokemon Snap had to but within reason. I am bias for sure what prefer nostalgia wise but I just can't play New Pokemon Snap for long till I sort of bore it. I don't with Pokemon Snap no matter how many times I play.

Unfortunately for me, I rented the game and beat the game the week I had up to Mew and everything it was a great time what seem short back in my young life. Also, glad I got photos from my rental store as well. That was sweet.

I admit the grind for New Pokemon Snap got a bit tiresome occasionally, but the excitement for seeing the next areas as well as the night and day versions of each area and taking different routes still offered plenty variety.

It's mainly nostalgia that makes some prefer the N64 original over the new one, yeah, even though New Snap had much more content, better graphics, was more robust, etc. That said, the rainbow course of the original with Mew is still one of my favorite levels, but Mew and plenty other legendary Pokemon appear in certain stages of New Snap once you finish your initial playthrough.

Quite happy to see Pokémon Snap 64 coming myself - probably one of my favorite N64 games, honestly…

a bit on the shorter side, but it’s fun and has it’s charm

I don’t have it with me, but i did buy it on the Wii Shop channel years ago so have that at least - not sure if i ever beat it though

Also there’s a chance i could have, but I honestly don’t remember playing it on the N64 at all - I don’t own a copy, either and I’m not sure if i rented it at some point when i was extremely young.. i don’t remember that far back

Comes out the day before my Birthday too so that’s quite a nice surprise 

Will hold me over for a bit until i buy the new Pokémon Snap game

But will be nice to play it again and have access to it on the Switch

______

Wonder when we’ll see a new trailer for future releases? Maybe we’ll see one whenever we get a new Nintendo Direct?

I’m pretty sure we have all the titles that were announced in the first N64 Online trailer

A few ones that I wouldn’t mind  being brought to NSO myself: 

-Smash 64 - one of my other personal favorites  - that would be fun classic to revisit
-Pokémon Puzzle League would be nice

- Pokémon Stadium games, though I don’t know how the games would handle some content  without the expansion pack content and GBC connection or games

With Banjo-Kazooie, I’m going to assume Banjo-Tooie is plausible at some point in the future?

-N64 Mario Party games

DK64 could most likely be on the table, I’d assume 

Might be unlikely and a less known and obscure pick, but LEGO Racers could be nice to have… at least i think it was on N64? I swore I’ve played it before but that was when i was younger

Didn’t play too many N64 games outside some that are already on NSO, so dunno what else beyond those games honestly 

• 2 weeks later...

I never knew what game that meme was from. Didn't know it was from a Sega Genesis game of all things. Cool that Comix Zone is there and did not expect Wily Wars on there considering all the Mega Man collections. Although they are different versions of the first 3 games. Good amount of games considering the one N64 game at a time.

Played some Sonic Spinball....

Graphics and music are pretty solid, but game speed feels way slower than the comparable titles off the TG16 WiiVC offerings of Alien and Devil Crush games.  Not a bad game...but the speed of Sonic's movement feels very un-Sonic...and the fact its slower than those above-mentioned titles kind of throws me off.

Played some Comix Zone as well...

From its debut to me when it came out on the WiiVC I had actually wanted to play it but I never bought it there so the ability to check it out on NSO was tood good to pass up.  I am digging the graphics and the music.  However, playing in portable play versus Pro Controller on a tv might be a thing for me....    I really do like its style with the transitions between comic panels as you advance through the stages/sections.