Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

5 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Not taking it at face value, but if it’s real and becomes part of like the NSO expansion, it may make it worth getting for me, unlike the N64 and Genesis alone. Depends on certain factors though.

Same here. Tho, the screenshots of the emulator test running, I don't know how or why someone would fake so hard for this to be real but those who wishfully think for this happen and it doesn't will be disappointed. Not that I want to do that to myself or feel sorry for those who do, it's a choice I choose not put a lot a faith in happening till it releases with how Nintendo chooses to reveal or release anything nowadays. Nintendo will Nintendo.

Outside of the value this rumored new platforms of games, this is a boon for those who still not having the current NSO EP at its proposed value and that's understandable. Again, if this happens I would agree this is a better value but will the current price for NSO EP go up is the thing tho?

Curious what other factors outside the price will sweeten the post of this games, will there be rewind and online multiplayer for select titles. Very few portable games back then was not advertised for multiplayer for obvious reasons. So what other factors will sway those to get on board if these platforms do become a reality?

Saw the tweet/pics on Twitter- would be interesting if true

But I’m going to take it with a grain of salt and wait until something is officially said 

Though i saw this just now last night:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/04/rumour-nintendo-has-apparently-tested-n64-and-game-boy-connectivity-for-switch-online?fbclid=IwAR0FCUGEG0-CCJAA1JVx1cxVsG3gq4Q1fYi5xjfTS3wo7LsIJICOXxjvTx4

Could be extremely interesting if true - wonder if that might mean games like Pokémon Stadium and Stadium 2 has a chance at being brought over at some point in the future?

If they add GB, GBC and GBA to the NSO Expansion without raising the price, I'm very likely going to upgrade even knowing that the support for those systems may be trickled out. If they raise the price to $60 a year, I think I'll wait but it'll still be an inevitable upgrade (unless the launch is really good, then I'll be there on update). All it would take is Superstar Saga and Super Mario Land 2 honestly. Beyond that, $70 or even $80, I would be on the fence swaying towards the not upgrading side. $70 would need plenty of releases to tempt me...and even then I don't think I'll make the move off of the base plan. I don't think any new systems should be added to the base plan either. It doesn't make sense to me that Nintendo would want to have new support for anything other than the more expensive plan. 

1 hour ago, Shadow118 said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/04/splatoon-2-dlc-is-now-part-of-the-nintendo-switch-online-expansion-pack?fbclid=IwAR1kYUU7twKmHOINqhMRo1xvnj2EJy04ObFzX4I6zoTnH8UDqP05qKLUd04

Looks like the Splatoon 2 DLC  is free with NSO starting today

Especially useful for me since I still haven’t bought it yet 

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

"with Expansion Pack"

Boooooooooooooo

How did anyone not see that coming to NSO EP?

Well, I was more expecting the eventual DLC for Splatoon 3 to come out on NSO EP. But this to me still proves this point. (Already own the that DLC, it's so good)

And I also think the latest Nintendo Warrior games that had DLC or is gonna (Age of Calamity and Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes) will be on NSO EP. I didn't think this what they are building to but with the inclusion of MK8 DX DLC, the picture is becoming clear with 1st party DLC and any possible inclusion of other Nintendo gaming platforms is how Nintendo is gonna build value with NSO EP.

If I was some big Splatoon fan, I would've gotten that $20 pass back in 2018. I'm finding it amusing how desperate they are to add artificial value to NSO EP. If it already had enough people subscribing to it like the original online plan, they wouldn't be adding these things to it as incentives. They'd probably put in Smash's two fighter passes at this rate. They really want more people to buy the EP, but I'm not budging as it currently is.

At this point they're better off just lowering the price of the expansion pack or better yet, making it part of the original online pass. Obviously not gonna happen, I know, but the original by itself already wasn't that popular.

Nothing short of the Game Boy/Advance rumors will earn back some goodwill for me, and even that's not guaranteed to get me to upgrade my online plan. Depends on how they do it.

That is true. That is why I am curious with the MK8 DX DLC what won't you have access to the DLC?

As it stands, no one needs to get the DLC to play if all you play MK8 DX is online. As long as someone online have the DLC you can play them online or in friend lobby. So let's say someone gets the DLC thru the NSO EP, they will only lose the to play the DLC offline? How does that work exactly?

How this work for Splatoon 2 DLC and more so yeah, as much as they want add more they have think and make sense as Nintendo can what will not be accessible to the DLC anymore when you're not on NSO EP.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:43 PM, Ithrak Utopia said:

If they add GB, GBC and GBA to the NSO Expansion without raising the price, I'm very likely going to upgrade even knowing that the support for those systems may be trickled out. If they raise the price to $60 a year, I think I'll wait but it'll still be an inevitable upgrade (unless the launch is really good, then I'll be there on update). All it would take is Superstar Saga and Super Mario Land 2 honestly. Beyond that, $70 or even $80, I would be on the fence swaying towards the not upgrading side. $70 would need plenty of releases to tempt me...and even then I don't think I'll make the move off of the base plan. I don't think any new systems should be added to the base plan either. It doesn't make sense to me that Nintendo would want to have new support for anything other than the more expensive plan. 

Not me. I'm not interested in upgrading. The price still wouldn't be justified. The only way I would be, is if the price was dropped. 

That said, I just hope they bring any of the games there to the eshop to buy.

I think the reason older/retro games on the eshop aren't really a thing anymore is because of the diminishing returns Nintendo saw from people buying those games individually on their previous systems' stores, and saw that people now would sooner sign up for a subscription service where those games would be included. Plus, if those games were sold on the Switch eshop, it would make them being included with Switch Online far less enticing. Imagine too if Super Metroid for example wasn't included in the SNES library of NSO but you could only buy it on the eshop; people would be rightfully mad at that as well. It's an all or nothing kind of thing between buying or renting as it were. If Super Metroid (using it as an example again) were included on both the eshop and the NSO library, most would still just go with the NSO library option instead of paying for it individually. It would be nice to have the option of both buying or renting digitally for certain games though, but it's an economics thing, especially when it would still be a license and not physical copies of said games.

48 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not me. I'm not interested in upgrading. The price still wouldn't be justified. The only way I would be, is if the price was dropped. 

I could only see a price drop coming for NSO Expansion if they create a third, more expensive tier if they do move forward with bringing the entire GB line to the service. Even then, I think Nintendo lowering the price is slim. They're certainly not lowering while adding everything GB to NSO Expansion, unless Nintendo has some terrible news on the way elsewhere that most fans would really lose their minds over. I'm also only considering upgrading if everything from the GB line is on the table, not just the original's library. GB itself should have been included in the original offer instead of Genesis with the N64. Now I'm looking for that, GBC content and GBA titles. 

Considering how they priced the service when they added just one of their legacy systems, Nintendo could very easily consider upwards of $80 with a new tier to be a fair price by supporting everything handheld up to the Nintendo DS. 

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

I think the reason older/retro games on the eshop aren't really a thing anymore is because of the diminishing returns Nintendo saw from people buying those games individually on their previous systems' stores, and saw that people now would sooner sign up for a subscription service where those games would be included. Plus, if those games were sold on the Switch eshop, it would make them being included with Switch Online far less enticing. Imagine too if Super Metroid for example wasn't included in the SNES library of NSO but you could only buy it on the eshop; people would be rightfully mad at that as well. It's an all or nothing kind of thing between buying or renting as it were. If Super Metroid (using it as an example again) were included on both the eshop and the NSO library, most would still just go with the NSO library option instead of paying for it individually. It would be nice to have the option of both buying or renting digitally for certain games though, but it's an economics thing, especially when it would still be a license and not physical copies of said games.

Well they're losing prospective customers, who aren't interested in paying that much more for said service.

Maybe those people would. But not everyone. Especially if they're not able to keep paying for the higher tier. It's just nice to have another option, just to continue to have access to the games.

Agreed. Especially, given the economy. 

54 minutes ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

I could only see a price drop coming for NSO Expansion if they create a third, more expensive tier if they do move forward with bringing the entire GB line to the service. Even then, I think Nintendo lowering the price is slim. They're certainly not lowering while adding everything GB to NSO Expansion, unless Nintendo has some terrible news on the way elsewhere that most fans would really lose their minds over. I'm also only considering upgrading if everything from the GB line is on the table, not just the original's library. GB itself should have been included in the original offer instead of Genesis with the N64. Now I'm looking for that, GBC content and GBA titles. 

Considering how they priced the service when they added just one of their legacy systems, Nintendo could very easily consider upwards of $80 with a new tier to be a fair price by supporting everything handheld up to the Nintendo DS. 

Maybe. But they're moving towards having this be a system for the wealthy. It's less affordable as it is.

That would be that much more of an automatic no from me. 

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Maybe. But they're moving towards having this be a system for the wealthy. It's less affordable as it is.

That would be that much more of an automatic no from me. 

They're still 1/2 to 1/3 of rival consoles.

What Nintendo will have to answer for is value though... online infrastructure, communication tools, game selection...  ps and xbx have more value but cost more..  as prices go up, so will demand for features and benefits.

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

They're still 1/2 to 1/3 of rival consoles.

What Nintendo will have to answer for is value though... online infrastructure, communication tools, game selection...  ps and xbx have more value but cost more..  as prices go up, so will demand for features and benefits.

Doesn't mean that I agree with said pricing. 

It occurred to me if the DS line was ever on the table for NSO, that they'd have to bring back the online play of said DS games for people to give a damn, which I think they'd do given the online play that the other multiplayer games of SNES/SNES, etc have had on NSO. Metroid Prime Hunters online being back would be much rejoiced.

As far as GBA NSO is concerned, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission (particularly Fusion) would get me to sign up day 1, depending on the price of the new service tier. Beyond my usual Metroid favoritism though, how the GB/GBA library overall looks from the start would determine how soon I'd invest in it if it was a reasonable price. The N64 library was pathetically small with the games it started out with, especially for the price it demanded. The emulation/online issues brought up didn't help either, but Game Boy games would be easier to emulate by nature.

And yeah, potential pricing aside, my biggest concern is whether Nintendo ever ups the features or quality of their online. With Sony and Xbox you get what you pay for in terms of value, but Nintendo's still in the stone age in comparison when it comes to good & stable online, which is another reason I find the $50 for N64 online outrageous aside from the 64 and Genesis alone not matching the value of $50 for many people. If they become even bolder with the pricing while still giving very little in return, I'll continue giving them the middle finger.