Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

Aside from the NSO shitshow, think about what this means for Paper Mario. It's the exact same stunt that they've pulled countless times in the past to justify ignoring B-list franchises.

"What's that, Paper Mario fans? You didn't like Sticker Star, Color Splash, or Origami King? You want a more traditional RPG experience? Well, we've got good news! The original Paper Mario is coming to the Switch! Oh? What's that? You don't want to pay 50 dollars for a shitty service? Very well, I guess you don't want a traditional Paper Mario game after all."

"What's that, Star Fox fans? You don't want to play with terrible tacked-on motion controls that you can't turn off? Very well, I guess you don't want a new Star Fox game after all."

"What's that, Pikmin fans? You don't a side-scrolling platformer? Very well, I guess you don't want a new Pikmin game after all."

"What's that, Metroid fans? You don't want to play a co-op multiplayer-focused game on the 3DS? Very well, I guess you don't want a new Metroid after all."

WTF at Nintendo but what the fuck at what we expected the release timing to be like. I can't say there was a reason why we waited a month and half till the next title release but I have a small feeling that this will at least be the norm of N64 games, once a month.  So 12 games per year won't drain the lot and we might see some bangers proper spread out then like 3very 2-3 months of 3-4 N64 games.

If this is really what's happening I prefer this method of one game per month. And it looks like at least for now the NES/SNES is done.

Like Donkey Kong Country 3, Banjo had a little Christmas thing in it, so would’ve made more sense for the game to be put on the service this month rather than January, like how we got DKC3 last December.

It’s drip feeding either way, but I’ll be surprised if one game added per month is something they keep at consistently, especially with how smaller the 64’s library is than the NES or SNES. One game per month was something they initially did with the latter two if I recall right until they decided to slow down for some reason.

Oh yeah, I forgot the NES/SNES were one game per month at the start. I think that is why we had so much expectations of the service at that start and not where it ended at.

Yes, if anyone wasn't aware N64 had a really limited library even more so when they can't put out certain license games. Also, that datamine of the N64 games showed 40-50 games coming to the service, tho it is very possible the one game per month is indicative of how the NES/SNES start and not how it end. The limited library of N64 may work in favor to keep that initial release pace going. Probably wishful thinking but it makes sense to keep it up with how limited the N64 library of games are compared to NES or SNES separately, add the fact of the number of games datamined seem to support this line of thinking as well.

Thinking on just Banjo Kazooie at the moment and it being added soon, gives a bittersweet feeling, since if it was just a one-time purchase for like $20 on the e-shop, fans would've been all over that, but a $50 year subscription? No.

Based on an earlier leak too, I'm inclined to believe that Nintendo could've released Banjo on the Wii U Virtual Console (they were able to do so with Donkey Kong 64 after all), but chose to save him for this shit.

Rare Replay on Switch also would've been preferable to what we have here. Even just the individual Banjo games on Xbox platforms you're better off getting since they're not locked behind a yearly paywall (not talking about Xbox Live but just the games themselves). With Microsoft's generosity though, I'm sure they did offer Rare Replay to be on Switch, but Nintendo likely declined so they could save Banjo and all the Rare stuff for N64 NSO.

No matter how you spin it, Nintendo fans get the raw end of the deal in how the anticipated Banjo games are distributed, which sucks with how much fans were looking forward to his games eventually being on a Nintendo system again after getting added to Smash.

People talk about Nintendo and Microsoft as if they're best buddies, and while it truly is great that we've gotten so much stuff from them, the truth of the matter is that it's completely one-sided.

Nintendo is the only one who benefits from this "partnership". We've gotten Banjo and Steve in Smash, and Switch ports of games that were formerly XBox-exclusive. What has Microsoft gotten in return? Samus playable in Halo Infinite? The Blue Falcon in Forza Horizon? An XBox port of Breath of the Wild? Nope! All they've gotten is a single throwaway line from Sakurai in Banjo's Smash showcase, "Please play this game on XBox!"

@Ridley Prime: Yes, I and believe most ppl would of love the Rare Replay or even the Microsoft editions of Banjo-Kazooie first two games. (tho they would have change all the Nintendo logo's they did in those games from Microsoft back to Nintendo again) Yes, we got a raw deal but when I look at the logistics this was the fair compromise of just getting the original N64 version with of course Microsoft consent with them owning the IP despite 2 different version, one Nintendo and the other Microsoft.

@Tyranogre: We all know Nintendo is not giving up their IP's to anyone even as you said as chummy as MIcrosoft and Nintendo is being. So I don't think or anyone else is surprised how one sided their partnership is. Until Nintendo learns to share and no one complains out right from Microsoft to Nintendo how one-sided it is, we will continue to see this take and take relationship with Micorsoft. Nintendo have the IP's but Microsoft have the money and they will soon will not put up with Nintendo one-sided relationship for so long with gamepass providing the surplus income for them, the way I see it.

Question; the Minecraft that is on Switch with the Nintendo IP's, specifically the Super Mario stuff exclusive to Nintendo like with the with Rocket League having Nintendo IP's? I have only played Rocket League on Switch and have never played a Minecraft game, ever. If not the permission to put Nintendo IP's on another platform, don't you think Minecraft is the way with so many eyes on that game already and the install base on other platforms as it is?

You would think so as far as Minecraft.

And yeah, I believe Phil Spencer or someone at Microsoft said more recently that their relationship with Nintendo is not sustainable as is, although it looks like they'll remain on friendly terms unlike what happened between Nintendo and Sony (before the Playstation came to be) or something. Much as I usually like Nintendo, it is kinda disturbing how they come off as wanting everything but can give nothing, which is partly why they're hard to work with for other companies. Is also why I always doubted Master Chief getting into Smash. Some Nintendo/Halo fans wanted that along with most of the Halo games getting ported on Switch, but what would Microsoft get in return for that? It has to be a quid pro quo kind of partnership between them for something of that magnitude that to happen, but it isn't. We were lucky we got Banjo and Steve as it was.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:54 PM, Tyranogre said:

Aside from the NSO shitshow, think about what this means for Paper Mario. It's the exact same stunt that they've pulled countless times in the past to justify ignoring B-list franchises.

"What's that, Metroid fans? You don't want to play a co-op multiplayer-focused game on the 3DS? Very well, I guess you don't want a new Metroid after all."

Federation Force released in August 2016 and by June 2017 two new Metroid games were announced, one of which released a few months later in 2017. Did Metroid fans think every dislike they gave Federation Force's reveal trailer would result in a new Metroid game? The only divisive Metroid game that has been followed by a hiatus is Other M.

I can see them having that mentality though of ignoring a certain kind of game or franchise. Star Fox Zero, Hey! Pikmin, Other M and then there's what they did with Chibi-Robo on the 3DS...handful of instances, and it could continue to play out when Paper Mario's release on the NSO Expansion Pass doesn't result in more upgrades. I want to experience more of Nintendo's legacy catalog on the Switch, since there is a media capture tied to system itself rather than something temporary and now gone like 3DS/Wii U Miiverse, and would have gladly double or even triple dipped on some of their games. I got Paper Mario last year off of the Wii U VC in anticipation of Origami King's release, both have remained unfinished, but I would be interested in returning to the game on the Switch. I'm just not $50 a year interested in what NSO Expansion Pass currently is. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

I thought about commenting on it earlier, but yeah, the Federation Force example wasn't really accurate like with those other ones given what Metroid still got soon after. Every other part of Ty's post was spot-on though in how Nintendo pretty much sabotaged their B-list franchises, intentionally or not. Mind you, I liked Star Fox Zero more than most did, but at the end of the day was an attempted reboot that came a gen too late.

So for those wondering about additional NSO Genesis games, a few just got added... Altered Beast, ToeJam & Earl, Dynamite Headdy, Sword of Vermilion, and Thunder Force II.

Five games added in one go? This makes the slow drip feed of N64 games look even more abysmal. Pathetic, rubbish.

In all seriousness, this is more along the lines of how many Nintendo games I would've expected to be added at a time, not one or two. Oh, and if you say it’s to mask how little games the N64 has compared to NES, SNES, or Genesis, to that I say there’s still plenty games on the 64 besides Nintendo produced games specifically, but like with NSO NES/SNES, I guess it comes down to various 3rd party games they just can’t or won’t get the license for, Sega and Rare notwithstanding.

Hell, there were plenty NES/SNES/N64 games on previous system’s Virtual Consoles that you don’t see now on NSO. No defense you can make for N64 NSO clouds the fact that NSO is largely a stripped down Virtual Console, online play features for some games aside.

Edited by Ridley Prime

@Ridley Prime: Oh, I didn't think you were talking out your ass about the Genesis games you wanted but they are actually releasing these, my bad.

Your talking about this?

Now back to the trickle release of games for the N64, you know as much as anyone who knows the N64 line is limited (regardless how many VC 64 titles there were, which wasn't a lot either) so I don't know where this expectation of more titles per release is coming? Look I'm not defending Nintendo or anything, I will call out anything that needs to be called out but these facts remain and cannot be denied; N64 titles that can be released and those games that are datamined is what is determining my expected release pattern. So I somewhat expected this trickle release.

I don't if either the N64 or Genesis will continue, like this but I am fine with this release pattern. What I'll be upset is if it not consistent either every month with one N64 release or like NES/SNES it's every other other month of one N64 game. (which I think how the Genesis games will release at 4-5 at a time)

Another I won't like, which most can agree is how the NES/SNES ended with kinda WTF titles. I think that is an eventuality that can't be avoid especially with N64 games, that is more reason that I think this slow trickle for N64 games is great if the datamine is correct.

I didn't know this was a thing in Paper Mario on NSO 64, some tree in Shiver City, if you knock it with an hammer, the game will close with an error and you will lose your save data for the file when you open the game. If you have a suspend point or a recent one. I recommend using them near there incase you forget not to hammer trees in Shiver City or don't at all till this error is fixed.

I heard the above from Spawn Wave News Wave this morning, that he got the new from a reddit post about this. I have been playing PM and currently about to make my way to Shiver City, glad I heard about this. Tho, this is weird, I forget where and why but my game close sometime playing PM but luckily my save file was still present. Also, I recall last year there was weird progression bug PMTOK with the 2nd last world I think. I just missed that bug too because I already pass that area and my game was already updated to the latest version.

What's with the PM series and these bugs that can really ruin your game, huh?

EDIT: Here's the vid for GX showing how one of the glitches happen?

Edited by DLurkster

Right on schedule.

It seems instead of looking forward to whatever games they add to the service, all I really have to look forward to is how much a trainwreck they'll be in emulation if not online. I try not to overly beat the horse as mentioned before, but they keep giving me ammo. $50 for this shit. Unfathomable, unconscionable.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I was gonna edit my post with the above that for some reason if it wasn't for PM, I don't think we would of known for sure that emulator crashes and saved game files goes with it.

Honestly if Nintendo knew this with emulators why they....NVM they half-ass it when they feel is necessary. WTF Nintendo, I can't believe that not only did you launch the N64 emulation with poor emulation but no proper work around for how the game inside app actually saves games. This could explain why Winback and MK64 is properly codes to save cause it still thinks its needs a controller pack, the fuck man Nintendo. Do something quick, this is unacceptable!

• 4 weeks later...