Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

10 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Pretty much and actually it is more than double the basic NSO subscription to the expansion pass. $20US is basic NSO +$30USD for the expansion pass=$50USD overall, more than double than the initial NSO.

MORE THAN DOUBLE. YIKES.

9 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

I wonder if there’ll be an option for the NSO expansion without the ACNH dlc attached to it down the line? Probably not since there was the  $49.99 single plan and $79.99 family plan. :(

Won't happen. Even base NSO was already going for an Amazon Prime model: instead of buying things separately, you have an buy an expensive subscription bundle that's only worth its price if you're going to use every part of it (and you won't). So I say it's obvious that every big Nintendo DLC expansion will be added to this plan, alongside Animal Crossing.

Man, I thought NSO+ would take the Pokemon HOME route of squeezing a few dollars, but instead Nintendo is going full Amazon. This is so unlike them.

I'm still remembering how pretty much everyone forgot how the Switch had free online for awhile in the first few months and when we started paying for it, literally nothing about the online functions itself changed. Like fundamentally it was the same online that we got for free, just now we were paying for it, and now they have the balls to try and charge us even more for a bunch of roms, without fixing their online itself. $20 for S/NES games is fine as a bonus, but we were still paying for an online that did not have any real improvements or changes from when we were playing it for free, and that’s the problem. 

At least when Microsoft started (or rather, popularized) the paid online trend, it was back when the internet was still a luxury for most rather than a lifestyle, and it was good quality online for what you paid for, when the concept of online gaming was still a novelty. It took awhile for for Playstation’s network to catch up to Xbox Live, which it then similarly became a paid service by the time it did. But Nintendo started charging money for online play without really improving their online itself, which is ass backwards. I know that any progress they make in something like the online department tends to be in baby steps, but how they push people’s patience with that while also charging more and more for roms that we’ll never get to own permanently like under the Virtual Console system is aggravating.

Paying to play online is a relic that only still exists because capitalism, but at least with Sony and Microsoft you get what you pay for; quality online on their service. Except for the occasional times where Nintendo had a dud, I’ve always still liked them the best as far as their brand, which is why it hurts that their online’s still as bad as it is.

Edited by Ridley Prime

@Ridley Prime: Nah, I know I haven't forgotten that Switch's Online was free the first 18 months of its release to market. We knew if ppl followed Nintendo that 2 months before its release in March 2017 that Nintendo would charge for the online this gen. I think most were surprised that was gonna occur but I guess it was always a possibility if Nintendo wanted a piece of that pie like similar gaming giants and hopefully offer incentives worth the charge.

Like a few weeks ago with no price for the expansion pack we had no idea when Nintendo would charge for online. I honestly forget when it said it would, I wanna say summer of 2018. We knew of the services and such to an extent way before but no launch date or price.

When knew of the price even with the features offered, I don't believed most scoffed at the price point. We thought like still now, that's not a lot but as you said RP from going from free online to paid with no improvement wise connectivity or communication and in usual Nintendo fashion, when prior gens had better facilities when it comes to messaging, gifting, and virtual catalogue. (tho we had re buy that catalogue over 2 gens)

Now we're at the present when the only incentive Nintendo believes is worth a value is adding DLC to subscription where not everybody has the game to run it is what could be jacking the price up outside what is obvious money grab with SEGA and what 3rd parties offering for the N64. The latter I guess we get but this perceived value with the DLC is ass backward outside businessly smart in how AC: NH sold but other than that this is stupid. 

The only thing Nintendo responds to is money. If enough people don't upgrade or "Netflix'ing" the subscription, they'll change the situation; but if enough people upgrade, they'll be happy and do nothing. Personally, I went the "Netflix" route, because reasons.

And while the negative online response is palpable, I don't know how much that reflects on the entire consumerbase. *looks at OLED's week one sales compared to online response*

9 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Imagine if there was as much energy towards trying to get Nintendo to improve their online (from their consumers, investors, etc) as there is with "release muh 4K Switch!".

Well played but...

I think the 4K buzzword, considering XBXxs and PS5, catches more customer's eyes than "now with better internet connection."

That said, from what I gather, to process 4K games in a tablet form factor isn't possible...BUT.... AI upscaling techniques with properly set up games is possible in a tablet form factor.

But yeah, online play connection/infrastructure is something they have to start doing for what they want to charge for.

20 minutes ago, Stephen 776 said:

The only thing Nintendo responds to is money. If enough people don't upgrade or "Netflix'ing" the subscription, they'll change the situation; but if enough people upgrade, they'll be happy and do nothing. Personally, I went the "Netflix" route, because reasons.

And while the negative online response is palpable, I don't know how much that reflects on the entire consumerbase. *looks at OLED's week one sales compared to online response*

Lets be real... week 1 sales are for white joy con option, larger screen, and OLED screen....  I consider true sales trends for it if it keeps doing well into the holidays.

To the first point though ...this will be interesting to observe and see play out... but I think they messed up at the start with their paid online as it came off as a streaming games service and not an actual improved online experience.... and now that it has transitioned into more expensive service with more systems it's still the same thing again... in reality.

18 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Well played but...

I think the 4K buzzword, considering XBXxs and PS5, catches more customer's eyes than "now with better internet connection."

That's because PlayStation and Xbox have had a good established online system for awhile. Nintendo hasn't.

I'm serious though. More people should try to put as much energy into trying to get Nintendo to improve their online system. We'd might see some progress on that end instead of things being mostly the same as they have with their outdated servers, etc.

13 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

That's because PlayStation and Xbox have had a good established online system for awhile. Nintendo hasn't.

I'm serious though. More people should try to put as much energy into trying to get Nintendo to improve their online system. We'd might see some progress on that end instead of things being mostly the same as they have with their outdated servers, etc.

Ohh, you don't have to sell me on it getting improved/needing improvement....

No chat system ---had Miiverse/Wiimail on the Wii... I mean...damn

No Voice Chat---like why.... and even if kids are the issues, you have block and locks to shut that kind of thing down

Gifting games disappeared after the Wii was gone.

And online lag.... ON FLAGSHIP TITLES NO LESS LIKE MK8 and SMASH....

And the pricing being close to the others mean people expect it.

Yeah, I commented on that Nintendo and this announcement with the price of the expansion pack is Sony currently in how they reversed Forbidden West to be upgradeable from PS4 to PS5. They first announced that you can only get PS4 to PS5 by buying digitally only for $10 more. The reason it was reversed like XBOX Live double the price is because of the consumer outcry. Like Stephen said and I think most think, I don't Nintendo won't budge in their stance or care to reevaluate price for the expansion pack no matter disdain for the current price. It will take a miracle or time when Nintendo review who actually bought the expansion pack and realized their projections were lower than anticipated. That's the only I see Nintendo might change I feel as if the numbers are that low in the first 3 months, it is only likely to get lower no higher, no matter what no titles ppl are really looking forward too.

I'm only gonna be a hypocrite until the day of release of the expansion pass and if the prorated discount depending where you are in your current year subscription is. I renewed little over a month ago. So depending if this discount I might bite if the price gets more reasonable there but for now and if this discount is not reasonable it is and still a firm no to the expansion pack.

What discount LOL?

If you pay $20 already..... you pay $30.... and at best you renewed a month ago so it would be prorated at 11 months.... to have it line up for renewal at the same time.

THis one, I might do a ONE month.... and see like the guy MVG said....  or I might hold out till more 4p online games hit because MK64, DrM, and FZX....   when I have as little time as I do for gaming.... tough to go an extra 30

So $25 AC paid DLC by itself

Bundled with NSOEP @ $50

So..... the add ons are really $50-25(AC)-20(base NSO)= $5?

Why have the NSO price propped up by AC DLC?

Why not offer a no AC DLC price?

And/or say more DLC will fall under this blanket price even with a mentioned game but at least say future DLC packs can come under this...?

On 10/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, Surge135 said:

My guess is that you'll only need to cover roughly 80% of the extra $30 for the Expansion Pack if you re-subbed in September so I'm gonna say... $25?

18 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

What discount LOL?

If you pay $20 already..... you pay $30.... and at best you renewed a month ago so it would be prorated at 11 months.... to have it line up for renewal at the same time.

THis one, I might do a ONE month.... and see like the guy MVG said....  or I might hold out till more 4p online games hit because MK64, DrM, and FZX....   when I have as little time as I do for gaming.... tough to go an extra 30

I'm going on what Surge brought up as example here.

On other hand if have just a month left to renew, I assume the discount won't be that much so who knows how this is gonna go until October 25th. So like I said for now firm no until I know this prorated for me as I renewed last month. That's what I mean by discount, at least this first time around, PB. That's better then waiting for worth of value or not at all. Which it looks like I might not get but I am saving that October 25th date.

2 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

So $25 AC paid DLC by itself

Bundled with NSOEP @ $50

So..... the add ons are really $50-25(AC)-20(base NSO)= $5?

Why have the NSO price propped up by AC DLC?

Why not offer a no AC DLC price?

And/or say more DLC will fall under this blanket price even with a mentioned game but at least say future DLC packs can come under this...?

Yeah, I commented this a few times and few other, why isn't there separate option without the DLC. And who know what Nintendo try to justify this DLC and its suppose charge.

As for the any DLC afterwards, you run into the same issue that if you're not on the subscription, what things stay and what does or anything at all? Take Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity DLC, do the additional story goes away and the new weapons stay? That's not comparable to AC: HHP where all the furniture and stuff will still be accessible without the expansion pack but you can visit the new Islands from the DLC. So each new DLC have its sets of issues it might run into what stays and what doesn't when the subscription runs out.

I think they thought carefully with this DLC of AC, how fast it can sell and what content still remains after the subscription. So I don't see new DLC coming to this tier is too complicated to manage around to justify this $50 if they are gonna stick with it.

15 hours ago, Stephen 776 said:

ugggghhhhh game freak game freak game freak

At least Nintendo's game developers aren't joining management in this spiral into Game Freak practices. But it's not just Pokemon and Nintendo fans who complain about garbage yet buy it anyway--FIFA consistently tops charts even though it's the same damned half-baked game every year.

Had a good convo with someone I know who became a fist time Switch owner last Christmas but has had a lot of legacy gaming with Nintendo platforms but prefers PC/PS as systems of choice over the last 10 years or so.

He thought:

$30 price bump is insane for the quality of the online experience.

Would be ok of more systems like the GC/GBC/GBA came onboard as well

Plans to play wait and see on N64 game rollout to see if it feels like its worth getting money out of his wallet to upgrade...more/more frequent titles would boost his confidence.