Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

A $30 increase for the NSO Expansion Pack? OOPH!! Yeah, I will definitely won't be upgrading. 

To be fair... If they keep adding to the Expansion Pack this could become worth it in the future. Though, I ain't holding my breath. I hate having to pay for online in the first place! $20 a year is like the most I'd pay for it (given I have to). I just hope they don't forget about the base membership and continue to add to it.

Edited by alienboyva
13 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

Is the AC DLC not a permanent buy when you get it from the Expansion Pack? Because in that case this is an absolute no-brainer of a pass because a paid DLC should never be a recurring payment. Those are mobile game microtransactions, not DLC.

Yeah, I'm wondering this as well. I'd assume you'd just get it for free if you get a year of the Expansion Pack, but I wouldn't be surprised if you lose access to it when your EP sub is runs out. This is Nintendo after all.

Also, I wonder how much of a discount curent NSO members will get? I know they said it's based on the days remaining, but I just upped my sub for 2022 in Sept.

Edited by alienboyva
2 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Yeah, I'm wondering this as well. I'd assume you'd just get it for free if you get a year of the Expansion Pack, but I wouldn't be surprised if you lose access to it when your EP sub is runs out. This is Nintendo after all.

Also, I wonder how much of a discount curent NSO members will get? I know they said it's based on the days remaining, but I just upped my sub for 2022 in Sept.

My guess is that you'll only need to cover roughly 80% of the extra $30 for the Expansion Pack if you re-subbed in September so I'm gonna say... $25?

10 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

My guess is that you'll only need to cover roughly 80% of the extra $30 for the Expansion Pack if you re-subbed in September so I'm gonna say... $25?

For that price I could add another year to my base membership and continue playing online. :-/

25 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

For anyone getting the N64 controller, it WILL have rumble...

🔗https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-64-controller.html

BTW, the N64 controller is already out of stock (the SEGA GEN controller is still up). So, how many of these are already on ebay for 3x the price?

At least two of them, going for $150 alone or $200 with the Genesis controller included.

I'm curious, has anyone used the $35 family plan? I'm a little bummed since I was hoping to try banjo-kazooie via N64 this year (I could emulate, but playing on my computer is not very comfortable so having it on Switch is important), and while $50 per year is a lot, $10 per year is more than manageable. But want to know how the family plan experience is before recruiting other people.

40 minutes ago, Stephen 776 said:

I'm curious, has anyone used the $35 family plan? I'm a little bummed since I was hoping to try banjo-kazooie via N64 this year (I could emulate, but playing on my computer is not very comfortable so having it on Switch is important), and while $50 per year is a lot, $10 per year is more than manageable. But want to know how the family plan experience is before recruiting other people.

I'm currently using it with my brother and nephew connected. Nothing too complicated with the setup other than using emails to send invite confirmations.

Any other questions that I can try to answer you can toss my way.

Oh you think you guys have it bad check out Canada.

1648740454_Screenshot2021-10-15145257.thumb.png.608729fdfecd1fb30bcc295a4bdbbe73.png

2 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Tho, Surge maybe answered your question. I am still curious for the discount and what it will amount to. I guess we all will find out October 25th. If we gonna take the dip with this generous discount.

Like yeah, most want to get the N64 controller for nostalgia reason but this price of the expansion pass is such a turn off that I don't even want to PO'd I'll never have the experience too. So again we'll be lucky if those controllers are still up for PO by October 25th to see what this discount for this currently on the basic plan and want to upgrade to the expansion pack.

Like game $60 games in Canada is practically $90 with tax in my province. So those who have online with PSN and XBOX is $79.99 a year. How I avoid paying that much is paying for a CDKey for like half the price on PSN. I don't know or have seen if there's stuff like that for Nintendo but I would need one if this discount on the expansion pack is not looking good.

Nintendo is pulling a Sony, example when they announced Forbidden West and there was no way PS4 owner can for free to PS5 without getting the deluxe version, which included both the PS4 and PS5 version for $10 more than the PS4 edition. In the same 24hr period they shared their showcase everybody been waiting all summer for. 

Nintendo did their AC Direct and then dropped the news that we are paying $30 more for the expansion pack. Well one delivered the bad first then the good and the other did the good first then the bad. This is what ppl suspected why they didn't share the price of the expansion pack because they would be outcry like the Forbidden West fiasco. (which was corrected with enough outcry, like when Xbox was going to double the price of Xbox Live to get more ppl to use Xbox Game Pass) I honestly don't know how successful our outcry will be or if Nintendo will cave but it seems really, really slim.

I was looking so forward to the N64 + Genesis expansion but that price is outrageous. Went from a definite purchase to a maybe for me. It's 100 dollars in my local currency for the family plan... That much to play games from 25 - 30 years ago? That's unbelievable.

3 hours ago, Surge135 said:

Is the AC DLC not a permanent buy when you get it from the Expansion Pack? Because in that case this is an absolute no-brainer of a pass because a paid DLC should never be a recurring payment. Those are mobile game microtransactions, not DLC.

I've seen a tweet already addressing this, basically saying you lose access to the islands (and thus decorating the houses, taking on work, etc) but keep access to wall partitions, ceiling decor/lights in your actual island home. This is still too vague for me though, like does that mean if you remove that stuff you won't be able to put it back? Or is it just free access? If that's the case, why is it part of the DLC at all???

Either way, the price for the expansion pack NSO is insane and absolutely not worth it to me unless you're splitting it between people. I'll probably just buy the DLC outright to avoid thinking about it in the future, bc 100CAD is just nuts. y; 

50 minutes ago, Stephen 776 said:

Yeah, banjo is probably the first "launch window" title I'll want to play, so hopefully I can find other peeps to split costs. Davy is down if I can get a full 8, and I can maybe rope in his brother, but that still leaves 5 more coolkong;

I got myself and potentially two others, I'll see...

Nintendo is definitely feeling themselves with this expansion pack price.

We all know why they are packaging AC: HHP with the expansion pack, right? It is the second best selling title on Switch worldwide so why not include in place where most ppl have NSO already, why not huh?!? What I take issue is that even right now there's no title on Switch where half the current install base (probably over 90 mill) own one game like MK8DX or AC:NH so why the fuck on gods green earth would you bundle hotcakes that only sold really fast when not even half the Switch owners own AC: NH?!? I am one of that half don't own, no matter how you slice it by cost of the DLC or IP of 3rd party for N64, (more so the DLC) where's the justification of install base and what are you paying for with the DLC in expansion pack or not, huh?!?

Not bashing AC, I am happy for those who love the series and the latest iteration despite what seems to be happening currently seems to be mixed bag of good with the bad here but AC just isn't for me so this DLC effects me and anyone else like me who might want this expansion pack, especially if more than half don't own AC: NH.