Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

This is sooner than what I was expecting. I thought it'd start near the end of the month.

I wonder If they'll have NSO cards art retailers like the do for PSN+ and XBL? I would assume so, since places like Amazon and GameStop already ready let you pre-order a subscription. Yeah, I don't want it to auto-renew my sub right when a year is up (assume there we'll be an option to auto-renew like on other systems). Hell, if it weren't for the price and our Mario Kart Nights, I wouldn't even bother with the service, because... 1. I don't play online that much 2. I don't care for things like a VC service. I'd much rather have little VC boxes (mini classic systems).

4 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

This is sooner than what I was expecting. I thought it'd start near the end of the month.

I wonder If they'll have NSO cards art retailers like the do for PSN+ and XBL? I would assume so, since places like Amazon and GameStop already ready let you pre-order a subscription. Yeah, I don't want it to auto-renew my sub right when a year is up (assume there we'll be an option to auto-renew like on other systems). Hell, if it weren't for the price and our Mario Kart Nights, I wouldn't even bother with the service, because... 1. I don't play online that much 2. I don't care for things like a VC service. I'd much rather have little VC boxes (mini classic systems).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-nintendo-switch-online-12-month-membership-digital/6286910.p?skuId=6286910

Although this ones a link for the digital copy, there’s also physical ones listed:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-switch-online-12-month-membership-card/6269200.p?skuId=6269200

Best Buy has had Nintendo Switch Online prepaid cards available for preorder for a few weeks, I think...?

So it’s a safe bet there will be, I’d assume

Edited by Shadow118

I didn't play online when it was free and I certainly won't play online now that it won't be. Good for people who care I guess. 

Personally I think Nintendo's online has been going downhill for a while, but I don't think it's Nintendo's fault: not as many people play online Nintendo games anymore aside from hackers, griefers and hardcore nerds.

8 minutes ago, avalonknight said:

Yeah, if it weren't for Mario Kart nights, most likely I would not pay for the online service. The NES games service is nice, but I need to know more about it. Cloud saves is not as good as we would think.

Yep. Same goes for Pokemon and Smash. If it weren't for any of that, I probably wouldn't bother either.

Hmm, that is soon but I wonder if the delay in the direct prompt this or this was gonna be in the direct anyways?

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yep. Same goes for Pokemon and Smash. If it weren't for any of that, I probably wouldn't bother either.

Same boat but in addition to ARMS, MK8DX, Splatoon 2, and Mario Tennis Aces. Tho, I'll be playing these 3 titles the most MK8DX, Splatoon 2 and Smash Ultimate.

Now that we have seen "all of the details" to Nintendo Switch online, I guess now we sign up? I probably will want to play Smash online if anything. Lately I haven't been playing much online. I was excited about the potential the system had at launch to later add stuff such as messaging, invites, chatting, parties, etc all on the system itself. But looks like none of that is coming anytime soon.  I almost rather call my friends on the phone than chat using the smartphone app. Maybe I'll warm up to it, but I almost find it unacceptable at this point. 

So, come to find out the wireless NES controllers are only available to NSO members...

Makes since I guess, since you need the service to use theme (I assume NES games will be the only games to support the controllers). Still, I feel $60 is a bit much for 2 wireless NES controllers. Just add Wii Remote support so I can use my NES Classic controller and my SNES Classic controllers when SNES games get released.

Speaking of NES games...Here's a full list of all 20launch games, plus upcoming games, which include 'Special Versions'...

Soccer 
Tennis 
Donkey Kong™ 
Mario Bros.™ 
Super Mario Bros.™ 
Balloon Fight™ 
Ice Climber™ 
Dr. Mario™ 
The Legend of Zelda™ 
Super Mario Bros.™ 3 
Double Dragon 
River City Ransom 
Ghosts'n Goblins™ 
Tecmo Bowl 
Gradius 
Pro Wrestling 
Excitebike™ 
Yoshi™ 
Ice Hockey 
Baseball

Link: https://gonintendo.com/stories/318112-switch-online-full-list-of-launch-nes-games-revealed

-------------------------------------------------------

October 2018 

Double Dragon (SP) 
Gradius (SP) 
NES Open Tournament Golf 
Solomon's Key 
SUPER DODGE BALL 
Super Mario Bros. 3 (SP)

November 2018 

Dr. Mario (SP)    Metroid (SP)    Mighty Bomb Jack 
Super Mario Bros. (SP)    TwinBee

December 2018 

Adventures of Lolo    The Legend of Zelda (SP)    NINJA GAIDEN 
Wario's Woods

Link: https://gonintendo.com/stories/318121-nintendo-shares-release-dates-for-another-handful-of-switch-onlin

Hmm...Not sure what these special versions are, but I would assume they are the ones that will feature online play...?

Edited by alienboyva

Ooh I'm kind of glad to see Adventures of Lolo coming up in December, since that's one title I would've liked to see on the NES Classic.

I'm still not exactly impressed by the new Switch Online service but I'm gonna pay for it regardless to play Splatoon 2, Monster Hunter, and Smash Ultimate online, so oh well.

Just to clarify, but I’m assuming the NES games are free to those who have the membership, or....? I’m still not fully sure how that works

Granted, I’m not sure how many of these NES titles will interest me...

Though, hopefully they’ll eventually add games from other systems in time - SNES would be a logical next step..

Earthbound 0 and Earthbound would both be nice to be brought over to the Switch

Considering 0 is already translated into English, I doubt it would be too difficult to bring over..

Still think I’ll be going ahead and getting the subscription, though... doubt it’ll hurt to do so

Also reminds me that i need to get a new Pokébank subscription... my X PC needs some more organizing and cleaning...

Some things to point out...

Q. Can I try Nintendo Switch Online for free?

A. You can enjoy a 7-day free trial of the Nintendo Switch Online paid membership service! In Nintendo eShop, select the Nintendo Switch Online option on the left navigation to activate your free trial.

Please note: one free trial period available per Nintendo Account. During the free trial, you can use the online play, voice chat via the smartphone app, Save Data Cloud and Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online services. It’s not possible to purchase Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers during the trial period.

If automatic renewal is set, once your free 7-day trial is over, your membership will be renewed via the automatic purchase of an individual 1-month (30 day) membership. If you do not wish to purchase a membership, you can terminate automatic renewal during the free trial and will not be charged.

Q. How do automatic renewal payments work?

A. If you have the necessary funds in your Nintendo eShop balance when automatic renewal takes place, they will be automatically taken from your balance. If you don't have enough funds, then your saved payment method will be used to automatically add the remainder to your balance and purchase the membership.

Please note: you must be aged 18 or above to use automatic renewal.

Q. How is the membership type for automatic renewal decided?

A. Generally, the same membership type that you are already using will be automatically purchased. However, if you activate the 7-day free trial from Nintendo eShop, then a 1 month Individual Membership will be automatically purchased.

If you purchase a different membership type from your current one, then the most recently purchased membership type will be used for automatic renewal. For example, if you purchase a 12 month membership during a 3 month membership, the next automatic renewal will be for a 12 month membership.

Please note: while using a Family Membership, it is not possible to change the automatic renewal to an Individual Membership.

-------------------------------------------------------------

These we already brought up in the 9/13 Nintendo Direct thread, but....

Q. After my Nintendo Switch Online subscription expires, will my Save Data Cloud files and Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data be erased?

A. Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership. Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online also uses the Save Data Cloud, so the same applies. However, if you keep the Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data saved locally on your Nintendo Switch console, then you can use it again if you purchase another membership.

Q. Can Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online only be played where I have an active internet connection?

A. Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online can by played for up to seven days without an internet connection. If you are unable to launch Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, then please try connecting to the internet again.

Seems kinda shitty that if you have auto-renewal on it auto-takes the necessary funds (if available) from your eShop balance before using any saved payment method you might have set up. I can see this causing a bit of confusion for people. You should be able to choose how auto-renewal takes funds. Though on the plus side, you should be able to use eShop cards to pay for your NOS subscription (if you choose to do so), but since it looks like they are going to have separate prepaid cards for NSO, it kinda doesn't make since. More options are always better I guess. It's also, kinda shitty that if you don't renew after the 7-day free trial and don't turn off auto-renewal you'll automatically get charged for a month of NSO (if you have the funds or a saved payment method in your account). I can see this making some people who were uninformed quite upset.

As for you cloud-saves. It really should keep your saves for at least a month or so, if you let your NSO subscription expire.

Nice to see that we can play the NES games offline (the Switch is also a portable system after all). I was fearing you had to always be connected online to play them. This solution looks to be a good middle-ground, though why not just expire when your subscription expires?

Edited by alienboyva
On 9/14/2018 at 4:04 PM, alienboyva said:

As for you cloud-saves. It really should keep your saves for at least a month or so, if you let your NSO subscription expire.

I watched a clip of the Kinda Funny Games daily news and the clip had a viewer who wanted to look into further about cloud saves deletion. The viewer was from the UK, he called Nintendo Customer Service there and they said to to him that cloud saves are not deleted right away but he does not know how long the data will stay. As mentioned in the vid, this isn't something we can say is gospel but regardless if the FAQ is correct that is horrible and on the other hand if the customer service rep is correct we need to know how long the cloud save stay in the cloud without subscription.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, Shadow118 said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-nintendo-switch-online-12-month-membership-digital/6286910.p?skuId=6286910

Although this ones a link for the digital copy, there’s also physical ones listed:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-switch-online-12-month-membership-card/6269200.p?skuId=6269200

Best Buy has had Nintendo Switch Online prepaid cards available for preorder for a few weeks, I think...?

So it’s a safe bet there will be, I’d assume

While out today I was near a BestBuy, so I decided to stop by, and they indeed are going to have NSO cards. Though, they didn't have any (even asked an employee about them) I assume for whatever reason they aren't allowed to sell them yet, otherwise they'd be out. 

I'll just run by my local GameStop on Tuesday and see if they have any, as it's just down the road from my house. Hey, at least I have a week to get one with the free trial all. 

*Pic in spoiler do to size*

Spoiler

image.jpeg

Edited by alienboyva
34 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

While out today I was near a BestBuy, so I decided to stop by, and they indeed are going to have NSO cards. Though, they didn't have any (even asked an employee about them) I assume for whatever reason they aren't allowed to sell them yet, otherwise they'd be out. 

I'll just run by my local GameStop on Tuesday and see if they have any, as it's just down the road from my house. Hey, at least I have a week to get one with the free trial all. 

image.jpeg

That's a neat little display.  I don't think I've ever seen one of those in my area, though it depends on how recent it is since the last time I've been in a Best Buy was back in early March.