Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

Just now, alienboyva said:

For the NES games you can play them offline of 7 days before you need to connect to the internet again. Dunno why they don't just revoke your access when your membership is up. 

because if you go offline, you can control the clock of switch I'm guessing and just permanently keep the games, which is... hardly a notable abuse case but I guess one they cared about.

23 minutes ago, InXplotch said:

Question, can you play the NES games offline, or do you have to connect to the internet to play them?

Yes you can, there's an offline mode that it automatically switches to. Like you said though you have to connect at least once every seven days to keep playing the games (so they know you're still subscribed).

36 minutes ago, InXplotch said:

because if you go offline, you can control the clock of switch I'm guessing and just permanently keep the games, which is... hardly a notable abuse case but I guess one they cared about.

As it was brought here several time, you have to connect every 7 days. As for change the clock, this isn't like the 3DS and Pokemon, this is the internet it know how much time pass no matter you mess with time. The internet finds a way.

Joking aside, altering your system clock shouldn't but more so wouldn't change the time not only because of the internet, this is the first Nintendo console that knows to change to daylight saving time like computer internal clock. So no can do.

Sidenote: I don't mind the 7 day connect back but this sounds similar when the Xbox One first came out and their DRM practice said you need to connect back after several days with used games or something of the sort. The backlash eventually had that taken out. As I said I don't mind but with nature of this hybrid console. I think timeframe either need to be more flexible than 7 day or not all, we'll see if this changes or not.

Edited by DLurkster

Strictly game play speaking, I found the games to work smooth and look great.

I was getting a lot of latency error messages though like it was saying my connection was bad and to look into some settings.... but didn't see the setting it was talking about.

2p RCR was EPIC to play.

The Odd thing I that I don't get is some online is a view and cheer for that game and another is true 2p play.  But, its not quite clear if you enter a 2 player applicable game in 2p mode to begin with to have the option to have someone jump in or can you be in 1p mode, 2p glove appears and you go back and set for 2p play.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/nintendo_switch_now_supports_digital_game_sharing_but_theres_a_catch

Found this interesting.

Edited by purple_beard
14 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

They really should just have one app and call it the NSO Virtual Console. Having more than one app will make things a bit more complicated than it needs to be and just clutter up your home screen. Especially, we since don't have folders and we can't sort or games/apps

Could be nitpicking but this again just looks like they didn't plan this out. What was the point of the delay when besides perceived value, where functionality we've been asking for like folders isn't a thing already. I get why themes are not there but no fucking folders?!?

C'mon now?!?

Edited by DLurkster
13 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Strictly game play speaking, I found the games to work smooth and look great.

I was getting a lot of latency error messages though like it was saying my connection was bad and to look into some settings.... but didn't see the setting it was talking about.

2p RCR was EPIC to play.

The Odd thing I that I don't get is some online is a view and cheer for that game and another is true 2p play.  But, its not quite clear if you enter a 2 player applicable game in 2p mode to begin with to have the option to have someone jump in or can you be in 1p mode, 2p glove appears and you go back and set for 2p play.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/nintendo_switch_now_supports_digital_game_sharing_but_theres_a_catch

Found this interesting.

I ran into a similar issue with PS Now. It would occasionally drop the connection and that's with around 25mbps.

For anyone who wants the NES controllers...

https://nesc.nintendo.com/nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers (Ships in mid Dec.)

I kinda want them, especially since come to find out, you can't change the button mapping for NES games. This makes some games kind of a pain, (Ex: SMB/SMB3), since your forced to use A/B with the SNES-styled button lay-out instead of B/Y or A/X (hope they add button mapping in an update). This is the reason I didn't like playing SMB on the 3DS VC very much.

Anyway, I really wish you could just buy 1 controller for half the price, but at this point, I'd say just go buy on of those 8bitdo NES/SNES-style controllers controllers instead. They act like a pro controller and can be use with other games, which the NES controllers can not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of the NES games I hope they continue to add more games that aren't on the NES Classic Edition. If it's mostly just ones on there for a majority of the year, then why would I not just boot up my NES: CE and play with an actual NES controller? This would make the NES games more of a value to me, especially if they added EarthBound Beginnings (didn't get it on Wii U). OMG PLZ, Nintendo! >_<

Edited by alienboyva
14 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I did this during E3 week, it was weak then, it is still now even with same time game pausing when primary console is playing.

What's not told in that or back when I did this that your save are not brought along so you have the digital games but would have to start from scratch because there was and still no way now to back-up saves on a external device.

Tho, with the cloud save that could be remedied to DL back the saves that are back up on cloud, pending the console has the space to hold that save data. That I would like to try out and might be worth while.

So, in reading some fine print, if you want to PO those NES controllers.... they charge you up front, not when they actually ship, which is +/-3 months from now ( December sometime).  Never heard of charging you at POS for a PO, most POs don't charge you till they actually ship/become available.  I'm not talking about dropping more money down randomly at a GS to payout a PO item.

I disagree that consolidating multiple systems into one app would necessarily be better. If they put all the systems in a single app, then that one app would likely be cluttered, and also really bloated. With different apps per system, that would at least give one the choice of which specific library of games they'd like to have actually downloaded and use up memory. I don't mind the idea of having a separate app for NES, SNES, etc. because I could just look at them like the Virtual Console folders I personally made for myself on the 3DS or Wii U.