Nintendo Switch Online Thread

EH_STEVE

2 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

What a very Nintendo rip-off those NES controllers are. $60 and they have no functionality outside of the NSO-NES games.

Do we have any confirmation for whether all accounts on a family plan must be on the same Switch console? Because otherwise we could pool together and save big time.

Don't have answer to your question but I think we really should of seen that $60 controller (which depending how you see it, it is a rip-off) would only be usable with NES game on NSO, that is a shame but this is Nintendo thing to do like GC controllers on Wii U only working with Smash Wii U. But if the GC controllers work with most Switch games, I can't see with a few updates or hack that they should work beyond Nintendo is saying.

As for the price, these controllers have no rumble or motion control, that is for sure but they are wireless, at most each controller should be $30 so the math checks out there. But regardless how you look at, yeah those hard pill to swallow with this news and what the paid online is offering so far.

Since the FAQ has updated again, you may be able to find your answer here: https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/switch/online-service/faq/   from the sounds of things (which as been confusing from announcement family pass and why I couldn't answer definitively what's up with this) they have to be on the same console system.

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

That's a neat little display.  I don't think I've ever seen one of those in my area, though it depends on how recent it is since the last time I've been in a Best Buy was back in early March.

March?

You don't have a Best Buy near you or there isn't much reason to go to BB outside of video games?

@alienboyva Good to see that the displays at BB in the states look no different than the ones up here in Canada.

2 hours ago, Kezay said:

That's a neat little display.  I don't think I've ever seen one of those in my area, though it depends on how recent it is since the last time I've been in a Best Buy was back in early March.

Yeah, it's pretty neat. I really like the light-up Nintendo logo at the top. Not sure how long these displays have been there at BB, but I know the're not that recent,.

YVv00Nj.png?1

Edited by alienboyva

The FAQ doesn't seem super clear about it as far as I can tell, but speaking from personal experience, yes, you can join a family group belonging to a Nintendo Account that isn't tied to your own console. I'm currently in a friend's group right now for the sake of saving some money. I'm curious to see if there's any catch to this once the service goes live, but right now everything seems good so far.

15 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Yeah, it's pretty neat. I really like the light up Nintendo logo at the top. Not sure how low these displays have been there at BB, but I know the're not that recent,.

YVv00Nj.png?1

I take it back, ours isn't fancy with the Nintendo logo lighting up.

Same display looking display at least the one I know is attached to the wall, it more sort of looks like the displays they used for amiibo, minus the light and plastic cover.

@Chrom Curious how that works out as you said it seems to be fine for now. I really would like to know if this works between Canada and US with the different current rate. Up here in Canada it $44.99. So would that mean it is better to do the family membership from Canada and add ppl from there instead of having someone buy it from the US?

I'm afraid I don't know if joining a family group would work any differently between members of different regions. I just asked the group owner directly if they could invite me, and after they accepted they asked for my email. I clicked the link in the automated message and I instantly joined the group and could see who else was in it on the Nintendo Account website. You don't do any of this on the Switch itself, just on another device. When it came to payment this was something we did privately, I personally settled on paying the owner a fraction of the price for a year to be a part of the group.

Hmmm, okay from the sound of things if for now you're part of the group, you should should have online membership.

That means in theory as of right now the same should apply for me if I were to pay for family membership...hmmm. I think it is better that I pay instead of entering a membership paid in US currency because I would have to pay more my share for the year.

Okay, thanks Chrom. Gonna see what I can do with that information.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

You don't have a Best Buy near you or there isn't much reason to go to BB outside of video games?

@alienboyva Good to see that the displays at BB in the states look no different than the ones up here in Canada.

Haven't had a reason to go and when I did go earlier this year it wasn't even for me or even an electronic device, it was for a Keurig storage drawer for my aunt which Best Buy didn't carry the specific type so I actually left there empty handed. XD

28 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

For $20 I guess I will be on this day 1..... but I still feel like it is completely underwhelming to pay $20/yr for essentially a game rental service if its even actually that.  I mean, nearly every game mentioned has had FREE online for over a year.  To put those games behind a paywall no seems kind of dirty.

You can pretty much thank Microsoft for that. I agree, it is kinda shitty that we have to pay to play games online on consoles (minus F2P games), but I don't blame Nintendo for charging for online, since MS and Sony are both doing it and making some decent money off of it. At least it's still free to play online on PC (minus games like WoW).

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm thinking that they allowed for the free online to get people to buy the Switch. Be beta testers. I still don't like it. But it is what it is.

It could be that because when the online was supposed to come out a year ago, the online was trial up to summer last year with the release of Splatoon 2 and Nintendo Online App.

But I feel since this delay had it stages since fall of last year, it wasn't more that they were testing but wait to announce Smash Ultimate this past March so when they said online is coming in September ppl suspected that Ultimate would be September as well. Because you only delay for two reasons to improve on something or waiting for the right timing to release with something incase the initial showing isn't strong enough to hold it is own.

When I look at how the news was shared between the delay from last year fall till now. Not much has change beside the price given and the classic title, other than that no word how online play latency wise or etc will be. That does not bode well if you delayed for the sake of it to be overlooked by big title to take the brunt of any backlash. Clever, if true.

I'm not the only one thinking this, most are think with the state of the paid online and where we are at with it now, is it no surprised most come to this sad conclusion if true.

28 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

It could be that because when the online was supposed to come out a year ago, the online was trial up to summer last year with the release of Splatoon 2 and Nintendo Online App.

But I feel since this delay had it stages since fall of last year, it wasn't more that they were testing but wait to announce Smash Ultimate this past March so when they said online is coming in September ppl suspected that Ultimate would be September as well. Because you only delay for two reasons to improve on something or waiting for the right timing to release with something incase the initial showing isn't strong enough to hold it is own.

When I look at how the news was shared between the delay from last year fall till now. Not much has change beside the price given and the classic title, other than that no word how online play latency wise or etc will be. That does not bode well if you delayed for the sake of it to be overlooked by big title to take the brunt of any backlash. Clever, if true.

I'm not the only one thinking this, most are think with the state of the paid online and where we are at with it now, is it no surprised most come to this sad conclusion if true.

I agree with you on that. It's not a good thing when they don't offer very much past what they've already mentioned.

1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

You can pretty much thank Microsoft for that. I agree, it is kinda shitty that we have to pay to play games online on consoles (minus F2P games), but I don't blame Nintendo for charging for online, since MS and Sony are both doing it and making some decent money off of it. At least it's still free to play online on PC (minus games like WoW).

Word. I'm no fan of it. It's why I've avoided renewing PS Plus. It's not worth $60 a year to me.

1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

It's not the paying for online, it's the fact that the online won't be any better now that you pay for it.  You are paying for the game rentals, not improved connections.

34 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

It's not the paying for online, it's the fact that the online won't be any better now that you pay for it.  You are paying for the game rentals, not improved connections.

I agree but honestly where the proof in that there won't be any improvement. I'm not trying to defend them and all but there's a chance the connection could better and there's no proof in that either. So it will either be better or the same, it's a toss up.

Even, if it is not right away and it should be, I'd like to hope the money we're paying for isn't just for NES Classic and the allowance to purchase NES controllers, that it goes to making a better infrastructure with the connections.

More and more this delay seem like it was for naught and were waiting on Smash Ultimate to take the brunt of any backlash they didn't prepare this paid service should be. Again, this doesn't excuse them but outside of those who play regularly online are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Money gets charged from my account for the Xbox Live service my little brother and I have used, and I'm fine with paying $60 for that service because Microsoft offers all the features that I would expect from an online service in 2018. Nintendo has been offering their far less featured online experience for free for over a decade and now has decided to charge for it without making any improvements. They've actually gone backwards with the Switch as there is no social aspect on the actual system beyond sending and accepting friend requests. The Wii U and 3DS had Miiverse as a social platform accessible directly from those systems before its retirement. The Wii allowed friends to send messages to each other on the actual console itself. It's crazy to me too, to think that a 2006 Nintendo DS game, around first wave Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection titles, offered lobby voice chat within the game itself with the press of a button as well as a text message option within those same friend lobbies. Why is the Switch under featured compared to previous Nintendo systems moving into a paid service?

Then there's the fact that data miners have shown an indication of SNES support on NSO. How do you screw system owners that were willing to pay for an online experience with no improvements at the launch of NSO service? Withhold the better library of games.

8 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

I got the subscription for $17.99 through Best Buy.  I had a 10% off coupon offer through them since my birthday was on the 8th.  I plan on trying for the NES Controllers on Tuesday.  Anyone know where you can actually get those and at what time they are going up? I don't want to miss out on those.

I kinda want to get the NES controllers, but $60 (plus NOS sub) is a bit much, especially when they can only be used for NES games. Now if you could also use them for games like LUMINES REMASTERD, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mega Man Classic Collection, etc., I might consider it.

AS for where you can get them. I'd expect more info here come Tues... https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/special-offers/

..and them to be sold on NOA's online store. https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/

I can help but wonder how many of these will hit ebay immediately after they go up? 😏

Edited by alienboyva