Nintendo Direct 09.13.2018 - 3:00PM PT - 6:00PM ET

EH_STEVE

@purple_beard Those wireless NES controllers are a rip-off. You would be paying up to $80 to own them as they are behind the subscription pay wall. For $80, a Nintendo fan can own the SNES Classic with a 21 game collection and two controllers. I don't know how exactly online will lift up their selection for the service. I don't recall seeing online play in action, and I really cannot think of many NES titles that would really benefit from online unless they added multiplayer content to some of these games. I thought I saw Metroid as an upcoming game for their service and I have no idea how that's going to work unless new content is added. Online leader boards would be very low effort, and I unfortunately could see Nintendo doing that bare minimum. Anyways, the NES controllers rub me the wrong way based on other offers. I don't like that they're marking everything up tied to the Switch. At most, those controllers should be $40 for everyone and online subscribers get a discount on that price. If they wanted money like that, they should've had Super Mario Maker Deluxe or a sequel ready to go later this month. 

Edited by IU
  • Chrom featured this topic

I kinda like the NES controllers.  Wireless over ridicuosly short cords any day.  Too much money? Higher than Id like, yes. But itd have to be one of the special deals that couldn't be mentioned for the direct portion of online.

Direct wise, it wasnt detailed enough on anything to make me care on most things shown.  Lots of cool games were shown....

Luigis Mansion:  first game sold off on gcn to get Super Monkey Ball.  Not compelled to buy again.

Kirby Epic Yarn:  fun game but not buying again.

NSMBU-  I would like my own copy of the game finally...

Online- 20 bucks isnt much, but you sure didnt sell me on paying for it over being free.  You dont really detail the Splatoon stuff, you dont mention any new MK8 dlc to intice for getting it, or any online specific games like Mario Maker or the NES online games.

Yoshi Crafted World- looks better, but not sold on the main gimmick of reversing the stages.

Final Fantasy- glad this is coming but not for me.

5 minutes ago, Art_de_Cat said:

I kinda like the NES controllers.  Wireless over ridiculously short cords any day.  Too much money? Higher than Id like, yes. But itd have to be one of the special deals that couldn't be mentioned for the direct portion of online.

You are considering those a part of the Special Deals for SOL?  Hmmmm  I can't get there on that part.  I think those controllers are about $10 too much but I think the stipulations on how to get them seem contrived.  Granted they aren't JCs so I guess they are keeping them sold only off the Nintendo store to ensure people don't think they are.

Direct wise, it wasnt detailed enough on anything to make me care on most things shown.  Lots of cool games were shown....

Luigis Mansion:  first game sold off on gcn to get Super Monkey Ball.  Not compelled to buy again.

ITS Luigis Mansion 3 / Switch!   The original is coming to 3DS.

Kirby Epic Yarn:  fun game but not buying again.

NSMBU-  I would like my own copy of the game finally...

Online- 20 bucks isnt much, but you sure didnt sell me on paying for it over being free.  You dont really detail the Splatoon stuff, you dont mention any new MK8 dlc to intice for getting it, or any online specific games like Mario Maker or the NES online games.

Yoshi Crafted World- looks better, but not sold on the main gimmick of reversing the stages.

Final Fantasy- glad this is coming but not for me.

Just a few comments.

I'm also not too keen on the criticism of Yoshi's Crafted World having reversing the stage being its main gimmick.  That's kind of really downplaying the exploration aspect they're pushing with the fact that various parts of the environment can be interacted with and moved around to show the environment from different angles that present even more secrets and areas to explore because of the change in perspective.

To make this easy for me to comment on what is in the Direct, I'll be using Eliwood8's quoted Nintendo Direct PR article.

New Games in the Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion Series Coming to Nintendo Switch

Isabelle from the Animal Crossing Series will Also be a Playable Fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

REDMOND, Wash., Sept. 13, 2018 – In a new Nintendo Direct video presentation, Nintendo revealed that new games in two major Nintendo series are currently in development for the Nintendo Switch system. Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch (working title), a new main game in the Animal Crossing series, and Luigi’s Mansion 3 (working title), will both come exclusively to Nintendo Switch in 2019. The video presentation also debuted a new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Nintendo Switch hardware and software bundle.

The Nintendo Direct revealed a diverse lineup of games headed to Nintendo Switch, including a massive collection of classic FINAL FANTASY games, an HD remake of the beloved Katamari Damacy game and adaptations of some best-selling card and board games like Carcassonne and Pandemic. If that’s not already enough, the Nintendo Direct also unveiled new details for Nintendo Switch Online, highlighted a solid selection of Nintendo 3DS games and revealed more details about previously announced Nintendo Switch games like Yoshi’s Crafted World, DAEMON X MACHINA and Mega Man 11.

“The announcements for Nintendo Switch keep coming,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “With the additions of new games in the Animal Crossing and Luigi’s Mansion series, as well as a surge of new games from our development partners, there really is something for everyone in the ever-growing Nintendo Switch library.”

To view the Nintendo Direct video in its entirety, visit https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct. Some of the highlights revealed in the video include:

Nintendo Switch

• Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch (working title): A new mainline game in the Animal Crossing series – the first since Animal Crossing: New Leaf debuted on Nintendo 3DS in 2013 – is slated for a 2019 release exclusively on Nintendo Switch. I'm excited for those who are getting this title and who knows, I might get the title but time will tell

• Isabelle Joins the Fight!: Taking a break from assisting mayors and just being an all-around lovely pup, Isabelle from the Animal Crossing series is joining the roster as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. She's not echo guys, glad she made it in.

• Luigi’s Mansion 3 (working title): The next installment in the spooky series is currently in production and launching exclusively for Nintendo Switch in 2019. I'm getting the original on the 3DS, I'm most likely getting this too.

• Nintendo Switch Online: With Nintendo Switch Online, members gain access to online play and Save Data Cloud backup in compatible games, the NES – Nintendo Switch Online collection of classic games with added online play, special offers and a smartphone app with features to make online gaming sessions more fun and engaging for supported games. In addition to Splatoon 2, more online games will support voice chat through the app, including Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Mario Tennis Aces. Nintendo Switch owners won’t automatically become members when the service launches on Sept. 18, so they will need to purchase an individual or family membership in order to continue enjoying their online play in compatible games. For pricing information, and to pre-order a 3- or 12-month individual membership from select retailers so you can be ready to go once the service launches, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/pricing. A free seven-day trial will also be available. At launch, 20 NES games, including Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda, and the newly announced Ice Hockey and Pro Wrestling (available for the first time since its 1987 release) will be available to play, with more games added regularly. Weakest part of the direct not because not much new was shown but because in typical Nintendo fashion they glossed over the finer points. I didn't expect them to go over the cloud save weakness but at least say some thing more than. 'this is how cloud save works'.

• Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers: Playing NES – Nintendo Switch Online will feel even more authentic by using the new wireless Nintendo Entertainment System Controller, available for purchase exclusively for Nintendo Switch owners with a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership in the U.S. and Canada. This re-creation of the original, iconic NES controller comes in a pack of two for $59.99 and can be charged by attaching to a docked Nintendo Switch system. NES controllers will be available for pre-order on Sept. 18. For more details, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/special-offers. Cool but not for me, like most are saying getting this is like getting the NES Classic for the same price with most of the games from the NES service on NSO.

• New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: Up to four players can enjoy this revamped version of the classic Wii U launch game when it comes to Nintendo Switch on Jan. 11. Mario, Luigi and Toad return as playable characters, and are joined by Nabbit and Toadette, who can also turn into Peachette by getting a Super Crown, offering new ways for beginners to play together with friends and family. New Super Luigi U, the first platformer with Luigi in a starring role, will also be included in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe at no extra charge. Between both games, there are a whopping 164 courses to play. Mamma mia! NO! I can't even say I'm happy for those who want this but there it is for those want to play this game.

• Yoshi’s Crafted World: Play as an adorable Yoshi traveling through a world crafted from household items like boxes and paper cups in this new Nintendo Switch platforming adventure. After traveling through a perfectly constructed stage, players can start at the goal and journey back to the start on the “flip side,” the backside of the course, to discover secrets. Yoshi’s Crafted World launches on Nintendo Switch in spring 2019. Glad there's a release date for this but I wonder which title is coming out first, this or Fire Emblen: Three house? They are both coming out Spring 2019 and both of these games before their reveals this year were supposed to come out this year. Why were both of these titles pushed into Spring 2019 specifically?

• Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Set: This upcoming Nintendo Switch bundle features the Nintendo Switch system – complete with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate branded Joy-Con controllers and dock – and a download code for the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game, all at a suggested retail price of $359.99. The Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Set launches on Nov. 2. (The download code for the game won’t be active until the game launches on Dec. 7.) Cool and I'm glad Nintendo mentioned the game won't be playable til Dec 7th. It would be shame if someone thought you can play the game Nov .2

• FINAL FANTASY Extravaganza!: High-definition versions of some of the most beloved FINAL FANTASY games of all time are coming to Nintendo Switch. This includes FINAL FANTASY VII, IX and X / X-2 HD Remaster, as well as the recently released FINAL FANTASY XII: THE ZODIAC AGE. This is the first time any of these FINAL FANTASY games has been released on a Nintendo system. Starting today, FINAL FANTASY XV Pocket Edition HD will be available to download in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch. In addition, three other games in the FINAL FANTASY universe will launch on Nintendo Switch in the near future: The leveled-up edition of WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY MAXIMA launches Nov. 6, Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! launches this winter and Nintendo GameCube co-op game FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition with online multiplayer and no need for a link cable comes to Nintendo Switch in 2019. Kupo! Wawaweewa! I'm getting all these titles except the Mystery Dungeon one.

• TOWN (working title): GAME FREAK, the developer of the Pokémon series, has created a new RPG for Nintendo Switch. In TOWN, players must take up arms against invading monsters, all within the walls of a single village. TOWN launches for Nintendo Switch in 2019. Almost looks Ni No Kuni, I'm on board.

• Super Mario Party: In the newly revealed Sound Stage mode, up to four players can each shake a Joy-Con in rhythm-based gameplay, while the River Survival mode offers the series’ first four-player co-op. Plus, there’s 80 new mini-games, a single-player Challenge Road, the mini-game gauntlet Online Mariothon and much more. Super Mario Party launches for Nintendo Switch on Oct. 5 and is available for pre-purchase on Nintendo eShop and the game’s website beginning today. Looks like a return to the Mario Party I love but I don't want to risk getting it and it isn't my cup tea. Between a rock and hard place with this one.

• Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!: During the adventure, players will be able to overcome obstacles with their partner Pokémon (either Pikachu or Eevee) using Secret Techniques. These are skills that only partner Pokémon can use, like chopping down trees, traveling across water or soaring in the sky. Both games launch exclusively for Nintendo Switch on Nov. 16. A bundle that includes a Pikachu and Eevee themed Nintendo Switch system and Joy-Con, a Pokémon: Let’s Go! game and the Poké Ball Plus controller will also be available on the same day.  What is there to say, I'm getting this and thanks for the update.

• Katamari Damacy REROLL: “Na naaaaah na na na naaah na na naaaaah na na na na na naaaaaaaaah.” Fans of the groundbreaking Katamari Damacy game can hum its theme song at a moment’s notice. But new fans will be joining the chorus when an HD remaster of the classic game comes to Nintendo Switch, complete with HD Rumble, gyro control and multiplayer support with the Joy-Con controllers. Katamari Damacy REROLL launches in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch on Nov. 30, with the physical packaged version coming winter 2018. Oh so there's a date for this digital, did anyone catch this? No interest in this game but glad we're getting this on Switch.

• Asmodee Digital: With a literal Tabletop mode, tabletop gaming is a perfect fit for Nintendo Switch. To prove it, Asmodee Digital is bringing full adaptations of best-selling card and board games like Carcassonne, The Lord the Rings: Living Card Game, Pandemic, Munchkin and Catan to Nintendo Switch, starting this December. No interest but glad it is coming to Switch....?
  •  
  • DAEMON X MACHINA: In this stylish action game first revealed at E3, the world and its inhabitants are on the brink of extinction. As a mercenary, players will pilot a powered suit called an Arsenal and face runaway AI. Defeat enemies and acquire parts that can be equipped on the fly or brought back to base to craft new armaments. Use additional tactics by changing between projectile and melee attacks or take the fight on foot to gain an advantage in battle. DAEMON X MACHINA launches for Nintendo Switch in 2019.  More I see this game the more I might get it.

• Capcom Beat ’Em Up Bundle: Some of Capcom’s most classic arcade games like Final Fight, Captain Commando and Knights of the Round are coming to Nintendo Switch with up to four-player local or online play. This also includes games that have never launched on home consoles before like Armored Warriors and Battle Circuit. The digital version of this bundle launches in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch this winter. Wait, I thought his game is coming out digitally on the eShop September 18th?!?

• Cities: Skylines: The acclaimed city-building game is available today in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, which means players can manage resources, improve quality of life, energize businesses and stimulate growth anytime or anywhere. Sure why not put this on the Switch

• Sid Meier’s Civilization VI: When the acclaimed strategy game comes to Nintendo Switch on Nov. 16, it will do so with an exclusive four-player wireless LAN multiplayer mode.  I heard this is a big get for consoles in general because this series never release on one so this is really good snag for Switch

• Mega Man 11: The Blue Bomber is back! Mega Man 11 rocks on Nintendo Switch on Oct. 2, with a free demo already available in Nintendo eShop. In addition, players will be able to unlock helpful in-game items for use in the full game by tapping the existing Mega Man amiibo figure, or a new Mega Man amiibo figure, which is included exclusively in the Mega Man 11 – amiibo Edition. Sucks, the Mega Man amibo only gives you E-Tanks and I forget the other thing it gives you, if I forgot it must be lackluster as well. Game should be awesome.

• Splatoon 2 Version 4 Update: Starting tonight, the first set of weapons in the Kensa Collection is coming to Splatoon 2 as part of the new Version 4.0 update. These familiar weapons are painted with stylish monotone designs. In addition, significant new Splatfest changes are coming as part of this update. In early October, Version 4.1 will bring a new stage, new songs and more Kensa Collection weapon sets complete with new sub and special weapons. Check out the Squid Research Lab Tumblr for more details. Looking forward for the early October update for more sub weapons to be added.

• Mario Tennis Aces Version 2.0 Update: After downloading a free update to the action-packed sports game on Sept. 19, players will have access to a new online co-op mode that lets players participate in time-limited missions with other players. Players who complete objectives while these missions are active will receive special outfits, characters with alternate color schemes and more. Also, be on the lookout for new upcoming playable characters like Birdo, Shy Guy, Koopa Paratroopa and Petey Piranha. Naked characters get clothes, hurrah. But serious the next update looks cool with the 4 player co-op thing.

• Diablo III: Eternal Collection: The Nintendo Switch version of this classic action-RPG will send players on a journey through Sanctuary, where they’ll vanquish the armies of Hell and plunder powerful loot as one of the seven playable classes. Up to four players can adventure together via local or online multiplayer. The Nintendo Switch version of the game features the exclusive Legend of Ganondorf cosmetic armor set, compatibility with all amiibo figures and more. Diablo III: Eternal Collection launches Nov. 2. Played the first one years ago but fell off and have no interest but glad its coming on Switch.

• Starlink: Battle for Atlas: Do a barrel roll and defeat Wolf’s team in Star Fox missions, exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version of the game. Starlink: Battle for Atlas launches for Nintendo Switch on Oct. 16. Wolf sells himself and now more ppl will but this game more than the other platforms, if they have Switch.

• Two RPGs on the Way!: Fans who love playing role-playing games anytime and anywhere are in luck! The World Ends with You: Final Remix from SQUARE ENIX launches Oct. 12 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country – which is available for pre-purchase on Nintendo eShop starting today – comes to Nintendo Switch on Sept. 21 in stores and Nintendo eShop, or on Sept. 14 for owners of the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Expansion Pass. Never played TWENY so I'm getting that when it launches. I also cannot wait to get the retail version of XC2: Torna Golden Country. Glad I can dive into this without playing the main game first. Looking forward to that.

• Warframe: New fans can join more than 38 million players for free-to-start co-op space-ninja action when Warframe launches for Nintendo Switch on Nov. 20. I hope this can find a decent audience on the Switch.

• NBA 2K19: The highest-rated basketball simulation franchise returns to Nintendo Switch with NBA 2K19, now available. It's a good sign when year 2 of console see the return of big 3rd party. You can't say that for a lot of 3rd either not here now or was not present in the first year.

• NBA 2K Playgrounds 2: Get ready to jam in the sequel to the smash-hit NBA arcade game, coming to Nintendo Switch this fall. I hope this improves on the first entry on the Switch. It went thru some rough patch during its launch.
  • Just Dance 2019: With Just Dance 2019 on Nintendo Switch, there’s no excuse for players to not get down to Camila Cabello, Bruno Mars and Cardi B. at home, in the middle of the park or even at the dentist’s office! Just Dance 2019 launches on Oct. 23. Will forever launch on Nintendo consoles, the day we don't see that the video game industry will die.

• EA SPORTS FIFA 19: EA SPORTS FIFA 19 is fast approaching, and players can pre-purchase now so they won’t drop the ball when it launches for Nintendo Switch on Sept. 28. Again we're lucky to see return to Nintendo console the 2nd year on the market.

• Team Sonic Racing: Gotta go FAST! Like, really fast. Team Sonic Racing launches for Nintendo Switch this winter. I need more details but since its reveal not much as shown me why I would want this so far.

• LEGO DC Super-Villains: Why so serious? Play as The Joker, Harley, Lex Luthor and the rest of the best of the worst in the new LEGO DC Super-Villains game, launching for Nintendo Switch on Oct. 16. This game seems similar to Batman 3 so what's going on here?!?

Nintendo 3DS

• Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn: The hit Wii game Kirby’s Epic Yarn is warping to Nintendo 3DS. Every stage in the original Wii version is stitched in, but this Nintendo 3DS version has some new features, like the ability to craft bigger yarn balls, summon bead-collecting wind and play two new modes featuring familiar faces King Dedede and Meta Knight. Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn is scheduled to launch for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems in 2019. Never played it on Wii, I will get it on 3DS.

• Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey: One of the most acclaimed games in the Mario & Luigi RPG series is getting a remake on Nintendo 3DS. In addition to the game’s revamped graphics and refined gameplay, a new side story follows Bowser Jr. as he gathers an army, creates formations, supports his allies with an arsenal of moves and generally causes chaos (in the best way possible). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey will prove two adventures are better than one on Jan. 11. Definitely copping this.

• Luigi’s Mansion: Two players who each own the game can team up to explore and capture ghosts in Luigi’s Mansion, a Nintendo 3DS remake of the classic Nintendo GameCube launch game. This new version of the game also features amiibo support. Tapping one of the four compatible amiibo will reveal where Boos are hiding and heal Luigi when he talks to Toad, among other bonuses. Luigi’s Mansion will haunt the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on Oct. 12.  This will be good fodder till Luigi's Mansion. Tho, I can finish this game in day.

• YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS: Whether players throw their allegiance behind the Red Cat Corps or the White Dog Squad, YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS lets players team up with friends locally or online to tackle the most action-packed battles in the series yet. A free “Moon Rabbit Crew” software update on Sept. 27 will add new missions, new areas to explore, new Yo-kai to befriend and new Big Boss Yo-kai. YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS: Red Cat Corps and YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS: White Dog Squad are now available for Nintendo 3DS. Never any of the games past the first one in the series.

8 out of 10, only for the fact of the FF titles and end of the direct.

Edited by DLurkster

I had feeling this would be confusing: https://gonintendo.com/stories/318268-is-kirby-s-extra-epic-yarn-for-new-3ds-systems-only#comments

If you look at the comment to the article it show boxart image and it doesn't show only for New Nintendo 3DS. I want to say we go with that besides the confusing messaging.

Tho, the thing about the boxart is that why do some Wii games require the New 3DS and some don't?

Pretty much throughout the Direct, I was just thinking "this is cool", and that's about it. Interested in Katamari's remastered port and its "Virtual ON" style controls, which I know it's just the PS2 controls in many ways, but still. But this got me from a historical standpoint, post FF6 mainline Final Fantasy games on a Nintendo console after god knows how many years. I know Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings appeared on the DS, but that's more of a spinoff sequel.

If all of Mario Tennis Aces updates from this Direct were handled offline and were not temporary features, I would have gone out to get Mario Tennis Aces this weekend. As is though, their approach to this game has changed my mind about Mario sports games on the Switch. I no longer want to see anymore unless they are less online dependent. Not to mention, they shouldn't be releasing another Mario sports game as bare as Aces at launch. It's shocking to me how ahead Mario Tennis Open on the 3DS is, a 6 year old game, compared to Mario Tennis Aces and the online dependency for features even makes Ultra Smash look better as bare as that game is. Honestly, it would have just been better if a HD remaster of Mario Power Tennis hit the Switch instead.

7 hours ago, IU said:

If all of Mario Tennis Aces updates from this Direct were handled offline and were not temporary features, I would have gone out to get Mario Tennis Aces this weekend. As is though, their approach to this game has changed my mind about Mario sports games on the Switch. I no longer want to see anymore unless they are less online dependent. Not to mention, they shouldn't be releasing another Mario sports game as bare as Aces at launch. It's shocking to me how ahead Mario Tennis Open on the 3DS is, a 6 year old game, compared to Mario Tennis Aces and the online dependency for features even makes Ultra Smash look better as bare as that game is. Honestly, it would have just been better if a HD remaster of Mario Power Tennis hit the Switch instead.

What do you mean if the updates weren't online? I get that this game was bear bones for you at launch but I don't see how you can compare that to other games before and say they were fully features, when developing those games was something they had in mind from the start. The approach to updates for Aces is more like Splatoon. A lot ppl seem to like that approach, what makes it different here?

Is making those comparison fair when Splatoon was always intended be online dependent versus Mario Tennis Aces? That's a little presumptuous, don't you think. I get that maybe these features should of been there from the start but at the same time when these features go hand to hand with how you play online like with tournaments, I don't see this as a bad thing and why I make the comparison to Splatoon.

Edited by DLurkster
11 hours ago, DLurkster said:

What do you mean if the updates weren't online? I get that this game was bear bones for you at launch but I don't see how you can compare that to other games before and say they were fully features, when developing those games was something they had in mind from the start. The approach to updates for Aces is more like Splatoon. A lot ppl seem to like that approach, what makes it different here?

Is making those comparison fair when Splatoon was always intended be online dependent versus Mario Tennis Aces? That's a little presumptuous, don't you think. I get that maybe these features should of been there from the start but at the same time when these features go hand to hand with how you play online like with tournaments, I don't see this as a bad thing and why I make the comparison to Splatoon.

If Mario Tennis Aces was a fully, fleshed out Mario Tennis game, it would be a better game and a potential must have experience on the Switch. Making the game so online dependent that certain modes are only available online prevents Aces from being that Mario Tennis experience. I'm comparing Aces with the rest of the Mario Tennis games because that's what it is. They decided to make it a skeleton of a game and so it falls short of other Mario Tennis titles that they approached differently. I personally don't like the approach of the Splatoon games, in terms of relying on updates to boost their content, and find Aces an even worse offender than those games because a lot of what they are offering for Aces' updates should be in the base game. I know several of the character updates were already in the game and should've been unlocked through playing the single player.

That's the entire problem i have with Aces that they have made modes and characters that would've been in the base game years ago and instead have decided to have them unlocked or accessible through online play. I'm not interested in seeing Splatoon's approach in all multiplayer Nintendo games. I think a Nintendo game should be a full experience upon its release date rather than depending online updates to put meat on the bones. If people are asking for skeleton releases from Nintendo, that's a problem. Would you want Super Smash Brothers Ultimate to be a skeleton release where you get just 8 characters and 15 stages for $60 and the rest comes through online play? That would be terrible and that's exactly how I see Aces next to something like Mario Power Tennis.

4 hours ago, IU said:

If Mario Tennis Aces was a fully, fleshed out Mario Tennis game, it would be a better game and a potential must have experience on the Switch. Making the game so online dependent that certain modes are only available online prevents Aces from being that Mario Tennis experience. I'm comparing Aces with the rest of the Mario Tennis games because that's what it is. They decided to make it a skeleton of a game and so it falls short of other Mario Tennis titles that they approached differently. I personally don't like the approach of the Splatoon games, in terms of relying on updates to boost their content, and find Aces an even worse offender than those games because a lot of what they are offering for Aces' updates should be in the base game. I know several of the character updates were already in the game and should've been unlocked through playing the single player.

That's the entire problem i have with Aces that they have made modes and characters that would've been in the base game years ago and instead have decided to have them unlocked or accessible through online play. I'm not interested in seeing Splatoon's approach in all multiplayer Nintendo games. I think a Nintendo game should be a full experience upon its release date rather than depending online updates to put meat on the bones. If people are asking for skeleton releases from Nintendo, that's a problem. Would you want Super Smash Brothers Ultimate to be a skeleton release where you get just 8 characters and 15 stages for $60 and the rest comes through online play? That would be terrible and that's exactly how I see Aces next to something like Mario Power Tennis.

I get what you're saying but I think you're taking this to extreme with that Smash ultimate example. I'm not sure of the reason why Nintendo going the way as you describe it skeleton releases, I'd have problem if they did it like how Capcom makes you pay for full $60 fighting game and to get the rest of the characters you gotta pay for them. Like I said I get where you are coming but if the only thing you're looking at does not cost any money, why does it matter if you're getting content for free when nowadays ppl charge for that. I get that makes it look like the game is incomplete, again I'm not sure why there's shift with Nintendo with this but I'm not exactly saying I accept the practice of lack of content from the start but as long as you're not being charge for it. I see nothing wrong, tho there is the dangers of this heading down that path of paying but I don't see that happening at all or soon. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

For sure some games, at least to me and Splatoon that makes sense cause other similar genres would charge these updates as DLC for Mario Tennis it is strange but these updates whether not they were ready from the start are coming and they are free. The whole $60 and waiting for free content is valid to express but amounts to nothing when content coming is free in the end.

EDIT: Shit, how could I forget this. With NSO you need to pay to play online multiplayer games. So essentially you're now pay to get these characters. That now is hard to defend but seeing I'm going thru thru with this service despite my complains. We con voice our concerns and hope they listen more than ever with online play having a paywall.

It's one thing to still update your game version and access the eShop is free but for Mario Tennis actually required to play online to get the characters. This isn't issue for Splatoon 2 because after the update, when you boot-up all the new content is already there for you there.

Edited by DLurkster

I know this is a bit late, but the HD Graphics used in the Smash/Switch AC trailer are pretty damn sweet....

Really looking forward to it’s release next year

Though, I wonder when it’s going to be released...? It seems like most of the games except New Leaf were realeased in Fall... so I’m wondering if it’s going to be another Fall release...?

Would be a nice time for one, if they don’t have any other big titles coming out around the same time (like Pokémon 2019, just for an example)

Hm... quite curious on that...

But in the mean time, I’ll be going back to playing New Leaf for now...

A676749B-876E-4F2E-A553-927A0DEF7F33.jpeg

3 hours ago, DLurkster said:

For sure some games, at least to me and Splatoon that makes sense cause other similar genres would charge these updates as DLC for Mario Tennis it is strange but these updates whether not they were ready from the start are coming and they are free. The whole $60 and waiting for free content is valid to express but amounts to nothing when content coming is free in the end.

EDIT: Shit, how could I forget this. With NSO you need to pay to play online multiplayer games. So essentially you're now pay to get these characters. That now is hard to defend but seeing I'm going thru thru with this service despite my complains. We con voice our concerns and hope they listen more than ever with online play having a paywall.

It's one thing to still update your game version and access the eShop is free but for Mario Tennis actually required to play online to get the characters. This isn't issue for Splatoon 2 because after the update, when you boot-up all the new content is already there for you there.

Splatoon 2's updates, while free, are mostly locked for me as I have not played enough online to be at the appropriate level to access certain weapons. Even without the idea of NSO, grinding to those benchmarks costs plenty of time. Honestly, if I could pay $1.99 for a new weapon update to have immediate access whenever I pick up the game. I would pick that instead of having the update be free and have to grind through online matches just to reach a level benchmark. Mario Tennis Aces requires online tournament play to have access to those new character additions, some of those characters can be found in the game's single player, so even with a free online experience I'm still wasting my time.

I played Mario Tennis Aces during that online test tournament Nintendo had before the game's release, and I didn't like the online experience the game offered due to the connection instability. The lag reminded me of Brawl in randoms back in 2008-09...Aces shouldn't have had that much issue. I didn't like that the complete roster was being trickled out via the online tournaments in the first place, so the laggy pre-release online tournament didn't do Aces any favors. I don't think it's really free if I have to put myself through an experience I don't like to get the benefits of an update. Like with Splatoon 2, I would be fine paying for $1.99 for a character with outfits and $4.99 for that co-op mode (if it were permanent) instead of going through the inconvenience of the online experience which Aces didn't really nail in that first impression with the game. If I were to get Mario Tennis Aces now, I would have to pay at least $3.99 for the inconvenience of getting a character I want. The game's model for unlocking content is terrible.

That's another point too. I don't believe I've ever seen Nintendo put up a free update for one of their games onto the eShop, so that a player can update their game without having to go into the online component of that specific title. With Smash Brothers Ultimate being designed to have future DLC, I hope it's not "free" because it likely won't be available on the eShop. If it's not on the eShop, $3.99 at minimum would be required to access the content. If Smash gets paid DLC though, it should be on the eShop so I'm crossing my fingers for that. I'm not too keen on supporting their current NSO service, but I'm fine with investing more into a game like Smash Ultimate especially since it has a substantial amount of offline content.

3 minutes ago, IU said:

Splatoon 2's updates, while free, are mostly locked for me as I have not played enough online to be at the appropriate level to access certain weapons. Even without the idea of NSO, grinding to those benchmarks costs plenty of time. Honestly, if I could pay $1.99 for a new weapon update to have immediate access whenever I pick up the game. I would pick that instead of having the update be free and have to grind through online matches just to reach a level benchmark. Mario Tennis Aces requires online tournament play to have access to those new character additions, some of those characters can be found in the game's single player, so even with a free online experience I'm still wasting my time.

I played Mario Tennis Aces during that online test tournament Nintendo had before the game's release, and I didn't like the online experience the game offered due to the connection instability. The lag reminded me of Brawl in randoms back in 2008-09...Aces shouldn't have had that much issue. I didn't like that the complete roster was being trickled out via the online tournaments in the first place, so the laggy pre-release online tournament didn't do Aces any favors. I don't think it's really free if I have to put myself through an experience I don't like to get the benefits of an update. Like with Splatoon 2, I would be fine paying for $1.99 for a character with outfits and $4.99 for that co-op mode (if it were permanent) instead of going through the inconvenience of the online experience which Aces didn't really nail in that first impression with the game. If I were to get Mario Tennis Aces now, I would have to pay at least $3.99 for the inconvenience of getting a character I want. The game's model for unlocking content is terrible.

That's another point too. I don't believe I've ever seen Nintendo put up a free update for one of their games onto the eShop, so that a player can update their game without having to go into the online component of that specific title. With Smash Brothers Ultimate being designed to have future DLC, I hope it's not "free" because it likely won't be available on the eShop. If it's not on the eShop, $3.99 at minimum would be required to access the content. If Smash gets paid DLC though, it should be on the eShop so I'm crossing my fingers for that. I'm not too keen on supporting their current NSO service, but I'm fine with investing more into a game like Smash Ultimate especially since it has a substantial amount of offline content.

Ah, now I'm understanding the frustration, it's not so much the model of updates but your experience so far with the free online and the connection.

You know what I think over the year and the subpar online connection with Nintendo and free online I just glazed over during the free online for the Switch is par for the course. We won't know till Tuesday if the connection is any better and that's gamble most don't want to pay and find out nothing as has change on top of what we perceive has a $20 value (that all depends on the individual and experience with paid online)

I know this won't mean much and you may not have followed this since the Mario Tennis Aces demo but the game at launch had it's lag and when we receive 2nd update to the game, that's where I can say the match were hardly laggy. If I had to label from Brawl to Wii U, it would be smidge above Wii U's. Which is not saying much when there was the occasional lag in that game. Also, factor that I play Mario Tennis Aces online once in a while but I can say where it stands with lag and other Nintendo. Again we have no clue once we pay how that will better and I don't blame you.

As for the updates through online, I have heard ppl complain about the leveling system on Splatoon to be wack but I look at that as vocal minority because if you bought this game just play once in a while, I can see this complaint but if you played this like someone playing Fortnite or playing COD (of course I'm aware weapons are not locked behind levels) one wouldn't see that a problem. No wonder I don't and it is for you with the updates and just online connection.

With that all said, there's no need to go on with this. I'll leave it at that.

Tho, I know ppl say their connection is not the problem but have you every questioned it can be you? Just a thought.

FYI the DLC for Smash can be bought in game or on the eShop and at least for 3DS game, you can update the games from the eShop as well. Have not seen that so far on the Switch with online pay behind a paywall, it wouldn't hurt for games like Mario Tennis aces to put updates on the eShop.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:59 PM, DLurkster said:

I had feeling this would be confusing: https://gonintendo.com/stories/318268-is-kirby-s-extra-epic-yarn-for-new-3ds-systems-only#comments

If you look at the comment to the article it show boxart image and it doesn't show only for New Nintendo 3DS. I want to say we go with that besides the confusing messaging.

Tho, the thing about the boxart is that why do some Wii games require the New 3DS and some don't?

I got the feeling whoever did the box art simply lapsed on the matter, given how New 3DS only games is a rarity. Even on Nintendo's game page, it lists that it's New 3DS only.