Nintendo Direct 09.13.2018 - 3:00PM PT - 6:00PM ET

EH_STEVE

I honestly thought that the Luigi's Mansion 3 teaser was for a Dark Moon HD port to the Switch. The two just looked very similar in terms of ghost design. I'm hoping that there will be more individualized ghosts around for the third installment as Dark Moon was severely lacking in that personality aspect compared to the original.

If 2019 goes the way that some fans are expecting, Yoshi, FE, LM3, AC, Pokemon, Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 could all be hitting. Unless you're really into Mario and Zelda, I would say 2019 could blow 2017's line-up out of the water. That's if all of that holds. Town could be worth a shot as a new GF RPG. It's good to see them working on more than the next Pokemon for the Switch.

After getting burned by Tropical Freeze and Funky Mode, the addition of Nabbit in NSMB Deluxe was a turn off. Nintendo did almost get me on board with Toadette and the crown power-up to change into Peachette. I don't know...in spite of not liking the idea of this DLX title, I have yet to play SLU. This could end up in my library if it's $50.

The best thing about the NSO news was the presentation of it through Mario and co. I'm not into it, and nothing they shared today has changed my opinion. Offering $60 wireless NES controllers to enhance what players will be paying $20 for comes across as a joke. They're definitely out to sucker some fans on that one. For $10 less, the NES Classic is an option.

Isabelle coming to Smash Ultimate was an expectation I had. It's cool that they went the route of a brand new character, and I was thinking Tom Nook would be her echo until he began to speak more towards the tease of a new Animal Crossing for the Switch. I guess now the next Smash Direct could be set up a lot like the last one and I'm really looking forward to that.

Does anyone know if Torna's physical release comes with a game card of that prequel experience? I don't want to have to download that to my Switch. I am interested in picking up Torna later this month if it is on a physical card as I think it'll have QOL changes that'll make it a bit more engrossing than Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Probably the most exciting news to me from this Direct were all of the Final Fantasy experiences heading to the Switch. I'm interested in getting one or two of those games at least for my system once they're available.

That enhanced Kirby's Epic Yarn experience for the 3DS is also very tempting. The original game is pretty good.

Edited by IU

I mean, FF13 does deserve a lot of the flack it gets. It's more of a guilty pleasure, though.

FF8's flack is the one that confuses me. I can get that the drawing system isn't entirely thought out and an RPG punishing you for leveling up is strange, but I never thought it was a terrible game? Flawed for sure--like the story makes a U turn to literally nowhere not far into disc 3--but I find the game enjoyable enough.

2 hours ago, IU said:

Does anyone know if Torna's physical release comes with a game card of that prequel experience? I don't want to have to download that to my Switch. I am interested in picking up Torna later this month if it is on a physical card as I think it'll have QOL changes that'll make it a bit more engrossing than Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Torna physical release will have a game card, not a download code, for the game. That's the version I plan on getting.

3 hours ago, Arvis said:

I mean, FF13 does deserve a lot of the flack it gets. It's more of a guilty pleasure, though.

FF8's flack is the one that confuses me. I can get that the drawing system isn't entirely thought out and an RPG punishing you for leveling up is strange, but I never thought it was a terrible game? Flawed for sure--like the story makes a U turn to literally nowhere not far into disc 3--but I find the game enjoyable enough.

There are some people who don't like the whole gun-blade thing,

Squall seems kind of... flat (he looks cool, but looks bored. Considering the other games, the main protagonists at least... convey emotions. Heck, Cloud has his baggage of drama. Squall sounds like he doesn't want to be anywhere. There's tattoo on his face boy, whatever his name is. Straight up ANNOYING. Seifer's just goaded into becoming evil because he feels inferior to Squall. THERE WAS THAT CARD GAME. Who puts card games into RPGs?! *sees Re:Chain of Memories* That game is a bit decent. How are you supposed to get involved when you just dislike the characters alone?  

And... maybe it's also trying to retread what Final Fantasy VII did, and they tried to make it better, but it didn't work out in the end. That's why they went back to mostly fantasy-like stuff like before. Realism in a fantasy game might not pan out right. It worked in VII because it was a different style than before, but VIII was maybe going too deep.  

Just... one of Squall's trademark catchphrases is... WHATEVER. Saving the world should be taking seriously, not like a chore! And as a guy who mostly likes stories, what you say about the story might turn me away. I like character and story elements maybe the most out of a game, unless it's just fun multiplayer. Simple or complex. 

13 hours ago, IU said:

I honestly thought that the Luigi's Mansion 3 teaser was for a Dark Moon HD port to the Switch. The two just looked very similar in terms of ghost design. I'm hoping that there will be more individualized ghosts around for the third installment as Dark Moon was severely lacking in that personality aspect compared to the original.

I would like to see the Luigi's Mansion idea get expanded.

If 2019 goes the way that some fans are expecting, Yoshi, FE, LM3, AC, Pokemon, Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 could all be hitting. Unless you're really into Mario and Zelda, I would say 2019 could blow 2017's line-up out of the water. That's if all of that holds. Town could be worth a shot as a new GF RPG. It's good to see them working on more than the next Pokemon for the Switch.

In agreement there and we also have had nothing on Super Mario Maker 2, Pikmin 4, and probably one other franchise game I am forgetting.

After getting burned by Tropical Freeze and Funky Mode, the addition of Nabbit in NSMB Deluxe was a turn off. Nintendo did almost get me on board with Toadette and the crown power-up to change into Peachette. I don't know...in spite of not liking the idea of this DLX title, I have yet to play SLU. This could end up in my library if it's $50.

NSMBU/SLU is a good game set to get.  They really went back and got a interactive over world map as involved and as cool as SMW finally.  A lot of the stages are super cool.  The Mario side is full levels, the Luigi side is set up to be quick speed run levels following the same map screen progressions.  Squirrel Mario is a cool power up for sure.

The best thing about the NSO news was the presentation of it through Mario and co. I'm not into it, and nothing they shared today has changed my opinion. Offering $60 wireless NES controllers to enhance what players will be paying $20 for comes across as a joke. They're definitely out to sucker some fans on that one. For $10 less, the NES Classic is an option.

I'm with you on a lot of that but in comparison the NESMini isn't online for anything so you would miss out on any of the online enhancements.  That said, aside from a few games like Dr. Mario and maybe a few others for multiplayer....   There isn't much out there for online to most NES games unless they do some expansion of how the games play/get played.  I am not sure if I'd get those NES controllers.  A 2pk for $60 isn't necessarily a bad deal but it seems awfully expensive if they aren't true JCs.  I wonder if they will end up offering any of the 4p NES games like NES Play Action Football, some of the soccer games, and say Cool Spot.

Isabelle coming to Smash Ultimate was an expectation I had. It's cool that they went the route of a brand new character, and I was thinking Tom Nook would be her echo until he began to speak more towards the tease of a new Animal Crossing for the Switch. I guess now the next Smash Direct could be set up a lot like the last one and I'm really looking forward to that.

I liked Isabelle's intro trailer and it kind of felt like she would happen.  I was most into Tom Nook, in always being about his money, turning to the screen and basically saying that now that Villager and Isabelle are out Smashing he needs some new meat to get his money.  That was CLASSIC IMO.

Probably the most exciting news to me from this Direct were all of the Final Fantasy experiences heading to the Switch. I'm interested in getting one or two of those games at least for my system once they're available.

That enhanced Kirby's Epic Yarn experience for the 3DS is also very tempting. The original game is pretty good.

Since you dropped a big list I am going to hit up some of your points!

34 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

So basically it's like Pokebank. If you let your subscription lapse there, they'll delete it as well.

Xbox handled it the best so far by letting cloud saving be open to everyone. And Sony at least gives people a grace period.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So basically it's like Pokebank. If you let your subscription lapse there, they'll delete it as well.

Xbox handled it the best so far by letting cloud saving be open to everyone. And Sony at least gives people a grace period.

The thing I hate about Pokebank is you can't renew too early. And unless you open the Bank you don't get any form of reminder. I once only caught on with 4 days left and had ALL of my Pokemon in there.

15 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

The thing I hate about Pokebank is you can't renew too early. And unless you open the Bank you don't get any form of reminder. I once only caught on with 4 days left and had ALL of my Pokemon in there.

Yea that's annoying. It would be nice if they sent a reminder via the 3ds and maybe via email.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Yea that's annoying. It would be nice if they sent a reminder via the 3ds and maybe via email.

Well the Bank is linked to your NNID, they can EASILY just email you. And/or let you buy an extended subscription or top-up at any time. It's not that pricey, I'd be willing to pay or like 5 years and forget it.

2 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

Well the Bank is linked to your NNID, they can EASILY just email you. And/or let you buy an extended subscription or top-up at any time. It's not that pricey, I'd be willing to pay or like 5 years and forget it.

Word. And that's a good idea.