Nintendo Direct 09.13.2018 - 3:00PM PT - 6:00PM ET

EH_STEVE

I'm glad I remembered this just in time to catch Isabelle's reveal! We didn't get to see much, but I'm an infamous Villager main and she looks like an alternate take on that.

As for the Final Fantasy stuff... I've played Curtain Call to hell and back but I still understand nothing about how this series works. I can't even follow the titles--they're all pure gibberish. Even more gibberish than Kingdom Hearts.

JMO

Luigi's Mansion 3 / Switch

With how 2 expanded from 1 on  the 3DS I think they can expand it even further on the Switch.  IMO, getting into multiple mansions or maybe Mushroom Kingdom castles and what not...

Interesting on porting Epic Yarn to 3DS.

No real commentary from me on this.

NSMBU/SLU / Switch

Meh.... not interested.  Not enough new content or modified content to make want to rebuy the game(s).  I will say though, I did like the title on WiiU and I do think both games were great to play through.

Yoshi's Crafted World / Switch

Man, some of the new stages they showed off looked great and upped my desire for the game.  I found it interesting that they kind of brought up that some stages can be played back to front, or side to side, or whatever direction based on paths you open up and its not necessarily how it was presented the last time as a foreground and a background path to see the fronts and behinds of the stages you were playing.

Super Mario Party Online / Switch

I gotta admit that the online functionality added to a MP game is a good idea.  And it seems like it would be a good game to play for those still into the series but I can't see myself getting into this game.  I do think online play is a smart move for the series.

ALL that Final Fantasy Love

WOW.... my man on GX called it in their latest prediction video for today's E3--props to him.  While I probably won't get those games I can totally dig them coming to a Nintendo system.

Isabelle in Smash / NEW AC game

Great teaser trailer and bone tossed for new AC game next year.  Her moves don't look like an echo of Villager so maybe she has a whole new set of moves.  I agree with others that it has been long enough for a new main game in the series even if its not one I play.

Smash Bundle

Its real.  As cool as that dock is, the JCs look like ass.  IMO, the Smash Pro looks a bazillion times better than the JC design.

Splatoon 2 content

It looked good but IDK....  I'd have to have a Splatoon fan tell me their feelings on it.

Starlink & Star Fox / Switch

Bruh.... that Wolf clip....  EPIC.  I think this game is shaping up nicely but I am not sure yet if I am dropping the money on it.

That Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle / Switch

I like what I saw with that game.  I might get it.  The added online functionality makes it more enticing.

NINTENDO ONLINE:

This was a complete and utter disappointment in terms of content and offerings for me.  I can't hide my feelings on this as I am REQUIRED to pay for online play for games I have been playing for free for over a year and I don't get anything about better connections or new content tied to sprucing up my online play once it starts.

I understand its only $20/year but c'mon. All I get to do with this is the "privilege" of playing NES games with online added functionality (of which, only really Dr. Mario seems an effective use of this) and no mention of renting or owning or what happens with the games?  The privilege of cloud saves?  I still don't get on board voice chat, I have to use a smartphone ap?

Then, you throw out a $60 dual NES Classic Controller set that charges on the Switch itself for these games?  Now I like the concept of clicking on to charge classic controllers like the NES ones and one would assume SNES ones are on the way (and yes I would like to see how systems beyond the SNES get that treatment if it happens) but it feels like a cash grab to get people to buy the online by throwing out these carrots.  I am not sure if I will buy these or not.  On one hand I like the idea behind it but on the other I have a pro controller.  Somehow I think this is a money making attempt by Nintendo to offset some of the complaints about the D Pad on the JCs.

Edited by purple_beard
11 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

I'm glad I remembered this just in time to catch Isabelle's reveal! We didn't get to see much, but I'm an infamous Villager main and she looks like an alternate take on that.

As for the Final Fantasy stuff... I've played Curtain Call to hell and back but I still understand nothing about how this series works. I can't even follow the titles--they're all pure gibberish. Even more gibberish than Kingdom Hearts.

FF and KH really aren't the same in that regard though.  While KH's story can be convoluted each game in the series as far as I know connects with a central plotline.  Final Fantasy however, each game is a different story unless there is a direct sequel/prequel and every game may share certain elements like the importance of crystals, an NPC named Cid, Moogles, enemies, etc.  But overall they don't all reside in the same universe.  Curtain Call is a nice package that brings a lot of iconic things from the games into one package but it's not an entry point to understanding what the series on the whole is about or how each game operates.

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

FF and KH really aren't the same in that regard though.  While KH's story can be convoluted each game in the series as far as I know connects with a central plotline.  Final Fantasy however, each game is a different story unless there is a direct sequel/prequel and every game may share certain elements like the importance of crystals, an NPC named Cid, Moogles, enemies, etc.  But overall they don't all reside in the same universe.  Curtain Call is a nice package that brings a lot of iconic things from the games into one package but it's not an entry point to understanding what the series on the whole is about or how each game operates.

I mean, like, the games revealed for incoming ports were something like 6, 7, 9, and 10-II HD something something. Completely lost me there. It's a mountain of inconsistent suffixes, mixing old games with their multiple updated versions(?), the numbers don't line up with the actual order of release, and some aren't numbered at all but are still connected to others. I know a recent one has been with Lightning and some kind of crystal hybrid human, which has spanned multiple games with similar yet different titles, which are linked to several other games which exist under those same rules, yet are not actually related at all story-wise.

like...

ugh.

As an outsider it does a lot to keep me from wanting to get into the series. That, and the fact that I've only played one real FF game, in which I accidentally saved a new file over my main file just before battling the final boss.

tl;dr I have no idea what these upcoming Switch ports, remakes, and debuts are, and that's bad marketing.

After rewatching the Starlink StarFox trailer (vid below)...Is it just me or does this look like a better SF game than SF Zero? I really liked Zero despite its shitty controls, but this looks F'ing awesome! Oh..and Wolf's voice...It's damn good. ^_^

Speaking of his voice...

kl9QLnX.png

BEST COMMENT! XD LOLOL!!!!

If one were pretty unexposed to Final Fantasy before I'd understand the sentiment about all these different numbered games being confusing, but it's really not that complicated. If you can understand that the games are pretty much unrelated to each other (unless it's like X-2 or the XIII series) and the numbers are just representative of which Final Fantasy they are, then it's not a big deal. The games that cross over the different characters or don't even have a roman numeral are just spin-offs.

4 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

After rewatching the Starlink StarFox trailer (vid below)...Is it just me or does this look like a better SF game than SF Zero? I really liked Zero despite its shitty controls, but this looks F'ing awesome! Oh..and Wolf's voice...It's damn good. ^_^

Starlink doesn't really look to play like a Star Fox game though, but it's not a bad thing since the game on its own looked pretty cool though the addition of Star Fox characters actually grabs my interested in it a lot more than it otherwise would have.  Looking at it though, I probably wouldn't be averse to seeing Ubisoft create a standalone Star Fox game, although the dream is to have one specifically created by Platinum Games in their signature over the top crazy style.  The moments during SFZero's aerial battles where two ships would sort of do a freeze frame when they flew next to each other to make the proximity of the pass seem more dramatic totally reeks of something Platinum would do and it's really cool.

13 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

I mean, like, the games revealed for incoming ports were something like 6, 7, 9, and 10-II HD something something. Completely lost me there. It's a mountain of inconsistent suffixes, mixing old games with their multiple updated versions(?), the numbers don't line up with the actual order of release, and some aren't numbered at all but are still connected to others. I know a recent one has been with Lightning and some kind of crystal hybrid human, which has spanned multiple games with similar yet different titles, which are linked to several other games which exist under those same rules, yet are not actually related at all story-wise.

like...

ugh.

As an outsider it does a lot to keep me from wanting to get into the series. That, and the fact that I've only played one real FF game, in which I accidentally saved a new file over my main file just before battling the final boss.

tl;dr I have no idea what these upcoming Switch ports, remakes, and debuts are, and that's bad marketing.

I get what you're saying now, although just keep in mind that for the most part the games are standalone and self contained.  Every game they announced today doesn't link up with any other that I can remember. I'm also not sure what you mean by the numbers not lining up with the order of release.  Save for FFXV pocket edition every numbered title is simply listed as 2019 although I can see them releasing Zodiac Age first as a possibility, but it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the games when they're all self contained experiences.  FFVII will be different from FFIX which will be different from FFX/FFX-2 which will be different from FFXII The Zodiac Age and all are obviously different from games like FFXV Pocket Edition, World of Final Fantasy, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon and Crystal Chronicles. 

None of these games have to be played as a prerequisite to understand the others as there isn't any kind of cross talk in lore or story.  The only game that might not fall under this is World of FF since there are a lot of different FF reps and cameos involved, but from what I understand that game is very much a who's who of FF type game much like the Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology is a who's who casting of Tales Of characters.

And I mean, if all else fails, there's plenty of resources on the net that goes into more detail than my summation does.

Of the FF games announced today, the only instance of a direct sequel is Final Fantasy X and X-2. Square Enix has always sold X/X-2 remasters as a bundle, to make things easier for you. In any other case, if an FF game looks interesting to you, pick it up. If it doesn't. ignore it. My personal faves of the ones announced today are FF12 and FF9; that said, 12 is very much an acquired taste. 

And, for FF12 in particular, 'The Zodiac Age' is just the name given to the remeaster. The Zodiac Age and PS2 versions of FF12, are sans quality of life changes (and boy howdy did Squeenix deliver on QoL changes) and the titular Zodiac Job System, the same game. 

5 minutes ago, Arvis said:

Of the FF games announced today, the only instance of a direct sequel is Final Fantasy X and X-2. Square Enix has always sold X/X-2 remasters as a bundle, to make things easier for you. In any other case, if an FF game looks interesting to you, pick it up. If it doesn't. ignore it. My personal faves of the ones announced today are FF12 and FF9; that said, 12 is very much an acquired taste. 

And, for FF12 in particular, 'The Zodiac Age' is just the name given to the remeaster. The Zodiac Age and PS2 versions of FF12, are sans quality of life changes (and boy howdy did Squeenix deliver on QoL changes) and the titular Zodiac Job System, the same game. 

Well, I did play the heck out of Curtain Call because I love rhythm games... till I frantically abandoned it in a hotel room overseas anyway. I guess that's like playing Smash Bros without ever having played a Nintendo game.

Games with that much replay value are partly why I've purchased just a single game in the past two years. But it must be great to be someone experiencing all of these enhanced ports for the first time--Nintendo's gone mad with porting power with the Switch and endgame 3DS.