Yoshi's Crafted World 3/29

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/nintendo_seems_to_have_accidentally_revealed_the_title_of_next_years_yoshi_game

I get the title, but it feels so uninspiring after them using Yoshi's Woolly World last time around.

I really hope they somehow find a hook with this game like they did with the wool pattern Yoshis and with the 3DS version of Woolly World, the Creator tool.

Edited by purple_beard

That's not a jab on Woolly World specifically, but the entire progress of the Yoshi series. The visual design of the original was a big part of it, but feels like they just only focus on what the next game is gonna look like if it's not relegated to some throwaway 2nd party. Yoshi's Island is one of the best-designed, most fluid platformers in Nintendo history, but everything past it just feels like they're always messing around with gimmicks. It's almost as though Nintendo doesn't even know how they made it great in the first place.

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

That's not a jab on Woolly World specifically, but the entire progress of the Yoshi series. The visual design of the original was a big part of it, but feels like they just only focus on what the next game is gonna look like if it's not relegated to some throwaway 2nd party. Yoshi's Island is one of the best-designed, most fluid platformers in Nintendo history, but everything past it just feels like they're always messing around with gimmicks. It's almost as though Nintendo doesn't even know how they made it great in the first place.

I'll give you the first one was superb.  Original in graphics, music, and game play... also the the work it put on the tech at the time.  After that one, the only one that was even close was Woolly World.

• 1 month later...

Demo video

Played the demo myself actually....

I liked what I got to play and I liked the foreground background shooting with the eggs to get stuff.

The graphics really drive home that crafted world aesthetic.

I'm not a fan of the buttons assigned to certain tasks and that also kind of got me not really vibing with the aiming mechanic.

The interactivity with the levels is spot on with how prior videos looked about it.

I still think the custom wool patterns were cooler than these costume suits Yoshi gets in this one but then again... the suits weren't bad.

• 3 weeks later...

GX is dropping videos left and right about the game and I am not going to post all of them here, but I have watched them and I did want to post this one.

Map screen

PREVIEW discussion

A couple of discussion points for me so far:

Both say the game starts slow and progressively gets better...  Says its first impression gave off that bad Yoshi DS game vibe to start.

--Not surprised.

Graphics are impressive.

So far the game is easy and made easier if you use the amiibo outfits but they also kind of take away some of the challenge in the game.

--I liked some of the outfits they showed off in that other video, but I don't find them better than the Woolly Yoshis from the last game.

Costumes in Crafted world vs. Woolly Yoshis 

--They echo my thoughts, the Yarn Yoshis were MUCH COOLER.  And the costumes don't feel as collectible as the Wonder Wools.

--in their live stream video they put up, you can choose your Yoshi color to play as: Pink, Purple, Blue, Red, Light Blue, Yellow, Green, and Orange.

Interesting notation of play pace.  Both guys recommend playing through and get what you can on first trips because you will have to revisit the levels later anyway for additional goals so 100% first time runs end up being supplanted by runs you have to come back to do.

--I don't normally go for 100%s in these any way but WW really had me on that desire though due to all of the costumes so...

--I'd get as much as I could or something I saw I easily could have gotten, but I don't do too much replays to find stuff otherwise unless the hook is there.

Platforming demands and puzzle solving do start to get more intricate as you progress but the first few levels are really low impact. 

Edited by purple_beard

I have nostalgia for Yoshi's Story as I remember renting it back in the day at Blockbuster. But man do I not enjoy how short the game is and how annoying it can be. Got to the 6th page and got game over. May pick it up another time, but moving on to Yoshi's Island DS. Then again I just read that Yoshi's New Island takes place chronologically takes place in between Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS. 

I know I'm bringing up all of these other Yoshi games besides Crafted World, but figure I play through what I can before Crafted World comes out. 

Edited by Eliwoodman12

Been playing Yoshi's New Island and Wooly World simultaneously. New Island is ok, feels like a soft reboot, but nothing really special. Like the 3D. Wooly World is an amazing experience and feel bad I waited this long to play through it. I just got to the second world, and it is just a relaxing game and breathtaking, just like Kirby's Epic Yarn. If Crafted World follows the same vein, I will be hyped, which I think it will.

Reviews starting to hit.

A constant theme across all content I have come across about this game is it's not quite as good as WW but not quite as bad as the DS game.  Another constant theme is the repetitiveness for going 100%--and the main knock is having to replay levels 5x to get all the goodies.  All reviews portray the game as visually solid, having some good platforming and puzzle solving, but kind of short.

I loved Yoshi's Island (SNES) and YWW on WiiU and 3DS a lot.  The DS game was good, not bad.  I absolutely hated the N64 game.  I don't think the custom armor suits are as intoxicating to get and use as the Wonder Wools from WW but the game's aesthetic seems as good of a hook as that game.

Edited by purple_beard
3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Reviews starting to hit.

A constant theme across all content I have come across about this game is it's not quite as good as WW but not quite as bad as the DS game.  Another constant theme is the repetitiveness for going 100%--and the main knock is having to replay levels 5x to get all the goodies.  All reviews portray the game as visually solid, having some good platforming and puzzle solving, but kind of short.

I loved Yoshi's Island (SNES) and YWW on WiiU and 3DS a lot.  The DS game was good, not bad.  I absolutely hated the N64 game.  I don't think the custom armor suits are as intoxicating to get and use as the Wonder Wools from WW but the game's aesthetic seems as good of a hook as that game.

Which DS game are we talking about here? The regular DS Yoshi's Island or the New 3DS one?