Dragalia Lost - Nintendo's new IP created exclusively for mobile (Sept. 27th)

jfgugbm.png

Site: https://dragalialost.com/en/

Release Date: September 27th

Price: Free (In-app purchases)

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- For the first time ever, Nintendo is introducing a new IP directly on smart devices! With the Dragalia Lost game, players can enjoy a fast-paced action role-playing game set in a fantasy world of warriors, magic and dragons that’s specifically designed to play on smartphones, but with the depth typically reserved for dedicated video game systems. With intuitive touch-screen controls, colorful fantasy graphics that pop off the screen and the option to join up online with up to three other players in co-op story quests, events and Raid Battles, the game can easily be enjoyed in short bursts or longer play sessions.

Nintendo debuted a video detailing many of the features coming to Dragalia Lost. To view the video presentation in its entirety, visit https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/08-29-2018/.

“Our mobile strategy is expanding with the launch of Dragalia Lost, the first original IP from Nintendo to launch on mobile devices,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Fans are looking for a variety of experiences on mobile devices, and this vibrant action role-playing game perfectly complements our other mobile games, while also offering something completely new.”

In Dragalia Lost, players build a customized party of adventurers and set off on a grand journey – one that will take them to a variety of locales to save the Kingdom of Alberia from mysterious evil forces that are corrupting the realm. While exploring the world, players control their party of adventurers in battle, even transforming into mighty dragons to unleash devastating attacks. Along the way, players can discover more than 60 companions for their party that offer a variety of different weapon classes, combat abilities and elemental properties.

Battles are performed in real time to keep players in the action, dragging their fingers on the screen to move their characters, tapping or holding to engage with various attacks and flicking along the screen to dodge. It’s all very intuitive and easy to pick up for any type of player. And by using the in-game currency Diamantium or Wyrmite, players can summon new characters, dragons or special accessories called Wyrmprints that can be equipped for powerful abilities or bonuses. Wyrmite is earned in the game as a reward for completing quests, while Diamantium can be purchased using real-world money.

Dragalia Lost is all about letting players play how they want. Party members can be customized in all sorts of ways, whether it’s through new equipment or leveling up and earning new or upgraded abilities. Dragalia Lost even offers synchronous online multiplayer with up to three other people who have the game, so friends can share the experience throughout the game’s main story adventure, additional quests and event raids.

For more information about Dragalia Lost, including how to pre-register, visit https://dragalialost.com/en/.

PR Link: https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/316928-nintendo-details-dragalia-lost-its-first-new-ip-created-exclusiv

Hmmm...Not sure about this one. I mean, it looks like it could be fun, but it seems like generic mobile RPG. I might give it a try when it launches.

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Dragalia Lost - Nintendo's new IP created exclusively for mobile (late Sept.)

Looked like it could be a fun little diversion until I saw the Stamina indicator for the missions.

No thanks, I'd rather play as much as I want when I want. That stamina bullshit is insidious and designed to make you want to keep playing and dumping money.

Honestly, I'd rather just pay a flat rate for a full gaming experience. But that's not how mobile works. You have to dumps hundreds of dollars a year into a game that's maybe worth 20-30 right?

I'll pass. Maybe if it gets a sequel on the Switch or 3DS that's an actual full retail game.

Edited by Marxforever

I think the concern about stamina is valid, because there are indeed games which genuinely take much of the fun out of enjoying them casually due to aggressive stamina costs.

However,  there's Nintendo's own Fire Emblem Heroes which Dragalia Lost shares many similarities with where stamina may as well not exist, because the game has taken many efforts to minimalize the importance of stamina as a resource over time. Since launch, they've doubled the stamina bar from 50 to 99, reduced stamina costs for various maps (with certain types being completely free now), and started several regularly held events which give out stamina potions like candy, on top of the regular quest rewards and log-in bonuses. I personally play FE Heroes a little bit every day and am sitting on 400+ stamina potions which I don't think I'll ever exhaust, and it's a great feeling that I think many other players appreciate a lot as well.

For what it's worth, Cygames is responsible for the very popular Granblue Fantasy which employs stamina as well, and I've never gotten the impression it's been a problem there either, going off my friends who regularly play it. Cygames's success with Granblue Fantasy and Nintendo's history with FE Heroes gives me good hope Dragalia Lost will be fine and live up to the promise of this collaboration.

I'm not suggesting we should assume that Dragalia Lost will take after how well FE Heroes treats its players with regards to stamina (it's entirely possible it may not), but I'm pretty sure FE Heroes basically redefining the perception of stamina for a lot of players plays a big part of why the stigma over it isn't really part of the conversation surrounding Dragalia Lost, as far as I've seen. Disagree with me if you wish, but I'd just like to say I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing that Dragalia Lost has a stamina system.

The game looks cute and the gameplay looked entertaining to me, it reminded me a bit of the ds zelda games in how it seemed to play. My only real concern is the gacha systems. between the weapons, CEs , weird ring system and dragons, it seems like there are a LOT of systems to interact with, and while that might be nice for customization, can be really painful in a gacha system. I think i'll give it a try when it comes out, but I'll probably drop it if the system is too demanding of my time.

It certainly piqued my interests but I think the other concerns people have listed are pretty valid. It does look kind of generic thematically, though I think there are so many anime mobile gacha games that it's hard to avoid that to some extent. Stamina is hard to say, we'll just have to wait and see. I hope Chrom is right and Nintendo took lessons from FEH and doesn't make it too obnoxious, though in FE's case I still have to wonder why it's even there. My biggest concern is the Gacha system, having what 4 things seemingly tied to the same summoning pool sound obnoxious, but I'm also comparing it to FE so maybe it won't be as bad as I think. And on the other hand it could be nice that things like weapons and skills aren't all locked to characters. The overabundance of resources can be a turn off too. FE is certainly getting up there too but Dragalia Lost looks like it's dropping with about as many different things to keep track of and power up as FEH has now. 

I'll definitely give it a try, I've had a lot of fun with Fire Emblem Heroes so I'll give another Nintendo gacha a chance. However, FeH does have one of my favorite series behind it, it'll be interesting to see how a unique IP does. It's gonna be weird not having certain characters to be excited for. Hopefully, the characters are pretty good (even if at first glance a bit generic) because even if the game does everything perfect if I don't like the characters I'm probably not gonna stick around. 

(For what it's worth, I've been playing Fire Emblem Heroes since launch and Granblue Fantasy for about a year and a half.)

I'm definitely planning on picking this game up and giving it a try. I'm not sure what I think about it yet, and I need another gacha game like I need another hole in my head, but it looks cute, and I'm a sucker for dragons. Since it's tentatively free, like most gacha games, it's not all too much of an investment to try. I'll see what I think of it as time goes on.

In regards to stamina concerns, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Getting people to pay for stamina to play games is more of a western/puzzle mobile game concept. In gacha games, you don't pay for stamina; you pay for waifus. Both GBF and FEH give so many stamina-restoring potions that it's honestly never been a concern for me to play as long as I want, presuming that I'm not doing so literally all day.

With all this HUMANS AND DRAGONS and DRAGONS AND HUMANS you'd think it was something as insipidly generic as the storyline of the first Fire Emblem on GBA.

Being a mobile-only IP doesn't exactly bode well for it either. I would tell Nintendo to stick to their guns, but I know they're just doing this to placate their stockholders.  Still, I really wish they went for something less boringly generic...but not too weird either.

Edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan

I'd like to say that I think everyone else's thoughts about the game's focus on dragons are fair. It's not to everyone's tastes because it is indeed something very typical to the genre and Nintendo already has a series that won't shut up about dragons. On the surface Dragalia Lost just doesn't seem very unique for an all-new game coming from Nintendo, so it may have a bit of a challenge to prove itself to consumers.

For me personally, I mostly feel the same and can't say I care too much about the dragons either. However, a big reason why this game has a bit of hold on me and has me interested in at least trying out is actually because of the non-dragon characters, or more specifically their relationships with each other. A deeper look into the characters on the official website shows a simple relations chart detailing how each known character is connected to others and where they hail from, and there's already a decently sized cast including those we know virtually nothing about yet (one doesn't even have a given name or portrait but is there anyway). Even though this is far from unique, it does give me a familiar vibe from other RPGS I enjoy which are character-oriented. Coupled with the new story trailer they just put out, I'm hoping that Dragalia Lost may have an engaging story to play through despite the dragon theme. If that can be as enjoyable as the gameplay itself and summoning characters, then that'd probably be enough for me to be hooked.

• Chrom featured and unfeatured this topic