Your All Time Favorite Nintendo Console? (Plus Rank Them!)

Favorite N console?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite N console?

Rank your Nintendo consoles from favorite to least - and vote for your favorite one in the poll.

My Favorites (best to worst)

1. SNES (10/10)

2. N64 (10/10)

3. GBC (8/10)

4. DS (7/10)

5. Gamecube (6/10)

6. Switch (its too early - might be my favorite piece of Nintendo hardware, but it needs a lot more years of top end games.)

7. GBA (5/10)

8. Wii (3/10 did NOT like this console)

Didnt have a Wiiu so I cant rate that - was too disappointed by the Wii to get one.

For comparison, my favorite non-Nintendo consoles are:

PS1 (7/10)

PS2 (8/10)

PS3(6/10)

PS4 (6/10)

PC (10/10  ...this isn't fair because I'm counting emulation in there)

Edited by Kool.K

1 Wii (because of its GCN backwards compatibility and I liked the games on it)

2 Wii U (for the nice library of games)

3 NES (it's the first system I had!)

4 3DS (good games library)

5 DS (same as above)

6 GBA (same too)

7 Game Boy Color

8 Game Boy

Edited by Doc Brown

My vote is a cop-out because I never officially own SNES growing up but I played the game my friend had growing up, other how would I know of game Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, F-ZERO Super Mario RPG and have very fond memory of them on that platform. I do own the mini of it so I think that redeem that cop-out a bit.

But yeah the rank order now

1. SNES

2. Switch

3. Wii

4. 3DS

5. DS

6. Wii U

7. GCN

8. GBA

9. N64

10. GBC

Man, ranking Wii U and DS were hard, honestly their a tie for 6 but I just better gaming experience on that platform. There are some awesome gems on Wii U that get lost in what is looked at as the worse library of games but DS had dem RPG's that I cannot run away from that trump the the Wii U.

26 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

My vote is a cop-out because I never officially own SNES growing up but I played the game my friend had growing up, other how would I know of game Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, F-ZERO Super Mario RPG and have very fond memory of them on that platform. I do own the mini of it so I think that redeem that cop-out a bit.

But yeah the rank order now

1. SNES

2. Switch

3. Wii

4. 3DS

5. DS

6. Wii U

7. GCN

8. GBA

9. N64

10. GBC

Man, ranking Wii U and DS were hard, honestly their a tie for 6 but I just better gaming experience on that platform. There are some awesome gems on Wii U that get lost in what is looked at as the worse library of games but DS had dem RPG's that I cannot run away from that trump the the Wii U.

Whats With the N64 near the bottom? Was it because of the lack of RPG's?

@KezayYo, we still missing your rankigs

Edited by Kool.K
2 minutes ago, Kool.K said:

Whats With the N64 near the bottom? Was it because of the lack of RPG's?

I actually own that system but back then I wasn't into RPG's yet. It wasn't until the DS came on the scene where I realized I have love for that genre.

Also, I ranked these systems with the games I played on them, if you notice the games near bottom are systems that are from 20-25 years ago. I was 5 to 10 yr old back then. So those systems were bought for me so not a lot of games were bought (tho I remember buying MM) So all the other systems above 7 are more post modern that I actual bought and bought games for. More games, more opportunities to remember certain experience.

I will always be grateful for N64 for Super Mario 64, OOT, MM, Waverace, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, Smash, and all 3 Mario Partys'

im not gonna rank em bc i just dont feel like it but i think its a toss up between the 3ds and the GCN? not just to be a nostalgic baby either, the GCN was a genuinely great console, well made and well designed and had a lot of stellar titles on it that really eased me into more 'hardcore' gaming in a fun way

and while i wouldnt say the 3DS has the bulk of favorite titles on it for me like the GBA or the DS, i do feel like its the best iteration of a handheld that nintendo has made, fluid design (especially w the newest versions), great game catalog, and online usage 

nintendo typically knocks it out of the park tho imo so all of them are good

4 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I actually own that system but back then I wasn't into RPG's yet. It wasn't until the DS came on the scene where I realized I have love for that genre.

Also, I ranked these systems with the games I played on them, if you notice the games near bottom are systems that are from 20-25 years ago. I was 5 to 10 yr old back then. So those systems were bought for me so not a lot of games were bought (tho I remember buying MM) So all the other systems above 7 are more post modern that I actual bought and bought games for. More games, more opportunities to remember certain experience.

I will always be grateful for N64 for Super Mario 64, OOT, MM, Waverace, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, Smash, and all 3 Mario Partys'

Ha, it's the opposite for me. Had less games as a kid, but that meant I spent a lot more time on each one and combined with being so young they're just burned in to my mind so much more. Even though there's really only about 5-6 games on the N64 I really enjoyed, I value that 5-6 more than the 20+ I had fun with on the PS2 or GNC for example.

I'm not going to factor in backwards compatibility into these rankings, because it gives the 3DS an easy win for being able to play DS games. I'm going to go through the systems listing off some of the games I really liked from their libraries that I've played. I did not own a NES, SNES and got the N64 near the release of the GCN.

1. Nintendo DS - Metroid Prime Hunters, Super Mario 64 DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Meteos, Sonic Rush, WarioWare: Touched, Mario Kart DS, Moon, New Super Mario Brothers, Tetris DS, Dementium, Dementium II, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Custom Robo Arena, Pac-Pix, Pokemon Black, Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Chibi-Robo Park Patrol, WarioWare D.I.Y., Pokemon Heartgold, Contra 4, GTA: Chinatown Wars

2. Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, DKC: Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn

3. GCN - Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Mario Party 5, Mario Party 6, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Power Tennis, Kirby's Air Ride, Chibi-Robo

4. 3DS - Metroid Prime: Federation Force, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Super Smash Brothers 3DS, Hey! Pikmin, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Pilotwings Resort, WarioWare Gold, Mutant Mudds, Ocarina of Time 3D

5*. Nintendo Switch - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, ARMS, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

6. GBA - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Pokemon Sapphire, WarioWare, Inc: Mega Microgames!

7. Wii U - Nintendo Land, Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Brothers Wii U, Runbow, Game & Wario, DKC: Tropical Freeze

8. Game Boy/Color - Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land 2, Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Crystal, Metroid II

9. N64 - Super Mario 64, Wave Race

I put an asterisk for the Nintendo Switch since its library is still growing and will be getting a boost by year's end with Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee and Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. If everything goes right with the game's story, Metroid Prime 4 should be a major boost for the Switch as well. With the NES, I really only enjoy Metroid, Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. For the Super Nintendo, Super Metroid is tops with Donkey Kong Country second. I haven't gotten into other SNES games yet.

Edited by IU

My favorite Nintendo consoles based on my top 100 games I've beaten as of now and how great each game is:

1. 3DS

2. DS

3. Switch

4. GCN

5. GBA

6. SNES 

7. Game Boy Color  

8. N64

9. Wii

10. NES

11. Game Boy

12. WiiU  

I've been more in line with the portable consoles when it comes to Nintendo. 

Edited by XLW

SNES
GCN
GBA
GBC
3DS
DS
NES
Wii U
Wii
N64

I don't have any criteria, this is purely based on my emotional feeling about each console at the moment. And I don't feel right judging the Switch alongside the rest until it's at least been on the market for a couple years. But SNES has been firmly at the top of my rankings for a long time, even though I didn't really grow up with one. Somehow it evokes childhood for me anyway. And it goes without saying that it has a great library.

There hasn't been a system I hated made by Nintendo, but some I wish had been more than what they were.  Not sure I would really want to include the handhelds with systems.....

1) Wii-  It encompassed everything I liked about the older systems plus the online for newer games.  Gave me the opportunity to explore games that I didn't have the chance before.

2) 3DS/DS-  The 3ds is my constant companion.  Wide variety of things at my fingertips. And i enjoyed streetpassing local people for things.  Overall not enough difference between it and DS to have them seperate.

3) SNES-  A lot of my favorite games were on this system, the wow factor over the NES with Mode 7 and colors just got to me.  The flying in FFIII or racing in MK.....

4) NES- The original was my first gaming system, it will always have a place in my heart. My first Zelda, Mario, Mega Man and Tetris games that started my love affair with video games.

5) N64 - MK64 and DK 64 made the hits for multiplayer with friends.  I miss the four player local action.

6) GBA- The game system that finally got my brother and our friends to play portable games seriously before the internet and wifi generation.

7) GCN- The last local player fun house console. Sure some non gamers got the wii....but this was the last console before everyone went on to real* lives.  The nights of Super Monkey Ball marathons will live on.  

8) GBC/GB - First true handheld, helped with car rides so much.

9) Wii U-  I liked off tv play, it helped when taking care of my dad and couldnt play on a tv screen properly.  But just knowing it could have been way better......................

10) Virtual Boy- Misguided awful red, but interesting.

? Switch- Dont know how to rank this yet.   Feels like there is something missing.  For a portable, it isnt very portable when compared to 3ds.  I cant keep it on me like a 3DS.  The online component is lacking and waiting to see how that works out in the next month.  Suprised some basic things havent updated onto the system yet.

If I were to exclude Metroid Prime Hunters, the Wii would be my favorite system and I really miss all the effort Nintendo put into the Wii to make it worth turning on. They made the Wii a fun experience to interact with through the variety of channels they introduced. To me, it had one of the best notification features of any system. Waking up early to go to high school and seeing that bright blue light in my living room always was a good start to the day. The Virtual Console introduced me to Super Metroid as well, which is one of my favorite games. It's too early to tell how the Switch will stack up overall, but it has got no personality next to the Wii right now.

• Chrom featured this topic

I put SNES on top for me, but that really can change given the day. Factor in nostalgia and how much I played a system and N64 can easily take the top spot.  I may put it on my top list for now even.

N64: Sure games haven't aged too well, but boy are there some gems on here and some great multiplayer games. 

SNES: I can't say anything bad about this system. N64 just had more impact for me given the time frame. 

Switch: Easily can be #1 based off what it's done so far. I think it will be #1 when it's all said and done. 

Wii: Loved the first two years of the system. The novelty and personality. Loved the games as well. But imo went downhill with too much shovel ware and bad online experiences. 

Gamecube: A lot of great games. Great multiplayer system. Didn't have Rareware like the N64 had though. Wii is on top just because I feel like I had more multiplayer experiences on that than this. A lot of my friends were with PS2 and XBOX at the time.

DS: A lot of great games, with my personal favorite Pokemon Heart Gold

3DS: Honestly, the 3DS library is arguably better than the DS library. Can go either way. 

GBA

NES

GBC

Wii U

To be honest I love them all in their own ways. It's really hard to rank them.

Gamecube might be my favorite. So many bangers on the GCN like damn.
Really felt like Nintendo and co. really came into their own with 3D design.
Games like Melee, Sunshine, and F-Zero GX had the most fine-tuned, beautiful physics and controls.
And it was still in the Yamauchi era (at least somewhat) where Nintendo was actually flexing their side IPs (Wario, Metroid) and not just relegating them to spin-offs or remakes.
Lack of third party support in that time was sad but that's really been the case to a degree ever since the PS1 came out lmao

The SNES is probably #2, or they might be even tbh.
Same phenomenon but with 2D gaming really. They started to get comfortable with 2D design and really pushed it to the limit.
So many SNES games are still among the best in their series, like Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Final Fantasy 6, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Superstar + DL3, Mega Man X/X2
When you hit on a game by game basis you really can't touch the SNES.

My least favorites might be the Wii and the N64.

With the N64, I feel like so many of the games succeeded despite the system lol. That thing was so underpowered, and cartridges on a 3D system in the 90s when they were still strapped for space made for such a mess. Was great to not have loading times, but games had to cut so many corners.
Unlike the Gamecube, I feel like it didn't get a lot of classic series representation mainly because it couldn't even work well on the damn thing.

And for the Wii, the whole era of simplifying their games to draw in a bigger audience, while necessary with Nintendo's decade slump prior to its release, really led to a bunch of duds. Galaxy is pretty and sounds fantastic, but the physics make it feel like a kiddie pool compared to Sunshine's olympic one.
Both Zeldas were super boring to me, Brawl was ass, even Mario Kart and Mario Party felt dumbed down and that's hard to do.
Loads of series got the boot, which was sad to see after all the amazing creativity on the Gamecube.
Also the Wii was the first console to not have Nintendo's historical crazy durability. My first one broke after the slightest tumble. That was a pretty sad sight.

I guess I should mention the Wii U as well, but it's in such a weird place. An actually cool console that just sold so damn poorly cause of shit marketing that they didn't even wanna make games for it, and it feels like it was just a prototype for the Switch. What do you even say about it?

Edited by Pichi