Anyone Else Getting Dragon Quest 11?

Kool.K

Are you Getting DQ 11?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Getting DQ 11?

This is the most excited I've been for a jrpg since tales of symphonia on the gamecube. It's giving me the same kind of vibes. A game like ToS wouldn't rank high on my last nowadays because of the jrpg story cliches and terrible writing/voice acting aren't my cup of tea anymore, but I'm kind of pumped for the idea of playing 90s RPG with modern mechanics. DQ3 for the GBC is one of my favorite games ever, so I think this is going to be a blast. Anyone else getting this?

I really only got excited because of the review scores and reviews themselves. It's been a long time since I've seen a traditional JRPG this well received. (besides Xc which I never played and dont think I'd enjoy)

1 hour ago, Kool.K said:

Is it going to?

BTW, do you exclusively own Nintendo consoles? (now and generally speaking)

Yes; I believe DQXI is in fact the first game ever announced for the Switch. I think SE is going to show more at Tokyo Game Show, which is next month. If I were to guess, they're porting the PS4 version and there's just some difficulties getting the port working.

But we won't know until TGS. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

where is the "maybe" on this poll lol?  I find the game to be very gorgeous but I have never been a huge Dragon Quest fan.  I have diddled around with the NES games and I have messed around with some of the later titles.  I even went as far as buying Dragon Quest VIII which has been sitting and collecting dust (I will eventually play through that, but just not in the mood to do anymore RPGs this year, totally RPGed out :().  I have always been a huge Final Fantasy fan and playing the Dragon Quest games seems to be more of a massive grind/drag for me.  I really like powerful and in depth stories that really move you and for some reason I never got that feeling with any of the Dragon Quest games I have ever messed with.  The ones I got the furthest in were the NES games to the point where I actually almost beat a few of them (I would have beaten the original Dragon Warrior for NES but save battery died, still have to fix that but its been an afterthought).  So maybe the games just aren't for me or maybe I just don't get it?  XI is a gorgeous game and depending on how some of my friends who are big into the Tales, DQ, and FF series react to it, I might give  it a nice shot.  Hell, I might just borrow it from them so I don't end up wasting my money.

Grinding isn't really necessary in most of the games, as long as you don't avoid battles and finish them you likely wont be overpowered for bosses. DQXI has been marked as relatively easy and the added Draconian Quests gives you more to do in a game, I only turned on no exp from weaker enemies cause I still want to enjoy the game.

12 hours ago, Dancing Mog said:

Grinding isn't really necessary in most of the games, as long as you don't avoid battles and finish them you likely wont be overpowered for bosses. DQXI has been marked as relatively easy and the added Draconian Quests gives you more to do in a game, I only turned on no exp from weaker enemies cause I still want to enjoy the game.

Maybe I’m just not as good as you, and so need to grind more in general. :P

But I remember an interview from the 80s with the creator of DQ where they asked the question about grinding, and he said something along the lines of “life is hard, I’m teaching kids how to be adaptable”. So the idea of grinding was woven in from the start.