So, a NSMBU+SLU rumor has surfaced....

41 minutes ago, Chrom said:

On the topic of the name: Yeah, it'd be kind of weird to still call it New Super Mario Bros. U if it were released on Switch, but honestly I'm not sure they have a better choice. I mean, what would they call it instead that wouldn't easily mistake it for a completely new game? I feel like they would be better off keeping the U in the title to help distinguish that it's still the Wii U game.

I always thought  "NEW" was mean to distinguish between the NES titles and the SNES title(s).  NES was plain Super Mario Bros....  , SNES was Super Mario World ....

Okay, so here's a thought... What if Nintendo isn't actually interested in continuing the New Super Mario Bros. series anymore?

There is a particular interview with Mr. Tezuka of Nintendo (a producer of the NSMB series) from a few years ago that I've always remembered, where he apparently said he wanted to make a Mario game that could surpass New Super Mario Bros. It's sort of up to interpretation as to what he exactly meant, but I always saw this as him possibly saying he hoped to make a different kind of 2D Mario game. It may not have materialized yet, but I could see it happening later on.

If we suppose that New Super Mario Bros. was meant to be this serialized game series that basically asked for a new release every few years or every console release, then I believe the concern about this alleged Switch port would make some sense. It would indeed be weird to come out with this port, then later another NSMB game for Switch. What would be the point, right? For example, there's already Mario Tennis Aces, so there's no real reason for them to bring Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash from Wii U to Switch. I believe that's the angle I'm seeing, and I'd like to make it clear that I'm trying to understand that particular point.

However, we do not know what Nintendo's roadmap is and what they have planned for future Mario games. I think we should consider that we may not necessarily see another new NSMB game, so this port could just be Nintendo's way to bring 2D Mario to Switch in the interim until they do whatever's next. I don't see the problem with it since I figure a lot of people would be happy to buy the game on Switch, whether again or for the first time.

1 hour ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

It wouldn't sell more on Switch. 

Geez, didn't think this Chrom needed the forum cavalry to support his flimsy reasoning. 

People who buy copies of games for each system they have would buy it, as would people who got a Switch but not a Wii U. A new game will still do very well, so a port is only allowing them to milk the cow further.

And yes, obviously people who argue the same point are someone else's personal army. /s

Edited by Gold

A port of NSMBU + NSLU has the potential to out sell the Wii U release, and be another million seller within the Switch's library at minimum. There are around 19.6 million Switches sold versus the 13.5 for Wii U with a difference that surpasses the sales for NSMBU itself (~5.77 million), so it would make sense for Nintendo to do a port of NSMBU with the NSLU DLC. It's a release that would take little effort on their part that likely would end up being a multi-million success for the Switch. Unless you are someone suffering from NSMB fatigue, NSMBU is a great game and more great games will only benefit the perception of the Switch.

I personally don't think NSMBU w/ NSLU is the best port option from Mario to bring to the Switch going into the launch of their online service. I've heard more desire to see Super Mario Maker on the system, and if they add in a few level elements such as slopes, I think an enhanced port of that game will carry the same results as a NSMBU port and then some as it'll have more of the Switch audience actively invested in the online service which will only bring Nintendo more money. I think a Super Mario Maker Deluxe has better potential as a double dip option for owners of the Wii U game than NSMBU + NSLU does as well, certainly with more level elements. Hopefully this rumor gets cleared up in the next Direct.

I understand the thought that Super Mario Maker might be a more appealing title to play on Switch than NSMBU, but despite the fact that they're both 2D Mario games, they're still very different experiences. NSMBU is the quintessential 2D Mario experience that anyone can immediately get into, while Mario Maker is an anamoly in that it's about the creating levels and enjoying levels made by other players.

Because they're such different games, I think Nintendo would handle releases of them accordingly and not interchangeably. Even though I'd personally rather play Mario Maker on Switch than NSMBU, I think it may actually be a better call for Nintendo to come out with a port of NSMBU first like on Wii U, because that game evidently has wider appeal going by sales data.

I'm not worried about Mario Maker not releasing on Switch at some point at least. After all, it's still a super popular title from the Wii U that even saw a release on the 3DS already. I'd be surprised if a Switch version didn't happen eventually.

Super Mario Maker, while 2D, is a fundamentally different game and game style than a normal 2D Mario game.

I don't mind ports necessarily but after two years of being out in the market I'm not sure if ports of last systems games are best way to move the Switch forward.

I  wouldn't mind a NSMB collection coming out on Switch or something along those lines but it sure seems like its time or near time for a 2D Mario title that is NEW and not a port or a remake if a prior game.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Super Mario Maker, while 2D, is a fundamentally different game and game style than a normal 2D Mario game.

I don't mind ports necessarily but after two years of being out in the market I'm not sure if ports of last systems games are best way to move the Switch forward.

I  wouldn't mind a NSMB collection coming out on Switch or something along those lines but it sure seems like its time or near time for a 2D Mario title that is NEW and not a port or a remake if a prior game.

I agree that ports shouldn't be the headlining software of the system but I do think that there is an argument to be made for more games being carried over for two main reasons:

1) Giving them new life on a more successful platform which opens up an audience that didn't own a Wii U to quality titles they missed out on

2) The portable aspect of Switch has been a selling point that has in part been a boon for software in some cases

As much as I'm looking forward to all of the new software coming from Nintendo and third parties I do still hold out hope that at least a few more Wii U releases will make their way over.  I put a ton of time into Xenoblade Chronicles X and I do hope one day they make a sequel to that, but I'd have no problem dropping cash on a port of XCX to Switch and putting in a ton of time on it all over again.  Or something like Tokyo MIrage Sessions.  Sure, I wouldn't buy it again, but that was such a great game that was dragged down in the court of public opinion to a degree (I won't go into it here or anything) but as a result I'm sure there were many Wii U owners who didn't jump into it and missed out on a pretty great JRPG.