So, a NSMBU+SLU rumor has surfaced....

It doesn't make much sense since Super Mario Maker exists. I would be on board if it were a HD NSMB collection though, otherwise it would be underwhelming to see a Wii U port from a series that doesn't seem like it would need that much time to create a new entry. I'm sure it would be enjoyable for those that didn't own the NSMBU+SLU combo. It would just be a shame to see Switch owners pay more than $29.99 for that experience.

Edited by IU
25 minutes ago, IU said:

It doesn't make much sense since Super Mario Maker exists. I would be on board if it were a HD NSMB collection though, otherwise it would be underwhelming to see a Wii U port from a series that doesn't seem like it would need that much time to create a new entry. I'm sure it would be enjoyable for those that didn't own the NSMBU+SLU combo. It would just be a shame to see Switch owners pay more than $29.99 for that experience.

So.... what caught my eye with your post is a NSMB collection?  As in the NSMB(ds), NSMB2(3ds), , NSMBWii, and NSMBU + SLU?  

Now.... that might be up my alley.....

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe & Knuckles with New Funky Mode Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series

(Seriously--Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros U, and New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe are all separate releases...)

At this point, will the Wii U have a single exclusive title left to itself? It's a damn shame that the most unique and fascinating console of all time was dead on arrival thanks to the worst console marketing campaign of all time.

It has a lot of great games that I'm sure a lot of people didn't play because they didn't get the console.  Doesn't hurt giving them a second chance a more successful platform if they can manage it especially when most of the work is already done.  I'd just like to see them dip into some of the games that weren't already relatively big successes on the platform like Tokyo MIrage Sessions, for instance.  So far much of what they're bringing over were already established successes.

Nintendo's just porting their Wii U games to Switch like they've already been doing and have officially said they'll continue to do. I think it's worth remembering that this doesn't really stop them from making a new 2D Mario on Switch if they wanted to later down the line.

Like I get not personally caring for this and preferring a new game, but this'll still be great for others who've not played it yet.

A complete New Super Mario Bros. collection on Switch would be amazing but I feel like that might be asking for too much from Nintendo.

No, they're just giving people even less of a reason to buy a Wii U. They're hurting the franchise by excess re-releasing, not helping it.  It's "great" just as much as emulating is great.

And for the record, this is the longest drought we have had of a new NSMB game in the history of the franchise.  We had new games in 2006, 2009, and 2012. Unlike Mario Kart which has had more recent and consistent releases, now is NOT the time to be re-re-releasing for NSMB.

If that wasn't reason enough, even the name "NSMBU" wouldn't even make sense because it'd be on the wrong system. If they're going to rebrand the name, they can rebrand the game. New levels and characters at least.

Edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan

I don't know how else to explain that simply releasing the game again on a more viable platform for more players to experience is only a good thing. Nintendo isn't interested in selling the Wii U anymore. I figure there probably would be some additional content and changes like the other Switch ports.

It isn't a good thing because of brand saturation. Unless they plan to kill off the NSMB series, re-re-releasing the Wii U game pretty much kills any possibility of an actually new game anytime soon.  

Sometimes video games are more than numbers and dollars and need to be in order to earn numbers and dollars. From a financial standpoint, NSMBU Switch would equate to short-term returns at the loss of long-term larger profits. As past Mario games have consistently shown, especially on Wii and DS, a series title that has a second game on the same system always sells for less (Mario Galaxy, Mario & Sonic, etc.).

A port instead of a new game is a bad idea all-around not just for Nintendo but for consumers: the people who didn't want to play it enough to buy a Wii U would be getting a stale game, while people who already bought it aren't getting anything new and most likely won't buy. It's lazy corporate planning and sabotages a future actual Switch release (the only thing they COULD do is re-re-release the Wii U game AFTER the new title). Less is sometimes more; I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan
3 minutes ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

It isn't a good thing because of brand saturation. Unless they plan to kill off the NSMB series, re-re-releasing the Wii U game pretty much kills any possibility of an actually new game anytime soon.  

Sometimes video games are more than numbers and dollars and need to be in order to earn numbers and dollars. From a financial standpoint, NSMBU would equate to short-term returns at the loss of long-term larger profits. As past Mario games have consistently shown, especially on Wii and DS, a series title that has a second game on the same system always sells for less (Mario Galaxy, Mario & Sonic, etc.).

A port instead of a new game is a bad idea all-around not just for Nintendo but for consumers: the people who didn't want to play it enough to buy a Wii U would be getting a stale game, while people who already bought it aren't getting anything new and most likely won't buy. It's lazy corporate planning and sabotages a future actual Switch release (the only thing they COULD do is re-re-release the Wii U game AFTER the new title). Less is sometimes more; I don't know how else to explain it to you.

First off, Nintendo probably considers Super Mario Maker to be part of the 2D series, so it hasn't been THAT long since the last 2D Mario.

Past that, as a port this isn't stealing any resources or ideas away from the next NSMB game. You have a good point that it probably means pushing back the next release due to market saturation, but... that didn't stop Nintendo from releasing NSMB2 and NSMBU just a few months apart.

So either:

* There's no NSMB game coming in the next couple of years, so this is a stopgap

* Or Nintendo is being Nintendo, but NSMB Switch will push 50 million copies anyway because it's a Mario game

I don't get why people are so upset about this port???

I guess I generally feel Wii U to Switch ports are good things. The Switch is already more successful than the Wii U that a Switch port is the only way people can access the game; how many more people experienced Mario Kart 8 just because deluxe existed? And you're being facetious if you think the development time spent on ports is anywhere enough to make a new game. Doubly so for NSMB, where getting the NSMB engine working on Switch (assuming they reuse assets like they always do) is a cornerstone away from a NSMB U port that they might as well just do it. 

Like, if you don't like this game personally, that's fine--but at least appreciate for some people this port will be their first opportunity to play NSMB U and it requires very little effort on Nintendo's part and like... that's a good thing? I think? 

9 hours ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

No, they're just giving people even less of a reason to buy a Wii U. They're hurting the franchise by excess re-releasing, not helping it.  It's "great" just as much as emulating is great.

And for the record, this is the longest drought we have had of a new NSMB game in the history of the franchise.  We had new games in 2006, 2009, and 2012. Unlike Mario Kart which has had more recent and consistent releases, now is NOT the time to be re-re-releasing for NSMB.

If that wasn't reason enough, even the name "NSMBU" wouldn't even make sense because it'd be on the wrong system. If they're going to rebrand the name, they can rebrand the game. New levels and characters at least.

Giving people less of a reason to buy a Wii U? The Wii U isn't even in production anymore.

3 hours ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

Brand saturation has been an argument for the longest time when it comes to Mario games.  This was especially true during the Gamecube days when people felt Nintendo relied on Mario too much and yet during the Wii's golden years when there were Mario games out the wazoo nearly every single one of those titles were million sellers or higher despite with each new title the brand was all over that system.  The notion that porting over NSMBU/NSLU would kill the possibility of a new game in that entry (or some other approach) isn't really based on anything and that's assuming that this rumor comes to fruition.

Sometimes video games are more than numbers and dollars and need to be in order to earn numbers and dollars. From a financial standpoint, NSMBU Switch would equate to short-term returns at the loss of long-term larger profits. As past Mario games have consistently shown, especially on Wii and DS, a series title that has a second game on the same system always sells for less (Mario Galaxy, Mario & Sonic, etc.).

The games themselves may have sold less but in the bigger scheme of the platform's ecosystem those systems were better off having those sequels than not.  Wii alone had multiple Mario titles and nearly all of them were million sellers and higher.  In terms of traditional Mario titles, it was better off having Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii rather than not having those titles. Super Mario Galaxy launched in 2007, NSBMWii in 2009 and less than seven months after that Super Mario Galaxy 2 and all of those titles were multi million sellers with the lowest, Super Mario Galaxy having sold well ahead of 6 million units.  You're right, sometimes video games are more than numbers and dollars and that should be recognized in order to earn numbers and dollars later, but that viewpoint isn't nearly as narrow as you're painting it out to be judging from your "from a financial standpoint" assessment.

Having that port is much better than not having it as Chrom has been suggesting and the reason being is that it's yet another title that Switch owners can have access to.  If they already own the game on Wii U and choose not to buy it again (as many have done with respect to MK8Deluxe) then not having the game around wouldn't have change anything anyway.  But for those gamers who do take an interest in it then it's better having that option if possible than not.  Going back to your financial standpoint remark previously it stands to reason that the creation of a brand new game would be far more expensive than transferring a title where minimal work would be needed to make it available.  And throughout it all there's nothing saying that a new title that come around eventually.  After all, the Bayonetta 1+2 collection came to Switch and we're still expecting Bayonetta 3.

On the topic of the name: Yeah, it'd be kind of weird to still call it New Super Mario Bros. U if it were released on Switch, but honestly I'm not sure they have a better choice. I mean, what would they call it instead that wouldn't easily mistake it for a completely new game? I feel like they would be better off keeping the U in the title to help distinguish that it's still the Wii U game.

It's not a new game, it's a port.  If they want to re-re-release the port after a proper game then that's fine, but otherwise it will only hurt the brand.  The GCN Mario games, and Mario games in general, do not saturate because they were quality games, NEW games.  Another NSMBU would be a huge blunder on Nintendo's part unless they have it as a DL-only after a proper Switch release comes out.  The profit-to-overhead ratio is so much higher in investing a little creative effort on a brand new game than a re-re-released one because the audience pool would then be all-inclusive, including ALL consumers, even past NSMBU owners.

Super Mario Maker and NSMB are entirely separate.  Just because it contains elements of NSMB, like SMW and SMB3, doesn't make it a new NSMB game.

Geez, didn't think this Chrom needed the forum cavalry to support his flimsy reasoning. It wouldn't sell more on Switch. But even if it did, for the sake of the argument, Nintendo is shooting itself in the foot by undercutting sales of an actual new NSMB Switch game, which would sell exponentially more than a rehash.  Why undergo the production costs twice, or even once, supplanting a more cost-effective option (NSMB Switch) for a lesser one (NNSMBU)?  The best solution is to offer a brand new NSMB Switch game, then later provide a DL-only NSMBU game for Switch. Game set match.