Your experience with camping

Eliwoodman12

This past weekend I camped for the first time. Not sure why I haven't done this earlier but finally got to go with a group of people. The weather wasn't the greatest but made the best out of it. Not sure I would go back right away, but may go another time at a different location. How about you guys, have you gone camping before? Did you like it or not?

Btw, sitting around by the fire weirdly made me reminisce about Camp Hyrule and that flash game where you had to cook the marshmallow without killing it. Man do I miss Camp Hyrule lol.

i watched yuru camp, does that count?

in all honesty i've never been camping but i have had the STRONGEST urge to go hang out with nature lately its like all i can think about 

my brother has gone a few times but i was never allowed because it was a 'guy thing' theydonothing; 

Went camping the summer after 8th grade with my best friend who I had known since 1st grade and and another I had known since 6th. It was at Ichetucknee Springs here in Florida so there was no shortage of things to do throughout the day.  Although we usually just hung out at this huge spring fed lake called Blue Hole. When it's sunny the place is friggin amazing and the water is just a clear deep blue.  I was always afraid of swimming out to the middle of the lake where the spring was on the off chance (which would never happen) that the polarity of the spring might change and instead of pushing water out it would suck water in and me with it XD.  Otherwise, we would just grab some tubes and float down the lazy river and talk about memories and about what we were all doing for high school.  At night we would help get things ready and then we sat around the campfire roasting marshmallows and talking about any random thing that came to mind.  On the last day we took a longer than expected trip to all the points of interest we did during previous days and "missed" the clean up of taking down the tents, cleaning up the area and packing so my best friend's brother made us do 20 push ups and carry all the equipment to the cars ourselves to make up for it.

Good times, gooooooood tiiiiimes! ^_^

Haven't in a while, but when I was in Boy Scouts, my troop occasionally went to some campground to learn different kinds of stuff. And, one year or so, the usual meeting place took place in some kind of plains that I'm sure we had some campfires. One of my friends who was in Boy Scouts actually got married this summer too. 

And, although I don't think it was camping, my family and friends went to a lake, because they mostly went water-skiing or boating. I actually have a real precious memory of that trip because I think I was planning on going to the restroom while I was walking on some concrete in the midst of some tall "forest" trees. I vividly remember playing Pokemon Red, and the current location I was in the game was... Viridian Forest. That's why that game is my favorite of all time. Only one game like that reminds me a day long gone by, and I never beat it until some years ago in my young adulthood.  

Although there is a horrible situation which has alerted me not to camp any time soon around the place I reside, maybe when I'm older I'll appreciate the finer points of camping again. 

4 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

This past weekend I camped for the first time. Not sure why I haven't done this earlier but finally got to go with a group of people. The weather wasn't the greatest but made the best out of it. Not sure I would go back right away, but may go another time at a different location. How about you guys, have you gone camping before? Did you like it or not?

Btw, sitting around by the fire weirdly made me reminisce about Camp Hyrule and that flash game where you had to cook the marshmallow without killing it. Man do I miss Camp Hyrule lol.

Tent or camper?

Beach, mountains, or other?

Camping offers a freedom you don't get hotelling it on a trip.  Picking a good campsite is key, fun stuff to do on site and try to make it centrally located to the other stuff you want to do.  Quality of bathhouses is also key.  Also, always prepare based on the weather.

I like camping but don't get the chance to do as much mountain camping as I'd like and beach camping is fun, but prepare yourself for the heat wherever you are.  I'm about 90m-2.5hrs from two different beach sites I like to use and conversely, to mountain camp, I'd be between 4-6hrs away from those.

19 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Tent or camper?

Beach, mountains, or other?

Camping offers a freedom you don't get hotelling it on a trip.  Picking a good campsite is key, fun stuff to do on site and try to make it centrally located to the other stuff you want to do.  Quality of bathhouses is also key.  Also, always prepare based on the weather.

I like camping but don't get the chance to do as much mountain camping as I'd like and beach camping is fun, but prepare yourself for the heat wherever you are.  I'm about 90m-2.5hrs from two different beach sites I like to use and conversely, to mountain camp, I'd be between 4-6hrs away from those.

Tent and it was in a state park. It wasn't packed but there were people pretty much all around our spot. I honestly wanted to try the beach, but maybe next time. I was only an hour away from home. Figure just keep it simple for the first time. Bathhouses were pretty clean.

Camping is one of my favorite things! Like you, I don't think I could camp all the time, too attached to my comforts and my technology. But camping is such a release for me, I love nature and I love being alone with friends/family with no distractions. In recent years, I've actually been more into backpacking than camping. Backpacking feels like more of an escape because you don't have the comforts of your car tempting you and you really feel like you're out there connected to nature. I like doing a hike out to a spot, then spending the night there and using the next day to chill and explore the area around where we stopped before heading back on the third day. 

If anyone is on the east coast of the US, the Grayson Highlands near the border of NC and Virginia are my absolute favorite spot!

Love it! The homies and I go backpacking every few months when our schedules allow and it's always a great time. I'm still a novice when it comes to backpacking but there really is something special about getting out into nature and just leaving the real world behind for a bit.

My uncle and aunt took me once camping it was fine ,but not sure if it was  camping since there was a restroom and shower next to the the camp ,I did sleep in a tent and eat marshmellos though. The other thing I did was fish in the middle of the night and was in a boat.My might have done other things ,but can't remember what else.

Edited by WING-X

I've gone backpacking with one of my highschool teachers and some classmates. As someone who'd never done camping before, imagine my surprise when everyone is sprawling out their sleeping bags out the open upon arriving to the campsite. "Aren't we going to use the tents?" "lolno." "... Cool. I hope a bear doesn't eat me."

5 years ago I went camping twice. It was pretty fun, and something I'd like to do again in the near future. There's countless places to go camping in Washington, and I just consider renting an RV whenever I feel like doing it again.

Camp Hyrule was a very fun experience, at least the first few years I did it. 

You signed up through Nsider and they split everyone into 9 cabins or so, aka 9 forums. Only you could access/read your own forum/cabin.

Throughout the day there were tasks everyone had to complete to rack up points, such as playing games like the marshmallow one I mentioned. 

I remember back in 2004, I was placed in the cabin that came in first place. It was pretty cool having an exclusive forum and chatting late at night about the plan to win the whole thing. Was also paired with a few friends I made on Nsider. All they gave out the first year was just a sig that said first place. Anyone could have taken it and used it really. It wasn't until 2005 I believe that they started giving out physical prizes such as shirts to the cabin winner. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the first place cabin for 2005 or 2006. 

They also had the amphitheater, which was a live chat where everyone could come and watch the NOAs talk. They hosted the closing ceremonies where they gave out awards including a physical prize like the life sized Link statue I believe to go with the release of Twilight Princess. 2006, they had a space theme to go with Mario Galaxy, even though the game wouldn't be released for another year. 2007 there were no cabins or anything. It was just an interactive map open to anyone to play mini games. There was nothing to it and there was no need to sign up for Camp Hyrule to see the map. I guess that was a sign of what was to come just a month or so later as Nsider would be closing down.

Crazy how I remember most of that. But it was so short and sweet that it's still memorable all these years to me. Man do I wish forums were still a thing on the internet.