Filip Muicin (Nintendo editor) got the axe at IGN

I saw some youtuber a few days ago bring up something he came across or was sent info on about Filip "allegedly" plagiarizing a youtube review for the game Dead Cells.  From what I played of his video it was pretty darn close...

Anyway, when I went to watch the latest episode of NVC (IGN's weekly Nintendo show that airs live on Thursdays but hits youtube on Friday) they mentioned at the beginning that he had been fired.

He put up a response I guess today about the situation

https://twitter.com/filipmiucin  

Kind of crazy about the whole thing and I don't think he had been there a year yet....

2 hours ago, Chrom said:

Not watching the video response but one quick look at the comments to it on Twitter give me a pretty good idea that it's not a very good one.

I listened to a little bit of it....  ehh.... I had to turn it off .....something about it.... just didn't feel right.

I was not personally his biggest fan when arrived at IGN.  Some of his lacking background in Nintendo system and games playing made me weary and he never really had that presence like other hosts prior had had.... not sure if it was show chemistry that made him the odd man out in their podcasts or him himself.  I don't see it as a big loss for them and it actually could put in for an improvement on how that show goes.

Yeah, I heard about this earlier this week before he officially got fired and that comparison video was pretty damning. When you're working in the media, especially journalism, plagiarism of any kind is a big no-no. He knew what he was doing and did he really think he'd not get caught, because it was a smaller YT ch.? I thought it was kind of odd that they hired a YouTuber to be the head Nintendo editor instead of someone who has been in gaming journalism or someone already working at IGN (Wait! Was Filip actually head Ninty editor? Guess I just assumed that, since he took Jose Otero's spot as host on the NVC podcast after he left for NOA.). I thought the guy was fine, but in the back of my I mind felt something was a little off about him. Now this happens...Huh. Well, you fucked-up big time, buddy, and ruined a great opportunity. Yeah, he's most likely not going to ever get another job in gaming journalism or any kind of journalism, but hopefully he can find some kind of job.

Nice to see IGN was on top of this and gave him what he deserved, instead of try to sweep it under the rug (seems like something IGN would do).

Edited by alienboyva

That response of his lacks perhaps the most basic thing necessary: an apology to Boomstick.

He apologizes to IGN and Motion Twin. That's telling: he's trying not to burn bridges within the industry. But without an apology to Boomstick- and wishing someone "best wishes" is not an apology- he doesn't actually come off as apologetic.

IGN is not the victim here. Motion Twin is not the victim here. Filip isn't the victim here: the person he plagiarized is.

And he can't even acknowledge that: this response is more about Filip promoting Filip than Filip apologizing to Boomstick.

I'd also note that while I didn't see an advertisement before his response, I saw Youtube comments stating it was monetized, which is just bad form. He's trying to make a quick buck off this controversy and Boomstick's back, which sucks.

I've read a bit about this since it started cropping up and man that's just bad form. Gotta admit, the first example or two in Boomstick's video didn't convince me a whole lot even though I did raise an eyebrow, but just about every single one after that was just too on the money.  The phrasing save for a few words here and there was almost completely 1:1.  I haven't kept up with IGN in a long time and in fact the last big piece of news regarding their staff that I remember was Jose Otero going to NoA and I only knew that in passing via a thread on Resetera.  I had no idea their Nintendo staffing had gone down so much.

3 hours ago, Kezay said:

I've read a bit about this since it started cropping up and man that's just bad form. Gotta admit, the first example or two in Boomstick's video didn't convince me a whole lot even though I did raise an eyebrow, but just about every single one after that was just too on the money.  The phrasing save for a few words here and there was almost completely 1:1.  I haven't kept up with IGN in a long time and in fact the last big piece of news regarding their staff that I remember was Jose Otero going to NoA and I only knew that in passing via a thread on Resetera.  I had no idea their Nintendo staffing had gone down so much.

I wouldn't say their staffing has gone down for Nintendo games.  They had been at one for a while.  They usually just have one main guy per system or whatever.  Their NVC podcast though is usually a pretty good round table with the Nintendo editor, Peer, and two others.  I mainly like listening to their podcast for Nintendo commentary and discussion.

4 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I wouldn't say their staffing has gone down for Nintendo games.  They had been at one for a while.  They usually just have one main guy per system or whatever.  Their NVC podcast though is usually a pretty good round table with the Nintendo editor, Peer, and two others.  I mainly like listening to their podcast for Nintendo commentary and discussion.

Ah, I wasn't sure.  I guess I was still kind of assuming they had a larger group managing the channel like back in the day with people like Matt Casamassina, Mark Bozon, Juan Castro, Craig Harris and so on and so forth.

Edited by Kezay

The video of his was taken down yesterday.

I watched it before it went down. Tho he sort explained there's no excuse for what he did, he did not specify why he did it nor did he outright apologize to the youtuber. He only said to stop bashing IGN and just said the youtuber to keep doing what he doing, he can relate as small youtuber just doing your thing. He also mentions, that he did youtube and getting a job IGN wasn't about the money, he went all about to go after his dream.

That probably the most genuine thing he said in the video. I'm actually subscribes to this before he was hired with IGN, through another youtuber I subscribed to who recommended him. So because of that I know him a little before and now after with this incident.

What I like out of all of this that was mentioned in the video and I don't know if its true is that is family were berated for his actions and says they have nothing to do with the incident and to leave them out of this.

That is so stupid, why is it when somebody does something bad, they go above and beyond pester folks who have nothing to do with the incident that is so low and I don't respect that if this in fact is true.

Yeah, that's all I wanted to say about this.

This has taken an interesting turn:

Filip has deleted his response video and issuing copyright strikes against users who re-upload it.

That's one of the worst moves he can make in this situation. 

You know how they say the cover-up is worse than the crime? The crime was bad here, and he's just finding ways to make it worse. 

I also didn't know this but when I said he never got into this line of work for the money the ironic thing is he setup that video with monetization.

So for him to put out copyright strike for anyone re-uploading the video is beyond slimy.

More and more I wonder how he think the internet works, apologies and the meaning of responsibility and plagiarism.

This guys makes hard to sympathize with him when he keeps doing theses dumb things like this and digging a bigger hole for himself.

Edited by DLurkster

Oh, damn!...There's more? Well, I can't say I'm too surprised. -_-'  Geez, I'm starting feel bad for IGN now. I know how much the internet loves to hate on them and they really don't need another reason to, but now IGN is forever going to be know for hiring that guy who plagiarized all his work. It's gonna to be hard for people to take them seriously now. :( Filip didn't just royally screw himself, but IGN as well, which the damage done to them could be irreversible. Way to go asshole!!

Man, this just seems to get worse everyday. Nobody is ever going to take this guy seriously and it's most likely going to be hard for him to get a decent job with all this on his record (It's not like he can go back to YouTube). Seriously, he should just some time away from the internet, but before leaving should issue a actual proper apology video to Boomstick Gaming & IGN...And not fucking monetize it!!! 

Still, it makes me wonder why he did this? Is it really that hard for someone to form their own opinions about things? Maybe the workload was too much for him to handle and he couldn't finish games and/or reviews on time?

Edited by alienboyva

It's insane how deep this rabbit hole may have gone.  I don't blame IGN at all for pretty  much going scorched earth on nearly everything Muicin touched considering how so much of his work is being found to have potentially been derived or lifted wholesale from other sources.  The initial Dead Cells review was bad enough but something like this pretty much paints him as a high risk liability for any job or career path in which he ha to manage any kind of critical or editorial role. I almost wonder that if he never challenged anyone to find more examples of work he may have pillaged would things have gotten this far. He basically tied himself up to his own pyre and burned himself at the stake.

That's the thing you never challenge internet (in general too) when claims of tabuu in the journalism world is the worst when there's no going back or hiding once more proof comes to the surface. Like he brought this on himself and I have to believe the stuff being found is not kick while he's at his lowest, it just discover the truth, the origin and how far does this go with him. Most are probably finding this stuff to demean and what he claims his family (please stop harassing the guys family not cool)

But yeah, like I said he brought this upon himself. He was sure his way writing reviews is the way it should be done looking at other resources and then forming his opinion. That's straight from his response video. I think somewhere he deluded himself to think this okay and why are seeing so much of his previous work is plagiarized, add to the fact that he was so confident to issue that challenge. Those are the only two reasons why I think he what he did and issue a challenge to see if there's anymore where that came for.  So I think at this point we should not be surprise any review he produce is not his own, not to add in the fact with IGN will be looked at disdain but as we can might imagine, it is not easy as it seems to work at IGN. So add that fact of pressure on this guy and his now reveal penchant for plagiarism, all this makes sense but is not right.

This video here from DreamcastGuy explains all this pressure and why he might went this path and got just got caught this time.

You can see how torn he is for his friend angry and sad at the same time, especially when he thought he really knew despite getting this dream job the pressure of the job.

This isn't the YouTuber I mentioned earlier in this thread where I first heard of Filip, it was from SpawnWave. He and Filip were small time around before the launch of the Switch he is the one that said check out this guys channel, I did and subscribe to him and thought he had a lot passion for Nintendo and was cool But like DCG, you never really know someone, huh?

Oh yeah just like DCG, SpawnWave his friends with Filip but unlike DCG he did not speak often with Filip often to really know what he had to endure at IGN.

Nonetheless, regardless how you feel, where we see news of him still popping up. I just don't how he can turn this around, even doing proper apology now or down the road. I don't think anyone will take him seriously or how he can come back in the industry in another.

Wishing him all the best in what he might pursue next cause he really is gonna need it.

I actually think people would've continued scrutinizing his other works and discovered it all anyway, but I imagine provoking Schreier did help speed things up. The way I see it, it makes a lot of sense for an individual who would be caught plagiarizing in a professional field to have not been an isolated incident, since that is a behavior that always first develops at an early age and would persist if not dealt with properly. The simple fact that his response video reflected very poorly on him and spelled out that he didn't believe he was at fault for anything would say just as much that he very likely had more dirt on him.

Hold up, wait a minute?!?

Mans, actually copy and paste a job template from a website on his Linkedin proflie. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK WITH THIS GUY, THE FUCK?!?

How is this real right now, not that it is not possible but this is for real?!?

How much worse can this get, I think there's still more to come.

Seriously this guy couldn't make a genuine resume for himself. How far does this go back if something like this was copied?!?