Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kezay

Nintendo Q2 Hardware/Software Sales

Recommended Posts

Hardware Data

Switch Software Data

N3DS Software Data

 

Nintendo recently released their 2nd quarter earnings and below are the updated lifetime sales for top ten selling software on Switch and 3DS.

 

Nintendo Switch Hardware -19.67M

 

Super Mario Odyssey - 11.17M

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 10.35M

TLoZ Breath of the Wild - 9.32M

Splatoon 2 - 6.76M

1-2-Switch - 2.45M

ARMS - 2.01M

Kirby Star Allies - 1.89M

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 1.42M

DKC Tropical Freeze - 1.40M

Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38M

 

Nintendo 3DS Hardware - 72.89M

 

Mario Kart 7 - 17.21M

Pokemon X/Y - 16.31M

Pokemon Sun/Moon - 16.12M

Pokemon OR/AS - 14.10M

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 12.70M

Super Mario 3D Land - 12.12M

Animal Crossing New Leaf - 11.78M

Super Smash Bros. 3DS - 9.30M

Pokemon US/UM - 7.72M

Tomodachi Life - 6.25M

 

Share this post


Link to post

Dang, I didn't realize Odyssey and MK8 Deluxe had an over 50% attach rate, that's awesome. And Mario Tennis Aces already cracking a million, that's crazy.

Share this post


Link to post

The attach rate on Odyssey and MK8 is pretty nuts.  While not quite at the same level Breath of the Wild did very well, too. Also, if you combine MK8 with MK8Deluxe you could say MK8 sold nearly 19M units in total.  Breath of the Wild too if you count the last known count from the Wii U version (1.5M) that puts BotW's total at over 10M.

 

I don't remember how much DKC Tropical Freeze did on Wii U but Switch still had a great result for it and I'm glad to see Xenoblade 2 is still putting in work.  I really hope that while we wait for MonolithSoft's next game that they port Xenoblade Chronicles X to Switch, too.

Share this post


Link to post

This is basically a follow up article to their first one but it brings up a point none the less:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/the_us_trader_who_bet_usd400_million_against_nintendo_takes_huge_hit_as_stock_price_soars

 

 

The lack of major game announcements other than Smash has put Nintendo's stock price in a very up and down cycle post E3.  And honestly even Nintendo fans are like Smash is cool but what else is coming, this can't be all?

 

I mean, I agree in that from release through December they but out One of the best Zelda games, one of the best Mario games, AND MK8DLX which is still doing incredible sales numbers... along with a pretty good string of 3rd party ports of the high end variety.  This year, through now, really hasn't given off that vibe and it does kind of feel like Nintendo blew their wad in Year 1 to get the systems sold and flying off the shelves.  The secondary thing that did happen though is the fact that Nindies and what not really also took off on the eShop so there is basically something strong for everyone, ever week to get.

 

I kind of almost wonder if they needed a year break ( this year) to get their other projects right and will be doing a lot of major stuff in 2019.  At this rate it feels like Nintendo themselves need to put out 3 AAA titles within a year to keep the momentum up.

 

One also has to wonder if the continued push back on the paid online release dat, lack of any viable details on how the service works, and the fact that most would consider a killer ap for it in Smash is not a launch window game for the service is bringing into question about will this thing even be worth its own time and money.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

This is basically a follow up article to their first one but it brings up a point none the less:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/the_us_trader_who_bet_usd400_million_against_nintendo_takes_huge_hit_as_stock_price_soars

 

 

The lack of major game announcements other than Smash has put Nintendo's stock price in a very up and down cycle post E3.  And honestly even Nintendo fans are like Smash is cool but what else is coming, this can't be all?

 

I mean, I agree in that from release through December they but out One of the best Zelda games, one of the best Mario games, AND MK8DLX which is still doing incredible sales numbers... along with a pretty good string of 3rd party ports of the high end variety.  This year, through now, really hasn't given off that vibe and it does kind of feel like Nintendo blew their wad in Year 1 to get the systems sold and flying off the shelves.  The secondary thing that did happen though is the fact that Nindies and what not really also took off on the eShop so there is basically something strong for everyone, ever week to get.

 

I kind of almost wonder if they needed a year break ( this year) to get their other projects right and will be doing a lot of major stuff in 2019.  At this rate it feels like Nintendo themselves need to put out 3 AAA titles within a year to keep the momentum up.

 

One also has to wonder if the continued push back on the paid online release dat, lack of any viable details on how the service works, and the fact that most would consider a killer ap for it in Smash is not a launch window game for the service is bringing into question about will this thing even be worth its own time and money.

That's kind of a reach compared to the article you linked to which was about someone betting against good earnings in the hopes that he would clean up on his "bet".  Yeah, Nintendo's stock has been in flux for a variety of reasons but the reason they guy lost his best is because for the most part Nintendo had a very good 2nd quarter.  Immediately after E3 there were questions about Nintendo's prospects for the remainder of the year but that's because they usually don't blow their load revealing all that they have planned ahead of time, a lot of companies don't.  So you're going to see fluctuations throughout the year on the back of numerous elements that come up throughout the year both as a result of what Nintendo has control over and what they may not have control over.  Smart investors make it a point to gather as much information as possible when making decisions but a lot of investors aren't very smart or rather don't put in due diligence when making the decisions that they do which often results in periodic wild swings or failed bets like the trader in the article is having to deal with.

 

That isn't to say that Nintendo is safe and sound because they posted a good 2nd quarter because as you've mentioned there are fans wondering what else is in store besides what they brought up at E3.  Now, by now because of Nintendo Direct  most Nintendo fans or gamers in general should know that E3 isn't Nintendo's roadmap for the remainder of their fiscal year and will reveal titles that weren't showcased at E3 that will fall within the current fiscal year and into the next.  But you can bet games like Smash and Pokemon will be their headliners and are big enough names with the kind of draw that investors in Nintendo can have that assurance that there is some potential for performance in what is usually a strong quarter.  Anything else is more or less supplemental to help them achieve their goals both for their quarterly and fiscal earnings report. That's why Nintendo is always talking about "stay tuned" for further information for additional information whether it be new software, applications like their upcoming online service and many other things.  There could be a variety of reasons as to why they're not ready to talk about these things which could be strategic as a result of difficulty or anything else.  Fact of the matter is, those decisions will have an effect on how investors will react and revealing what they have planned in such a way as to mitigate as much negative impact as possible is part of that.

Share this post


Link to post

Nintendo definitely stacked the Switch's first year with as much killer content as possible, but they had a lot to prove with the Switch (and in my opinion, they have). It would have been amazing to keep up that momentum through the second year, but it's not too surprising that it'd be somewhat of a lull, especially since most consoles see a much less concentrated release of high quality games in their first couple of years.

 

And I think it's easy for us, as avid Switch players, to look at the next five months of 1st party Nintendo titles and think "only Mario Party, Pokémon, and Smash?" But for the average player, Pokémon on Switch is going to be huge, Smash is always huge, and Mario Party is…well, Mario Party, but it's still going to sell super well I imagine. And since we were mostly all avid Wii U players too it's easy for us to write off the past six months as just a lot of ports, but for all the Switch owners that didn't play Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Captain Toad (and there are a lot of such owners, considering the ~6 million gap between the Wii U's sales and the Switch's) these are still really great games, even if they don't represent a push forward for Nintendo.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

I still thought that BoTW was the best selling game still, but either way all of these numbers are impressive!

Mario Kart and Super Mario Odyssey had been putting in work and overtook Zelda at least in the last quarterly earnings as well that I know of for sure.  It's surprising how fast SMO rose through the ranks to become #1, but BotW is definitely no slouch!

Share this post


Link to post

As expected with those numbers with BotW, MK8 and Odyssey. I'm just really shocked with Mario Tennis Aces, not at the reception because I think it was much better received than its entry (and we shall not speak its name) but at the time of month that they recorded those shipped worldwide is quite impressive. It's the same when Kirby Star Allies did similar number in a short time as well.

 

Like we know those title will sell but that many in such a short time is mighty impressive.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, purple_beard said:

What ppl will say otherwise is that PS4 sold the most by revenue because the PS4 is more than 4x more in prices so there's two way one can interpret how many hardware sold in June.

 

By units in the case of NES Classic or revenue  in the case of PS4. I like both console so imma go with units sold on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, DLurkster said:

As expected with those numbers with BotW, MK8 and Odyssey. I'm just really shocked with Mario Tennis Aces, not at the reception because I think it was much better received than its entry (and we shall not speak its name) but at the time of month that they recorded those shipped worldwide is quite impressive. It's the same when Kirby Star Allies did similar number in a short time as well.

 

Like we know those title will sell but that many in such a short time is mighty impressive.

What ppl will say otherwise is that PS4 sold the most by revenue because the PS4 is more than 4x more in prices so there's two way one can interpret how many hardware sold in June.

 

By units in the case of NES Classic or revenue  in the case of PS4. I like both console so imma go with units sold on this one.

 

By units and by revenue are too different but still fairly valid metrics to go by.  Just depends on what narrative you're trying to run with and how best it fits your reporting.  You'll sometimes see this with game rankings during the month depending on how the report was generated.  The top ten by revenue could be very different from the top ten by units if the software had multiple editions with a upward scaling price structure. In that case, limited run copies at higher prices would have quite a bit of influence on the rankings going by that metric.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Kezay said:

 

By units and by revenue are too different but still fairly valid metrics to go by.  Just depends on what narrative you're trying to run with and how best it fits your reporting.  You'll sometimes see this with game rankings during the month depending on how the report was generated.  The top ten by revenue could be very different from the top ten by units if the software had multiple editions with a upward scaling price structure. In that case, limited run copies at higher prices would have quite a bit of influence on the rankings going by that metric.

Ah, yes I recall this on a few occasions with some NPD months. This has happens sometimes with Nintendo and I recall this with Pokemon Ultra sun and Ultra moon. Other publishers is toss up that this happens to.

 

Narrative, I guess that makes sense but if this going most eyes on you for reporting purpose. Everybody loves the underdog so to me units sold seems like a rise to glory than something generating revenue. Despite me saying that, I still see the purpose of going my most revenue sold too just not so much as the units perspective

Edited by DLurkster

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Ah, yes I recall this on a few occasions with some NDP months. This has happens sometimes with Nintendo and I recall this with Pokemon Ultra sun and Ultra moon. Other publishers is toss up that this happens to.

 

Narrative, I guess that makes sense but if this going most eyes on you for reporting purpose. Everybody loves the underdog so to me units sold seems like a rise to glory than something generating revenue. Despite me saying that, I still see the purpose of going my most revenue sold too just not so much as the units perspective

I totally agree and units sold probably holds more impact to most people, anyway since that's usually how we see sales data reported.  The only time I ever see revenue reported outside of an interesting notated detail by NPD or ChartTrack in the UK is when individual platform holders use it as an additional metric to demonstrate how successful things were for them (kindof like how Sony and Microsoft both trumpet up the number of gained online service subscriptions for the period as well as total number).  Plus, seeing that generated revenue report probably speaks a lot more to investors since it's at least some representation of "real money" or some perceived value of the product(s)' success being represented in a form that speaks more to their vested interest in the company.  Especially since gaming budgets now can get so out of control now that a game could sell upwards of three million and have perfect scores across the board and still be considered a failure because hitting 3 million was still not enough to turn a sizable profit on the entire cost surrounding the project.  In that instance, the difference between 3 million copies sold or 180 million in revenue (assuming 3Mx$60[MSRP]) will speak more heavily towards some people than others.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I totally agree and units sold probably holds more impact to most people, anyway since that's usually how we see sales data reported.  The only time I ever see revenue reported outside of an interesting notated detail by NPD or ChartTrack in the UK is when individual platform holders use it as an additional metric to demonstrate how successful things were for them (kindof like how Sony and Microsoft both trumpet up the number of gained online service subscriptions for the period as well as total number).  Plus, seeing that generated revenue report probably speaks a lot more to investors since it's at least some representation of "real money" or some perceived value of the product(s)' success being represented in a form that speaks more to their vested interest in the company.  Especially since gaming budgets now can get so out of control now that a game could sell upwards of three million and have perfect scores across the board and still be considered a failure because hitting 3 million was still not enough to turn a sizable profit on the entire cost surrounding the project.  In that instance, the difference between 3 million copies sold or 180 million in revenue (assuming 3Mx$60[MSRP]) will speak more heavily towards some people than others.

Ah, yes I think this was a thing for Crash n-sane trilogy in the UK of June for the release of that game on Switch at the end of that month. To show that game sold more units when you combine all platforms that came out on.

 

I think it top the charts for good two weeks in the UK in July.

 

Ah, yes the investors don't care what these IP franchise are as long as they see big return investment by revenue. I forget that is the purpose of those reports but I guess they have their dual purpose depending how the narrative is spun.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×