Disney-Fox, "a done deal."

Terranort

EDIT: Thanks, Kezay, for some reason it didn't show up in the article on my end.

http://fortune.com/video/2018/07/25/the-disney-fox-mega-merger-is-a-done-deal/

Fortune said:

July 27 Disney and Fox shareholders are expected to come together to allow Disney's purchase of a large portion of Fox's film and television empire. At present, Disney is going forward as if this decision is already a done deal.  Below are a few details from the video:

- Purchase involves $71.3B in cash/stocks ($20B more than the initial Dec. offering of $52.4B due Comcast)

- Amazon and Netflix digital competition was in part a reason for this purchase

- Reduces no. of major Hollywood film studios from six to five

- 20th Century Fox Studios, FX Network, National Geographic, Fox's 30% stake in Hulu and 39% stake in Sky (EU)

- In order to ward off having a near monopoly i n sports broadcasting Disney will divest Fox's 22 regional sports networks

- Will add popular entries like Planet of the Apes, The Simpsons, Avatar (James Cameron), X-Men a nd more to Disney's portfolio

Edited by NOA_FUCKFACE

Fortune (Video) - Disney/Fox mega merger is a done deal

July 27 Disney and Fox shareholders are expected to come together to allow Disney's purchase of a large portion of Fox's film and television empire. At present, Disney is going forward as if this decision is already a done deal.  Below are a few details from the video:

- Purchase involves $71.3B in cash/stocks ($20B more than the initial Dec. offering of $52.4B due Comcast)

- Amazon and Netflix digital competition was in part a reason for this purchase

- Reduces no. of major Hollywood film studios from six to five

- 20th Century Fox Studios, FX Network, National Geographic, Fox's 30% stake in Hulu and 39% stake in Sky (EU)

- In order to ward off having a near monopoly in sports broadcasting Disney will divest Fox's 22 regional sports networks

- Will add popular entries like Planet of the Apes, The Simpsons, Avatar (James Cameron), X-Men and more to Disney's portfolio

*Feel free to edit this into your post NOA_FF

As a sports guy, I wonder if NBC and AT&T will want some of the RSNs that are in markets they dominate in like for Comcast, Fox Sports Detroit for example.

This is really interesting and with Fox set to end its current deal with the MLB after 2021, could NBC be a factor to take over over the air coverage? Makes you wonder...

Gotta love how some who claim to be anti-capitalism tend to act okay with this stuff happening because Disney “owned their childhood”.

I mean, they owned a certain chunk of my childhood too, but am way past having that certain soft spot for them with what they’ve been taking and becoming for awhile now. No one, especially something as controlling as Disney, should be allowed to have so many valuable properties under their thumb. No Infinity War memes or anything is gonna change how I feel about these dealings happening. Just ugh.

Wasn’t into Fantastic 4 that much, though I wanted the X-Men and by extension the mutant brand as a whole to be returned to their former glory, but it feels like the price is too high.

Edited by Ridley Prime
1 hour ago, Pichi said:

why can't disney just be a company that makes nice cartoons instead of dragging out copyright law ad infinitum and trying to establish some kind of media monarchy lol;

I don't care if they have a media monarchy I just want X-Men and Mutants in my MCU.

Edited by Marxforever

Too bad the X-Men still probably won’t have a good cartoon again since Marvel cartoons suck ass now, and whoever Disney finds to cast as mutants in the MCU, it’ll be pretty impossible to top some of the previous iconic casting choices like Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier, etc.

4 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Too bad the X-Men still probably won’t have a good cartoon again since Marvel cartoons suck ass now, and whoever Disney finds to cast as mutants in the MCU, it’ll be pretty impossible to top some of the previous iconic casting choices like Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier, etc.

At this point though, they'd almost have to introduce the X-Men into the MCU using new people. At best, we see them disband Avengers and let the ones that are "done" leave the franchise and retire their roles (except those heroes that have more than one person take up the mantle). Then reboot the X-Men and other characters, and have the New Avengers form for future crossovers.

So now it's just up to the DOJ and FTC (and any other agencies that deal in anti-trust and securities) to determine if this a go.  Though it gives Disney a lot of power in a lot of areas, to be honest, my selfish side just wants to see more Marvel under a single banner again.  There's so much they'll be able to add not just in the film category but also television and their "street level" shows on Netflix. (though I'm sure when they get their own streaming service going they'll migrate there in time...not looking forward to that)

33 minutes ago, Kezay said:

So now it's just up to the DOJ and FTC (and any other agencies that deal in anti-trust and securities) to determine if this a go.  Though it gives Disney a lot of power in a lot of areas, to be honest, my selfish side just wants to see more Marvel under a single banner again.  There's so much they'll be able to add not just in the film category but also television and their "street level" shows on Netflix. (though I'm sure when they get their own streaming service going they'll migrate there in time...not looking forward to that)

DOJ was the one that gave it the OK, provided Fox’s 22 regional sports networks get sold in 90 days as the only thing needed to be divested.

The deal needs approval from other countries and from a Bloomberg article I saw, China could be a problem given the current spat going on.

Edit: And here’s said article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-27/disney-investors-worry-beijing-could-be-tricky-fox-deal-hurdle

Edited by Fuzzer1
12 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Yeah, forgive me if I’m still not crazy on the idea of paying for another streaming service. It’s fine as it is with Netflix, but they’re greedy fucks, yadayada.

I'm not either. Separating all of the shows. $5-$7 a month per service adds up. Was thinking of going with CBS All Access and maybe Netflix (if I have to), maybe Hulu. But it depends. This is after my Directv ends. I like the selection of the 3 of them.