Nintendo Switch systems cracking?

Recently there have been quite a few reports of peoples Switch's cracking, mainly on the back...

I haven't noticed any cracks on mine. However, I've noticed mine makes a light creaking sound just right of the the USB port, if you put a little pressure on it. There isn't any signs of it starting to crack in that spot or anything. I assume there's something that's just slightly not 100% flush or whatever, since there's nothing noticeable with the naked eye.

I was gonna make thread about this but even tho I did not have to fear anyone here spinning the thread for the negative, I went against posting cause I feel with stuff like this it is easy to spin this for negative.

Watch this vid from Dreamcastguy.

He makes a good point that to this isn't to blow out proportion, how will the Switch fair 3-5 year down the road if the very few are experiencing year and some change after release.

I feel a revision to combat this is in order to circumvent to those who feel that this something to ease the minds of those who want feel Nintendo can be trusted when things go wrong, not matter how small it might be at present.

Philip Musen(sp?) of IGN had his warp on him.  He talked about it and showed at the beginning of last week's Nintendo Voice Chat.  I've noticed my JC slats are kind of "weak" but still feel solid but if I was playing a stressful game and was holding on tight a lot I'd be a little more worried.  I guess I could ask for some new JC mounts but who knows.

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Philip Musen(sp?) of IGN had his warp on him.  He talked about it and showed at the beginning of last week's Nintendo Voice Chat.  I've noticed my JC slats are kind of "weak" but still feel solid but if I was playing a stressful game and was holding on tight a lot I'd be a little more worried.  I guess I could ask for some new JC mounts but who knows.

Seems like his issue was do to the battery expanding from over charging and spiting the case, since he was always using the dock to capture footage. Still, surprised that this issue popped up so soon. Yeah, that's one thing I've been wondering with people who mostly play in docked mode...How long is that battery going to hold up? Makes me wonder if we'll seen a non-portable Switch similar to the PS Vita TV? Though, by the end of the Switch's lifespan, I can can totally see 3 Switch SKUs on the market. A revised cooler running Switch w/ dock, smaller portable only Switch, and non-portable Switch (similar to PS Vita TV).

12 hours ago, Punchy said:

High heat + poor ventilation in the doc = weakening of plastic

I heard combination of docked and undocked ventilation is what causing most of the weakening of plastic.

If you play dominating one mode and not play for long periods, you're probably not susceptible to crack. I say there's some truth to this because the system vent differently in both modes and one mode requires more venting than the other. So vying venting patterns for large amount of time might make the difference having cracked case or not.

I'd say I use my Switch 80% docked and 20% undocked. It would be more undocked but I rarely use tabletop or handheld at home. The times where I go out with my Switch is where I play in those modes and not for very long.

• Chrom featured this topic