Fixed EXP in Nintendo Multiplayer games

This is an aspect in video games I take issue with in general, but I don't understand why everything in an online game is grouped within a set reward. Splatoon 2 and more so ARMS have been my go to online multiplayer games on the Nintendo Switch and they both have the same problem of taking the reward out of higher performance. For instance, if my little brother has a 20+ splat game while his teammates have around 10 splats, he is still going to be getting the same amount of experience towards his level generally. With ARMS, I think a win by timer should count less than win by K.O., and I think 2 vs. 2 matches should offer more experience than a 1 vs. 1 given the tether mechanic and the possibility of a 1 vs. 2 situation. Having different efforts and situations judged the same in an experience system doesn't ruin a game for me, but it does get tiring during online events that are more of a grind i.e. a Splat Fest or an ARMS Party Crash.

What are your thoughts on experience systems in online games?

I gotta say, it's not something I've ever really thought about or even felt the need to question but I can see why it could be an issue.  But the way I see it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe having set EXP gains makes it easier to balance level progression? But in some circumstances maybe there should be a way a game can adjust it on the fly even if the point designation is still a set number for that condition.  For instance, with the ARMS example in 2v2 battles since there are things that can take place that would make for a greater effort in securing the win.

I never took issue with Splatoon's method because it's a team effort. People brag about high Splats but then don't actively try the objective (I get removing people from the field helps the objective, but I've seen a lot of high-number-Splatters just stand around when they could be helping.

I'm going to ignore the initial idea of level grinding in online games and locking content behind them being a fucking stupid idea in general for a moment here to rant.

Splatoon 2 has one of the worst leveling systems I've ever played with in an online game.  It reads like a shitty F2P game that I actually paid for.  You can grind out food tickets and hope you can level up faster, and turf war doesn't give you shit for experience in playing a game for 3 minutes.  Ranked gets you the most experience, but if you get KO'd you only get a time bonus for how long you lasted, 100 to 400 points, and not even any money.  Just at Lv 15 you require in the ballpark of 30k~ experience to level up, with that only increasing dramatically as the game goes on.  It's absolutely retarded to get 2.5k for completing the objective in the game mode and getting peanuts to absolutely nothing for losing a ranked game.  You either stall for 5 minutes so you can get less than 1k experience when you lose, but if you get KO'd 4 minutes in it means nothing.  It's disrespectful af of a player's time to lose or go on a losing streak and have nothing to show for it.  At least in something like Overwatch or League or even garbage like CoD, if I lose for 10 to 30 minutes, at least it still feels like I accomplished something.

Either way artificially padding a game out by locking content behind level grinding as an excuse to say "BUT WE NEED TO EASE PLAYERS INTO THE EXPERIENCE" is stupid in the first place.  I didn't like waiting into the 60s to unlock my Model 1887s in Modern Warfare 2, I don't like waiting until my 20s to unlock my e-liter.  It's a dated and stupid idea.

Edited by luca
5 minutes ago, luca said:

I'm going to ignore the initial idea of level grinding in online games and locking content behind them being a fucking stupid idea in general for a moment here to rant.

Splatoon 2 has one of the worst leveling systems I've ever played with in an online game.  It reads like a shitty F2P game that I actually paid for.  You can grind out food tickets and hope you can level up faster, and turf war doesn't give you shit for experience in playing a game for 3 minutes.  Ranked gets you the most experience, but if you get KO'd you only get a time bonus for how long you lasted, 100 to 400 points, and not even any money.  Just at Lv 15 you require in the ballpark of 30k~ experience to level up, with that only increasing dramatically as the game goes on.  It's absolutely retarded to get 2.5k for completing the objective in the game mode and getting peanuts to absolutely nothing for losing a ranked game.  You either stall for 5 minutes so you can get less than 1k experience when you lose, but if you get KO'd 4 minutes in it means nothing.  It's disrespectful af of a player's time to lose or go on a losing streak and have nothing to show for it.  At least in something like Overwatch or League or even garbage like CoD, if I lose for 10 to 30 minutes, at least it still feels like I accomplished something.

Either way artificially padding a game out by locking content behind level grinding as an excuse to say "BUT WE NEED TO EASE PLAYERS INTO THE EXPERIENCE" is stupid in the first place.  I didn't like waiting into the 60s to unlock my Model 1887s in Modern Warfare 2, I don't like waiting until my 20s to unlock my e-liter.  It's a dated and stupid idea.

You should play Friday the 13th, where you need like 200 hours to unlock weapon swapping for Jason or certain characters.

I agree with Steve; if it's a team-based game it makes sense that everyone on the team gets the same EXP, especially if you're trying to measure it by splats in Splatoon since there's no actual deathmatch mode and, while splatting the enemy is helpful, the goal of the game is based around another objective.

And I agree with luca; leveling in competitive multiplayer games was novel for about a minute until it became clear how restrictive it actually is, all in an effort to keep the player playing as much as possible. There's really no reason to restrict access to weapons based on player level. At the very least, if developers really want to do that, it shouldn't take days of playing a game to reach the requisite level.

Maybe because I only play Nintendo multiplayer games that I really had no issue what is brought up in this thread but hearing how this in comparison how online multiplayer game operate, Nintendo really do their darnest to be different in every way possible.

With that all said, I do see this issues to some about this but for now since this is what I know as expected fixed exp in multiplayer, I don't know who is right and who wrong for these kind cases with team based shared exp vs individualized experience handouts in others.

I don't think being team based should prevent a game from rewarding individual efforts. Splatoon 2 could work like Overwatch, where different stats are tracked depending on what role a player is filling. In Turf War, a Charger should probably be judged more for splats than say a Roller which should be judged more for ink coverage. There could be differences per game mode, such as whoever scores the most for a team gets extra experience in Clam Blitz. I do agree that the team should have a set win bonus experience, since it is the team that won, but I do think it would've been a more rewarding game if there was more consideration for what each player does considering objective and chosen weapon.

I forgot all about the level unlocks for weapons that @luca mentions. Every time there is a free weapon update for a weekend, I pretty much cannot use those new releases due to my current level since I just play Splatoon 2 occasionally.

During a Splatfest or for Salmon Run, is there a greater experience drop set for players? I know ARMS during its Party Crash events offers more experience if players use one of two specific ARMS and can earn even more experience if they stick around for the bonus events just before the bonus ARMS rotate. The game still has a set experience cap within those guidelines, but it does help the grind to have those opportunities for extra experience.

But in Overwatch everyone on the team gets the same EXP—it's just based on the length of the match. The only difference is the EXP you get from medals, which is pretty small, especially since generally everyone gets at least one medal.

As for Chargers vs. Rollers in inking turf during Turf War, well, that's just the nature of having different weapons, and hopefully players understand that. If anything I feel like this only supports the idea that everyone on the team should get the same EXP. Each weapon filled a different role but contributed to the overall win, and therefore everyone gets an even cut of the EXP.

And no, Splatfests don't give extra EXP unfortunately, unlike other games that occasionally have double EXP weekends. Of course, Splatoon has a built-in system for earning double EXP with food tickets, even though tickets can be rare to get.