Shooter presence on Switch without the big boys

One of the things I'm actually a bit surprised about is the lack of a CoD on Switch thus far and not just the lack of one existing but the lack of any kind of hint or suggestion that Activision is even thinking about it.  There's also Battlefield but with EA being EA when it comes to Nintendo... well, not much more needs to be said. While it makes sense that maybe timing of Switch release and Activision's access to development tools could have prevent any chance of a title appearing within the last year it's probably less so now to consider that possibility now.  But it's not just Call of Duty but the lack of any sign of some of the larger shooter titles finding a home on Switch in some fashion despite rumors and hearsay (like Overwatch) even since before Switch launched.

But in some measure we're still seeing shooters in other forms due in part to other publishers/developers big and small taking advantage of the opportunity being left on the table.  For example, thanks to Panic Button's work bringing over games like Doom and Wolfenstein II and last year Rebellion brought the remaster of Rogue Trooper to Switch as well. But then we're also seeing stuff like Morphies Law which is built around being a team based shooter, hero shooter style games like Paladins and even translations of mobile shooter titles like Modern Combat 5 which chases after that Call of Duty type of experience and Shadowgun Legends that attempts to emulate something closer to Destiny.

It's not much just yet, but it's good to know there are options out there to serve different tastes and experiences.

Even though Fortnite isn't as much of a shooter as the other titles you bring up, it got me thinking when playing the game a few nights back that there isn't many shooters for the Switch yet. After Fortnite, I went to get my shooter fix on by playing Splatoon 2's online mode. It cured the itch, but I do think there needs to be a variety.

I never played Overwatch, but would like to have it come to the Switch. Though like Punchy said, a lot of these games aren't made for the Switch engine in mind. Developers specifically make these shooters for Xbox/PS because that's where the shooter fanbase seems to be. 

But if I am a developer, I would look at how good the Switch is doing and how well games like Fortnite are doing. I would look at the current landscape of the Switch and I would honestly develop a shooter with the Switch in mind, even if it is a new IP or exclusive. They would have a chance of doing really well, as there isn't as much competition for the genre on the Switch currently.

I actually planned on listing Fortnite but it's more in the survival camp until someone decides Battle Royale should be its own genre or something.  I still think it applies but I just left it as is.  With that being said, it is funky that one of the more popular genres isn't really being visited by some of the bigger publishers out there.  I mean, if nothing else allow smaller development studios like Panic Button has been doing to bring over shooter titles that the actual publishers can't seem to be bothered with bringing.  That might be a tough sell through EA but Activision for a time pretty much put other studios to work to develop CoD for other platforms while their main studio(s) focused on the platforms that get more of the fanfare. I think that's one of the surprising things about Wolfenstein II when it was announced for Switch as it was created with PS4/XB1 in mind but was still able to be produced for Switch. It didn't really have that asterisk of an arguing point of being a potential pull over from the PS3/360 like what was often done when Skyrim and Doom were announced.

I mean, Activision did release CoD ports for the Wii and Wii U. Why not the Switch? My guess is that they were really dissatisfied with the sales and found it to not be worth it. Probably hesitant to try on Nintendo systems again which is a bummer. I mean even with EA we aren't getting a Madden still and that blows my mind.

For Wii U it's understandable although they didn't exactly jump out the box to really promote those games as much as they should have, also didn't help they were really late with post launch support at least with BLOPS2 (not sure about Ghosts or if it got any at all).  They pretty much reaped what they sowed there.  But they pretty much took a chance with the series on Wii and after it paid off they supported it with every CoD release that generation outside of Modern Warfare 2 which is pretty impressive all things considered.  There isn't even an attempt on Switch despite the success it has been seeing since launch.

Edited by Kezay

I think it's safe to say the dream is dead now far as having like Overwatch on the Switch, not that I would've played it on there that much anyway with everything I'd already invested on the the platform of choice I first got it on. Will hope at least that Doom Eternal later gets ported to the Switch like Doom 2016 since it seems to use the same engine, though I guess it depends on how the sales for Doom '16 on the Switch were.

16 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

I wouldn't hold out hope for CoD or Battlefield on Switch, but it'd be nice to see an original shooter made for the Switch, like The Conduit was for the Wii. Morphies Law might fit that bill, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the finished product is solid.

I remember anticipating The Conduit initially, but could tell after awhile that it was overhyped and average at best... Of course that was back when Halo was still big and people were desperate for a "Halo killer" to hype off of.

But still, I wouldn't mind another original shooter IP for Nintendo, now that you mention it. Splatoon is fun and all but didn't feel it was for me.

On 7/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, Eliwood8 said:

I wouldn't hold out hope for CoD or Battlefield on Switch, but it'd be nice to see an original shooter made for the Switch, like The Conduit was for the Wii. Morphies Law might fit that bill, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the finished product is solid.

I'd like to see that but we would probably need another dev that's as gung ho for this kind of thing on Switch like High Voltage was for Wii. I'm still a bit sore we never did get a conclusion to the madness that was Conduit 2's ending and that The Grinder just sorta slowly faded into vaporware.

• Chrom featured this topic

Hmmm...but the Switch already has a big boy, and he'll shoot/incinerate any gunman if you give him a Fire Flower...

584df6256a5ae41a83ddee0f.thumb.png.0d60619532b559cb7801c850fa59fc45.png

The inclusion of games like Fortnite, Splatoon and even Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle has given a pretty strong shooter presence on the system, even without relying on a crutch stolen from the hospital infinity ward.