Final day of Toys R Us set for next Friday

Fuzzer1

6 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

This is insane. Imagine in 20 years from now, all of these shopping plazas could potentially be empty ghost towns all because of Amazon and greedy corporates. I really feel bad our generation and generations to come. There simply won't be enough jobs out there for a good majority of the population if this keeps up.

It's kind of nuts. The world is changing but there's a lot of stores that probably won't survive it.  In the case of TRU and many other stores affected, vulture capitalism and the bag they were left holding was a big reason for the downfall. But even without that particular nasty element there will be stores that close down simply because they can't compete with the growth of online marketplaces. Between that and businesses attempting to find ways to automate a lot of entry level type work it's gonna be rough for future generations.  I remember reading an article not too long ago where a business was looking to automate their restaurant and in the interview they were asked how it will affect job positions available at that establishment.  The reply was that there will still be jobs available such as servicing the robots and the machinery but depending on what that entails there's no way someone trying to pick up a part time job for the summer is gonna be able to fill that position. Unless they're willing to provide that level of training at that level of employment.

18 hours ago, Kezay said:

It's kind of nuts. The world is changing but there's a lot of stores that probably won't survive it.  In the case of TRU and many other stores affected, vulture capitalism and the bag they were left holding was a big reason for the downfall. But even without that particular nasty element there will be stores that close down simply because they can't compete with the growth of online marketplaces. Between that and businesses attempting to find ways to automate a lot of entry level type work it's gonna be rough for future generations.  I remember reading an article not too long ago where a business was looking to automate their restaurant and in the interview they were asked how it will affect job positions available at that establishment.  The reply was that there will still be jobs available such as servicing the robots and the machinery but depending on what that entails there's no way someone trying to pick up a part time job for the summer is gonna be able to fill that position. Unless they're willing to provide that level of training at that level of employment.

For the people who say "well if Bain Capital or Blockbuster didn't do so and so, they would still be around," I say yes, but for how long? Let's say TRU wasn't in this much amount of debt, how long until it would close down anyways?

20 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

For the people who say "well if Bain Capital or Blockbuster didn't do so and so, they would still be around," I say yes, but for how long? Let's say TRU wasn't in this much amount of debt, how long until it would close down anyways?

True, but Toys R Us was kind of felled by factors that weight more heavily than their competition and shifts in market. Poor management is what brought down TRU to the point where vulture capitalists got their hands on the company in the first place.  And the arrangement that sprung from that created a situation that essentially put the company on borrowed time.  I'm fairly confident in the idea that if TRU wasn't in the situation that ultimately drowned it that it would stay have some years left in it.  How many?  I couldn't say, but the company was still doing good enough business despite some downtrending that if their debt load wasn't as massive they could have kept going for quite a bit longer.  I do think there is still space for  pure (more or less) toy store in the market that TRU's absence will be recognized as time goes on.  I would not be surprised to see some of the larger retailers like Wal Mart, Target, etc. start expanding their toy selections along with Amazon.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, alienboyva said:

Man, that message on their website... Right in the feels. T_T

Hide contents

dZ9s3TZ.jpg

I'm not sure if the message to "Don't ever grow up" is such a great one, especially in our generation where people never grow up anyway. And being a man-child isn't exactly attractive.

(To preempt any people who think my post is ironic because Mario is childish, I have a bridge to sell you. Mario appeals to everyone. I'll spare the essay, but a franchise doesn't need to be gory/racy to be considered "mature"; if anything , those elements only belie its puerility.)

Edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan
10 hours ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

I'm not sure if the message to "Don't ever grow up" is such a great one, especially in our generation where people never grow up anyway. And being a man-child isn't exactly attractive.

(To preempt any people who think my post is ironic because Mario is childish, I have a bridge to sell you. Mario appeals to everyone. I'll spare the essay, but a franchise doesn't need to be gory/racy to be considered "mature"; if anything , those elements only belie its puerility.)

Assuming you're just being tongue in cheek here, but if not I think it's more along the lines of being a kid at heart.

6 hours ago, Kezay said:

Assuming you're just being tongue in cheek here, but if not I think it's more along the lines of being a kid at heart.

Maybe, but they certainly could have worded it better.  As an advocate for personal development, hearing things like "Don't ever grow up!" makes me cringe.  It's sappy at best, manbaby at worst. They could have said "Always have a youthful spirit!" or "Never lose the curiosity and imagination of childhood!" or even "Be as responsible as an adult but as honest as a child!"  Maybe if they hired me for their PR slogans they wouldn't have gone out of business. :p

18 hours ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

this seems ironic coming from somebody who's been a caricature of an abrasive fanboy still posting on a dated social media platform for the past decade theydonothing;

also somebody name me a generation that's managed to grow up in an era of stubborn baby boomers who refuse to evolve their political ideals and papa johns-tier fossils who get upset that they have to sit next to a minority on the bus theydonothing;

25 minutes ago, luca said:

this seems ironic coming from somebody who's been a caricature of an abrasive fanboy still posting on a dated social media platform for the past decade theydonothing;

also somebody name me a generation that's managed to grow up in an era of stubborn baby boomers who refuse to evolve their political ideals and papa johns-tier fossils who get upset that they have to sit next to a minority on the bus theydonothing;

I'm surprised it took this long for a NS2 manchild loli troll to show up.  6b5.thumb.png.64f183d8c200f5fd187cc9bb5e298846.png

Edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan
9 minutes ago, ace said:

I think out of anyone here you are the least qualified to cal anyone manchild. 

remember when it was cool to stan for a corporation that wants nothing more than your money and to stigmatize and judge other people just because they have different preferences in entertainment platforms than you

man, shilling in those days actually meant something theydonothing;

3 hours ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

Maybe, but they certainly could have worded it better.  As an advocate for personal development, hearing things like "Don't ever grow up!" makes me cringe.  It's sappy at best, manbaby at worst. They could have said "Always have a youthful spirit!" or "Never lose the curiosity and imagination of childhood!" or even "Be as responsible as an adult but as honest as a child!"  Maybe if they hired me for their PR slogans they wouldn't have gone out of business. :p

Well for all intents and purposes they aren't exactly giving out life/professional advice here.  Don't get me wrong, I agree it could have been worded better but taking the context of what's there into account it's not something I think is meant to be taken literally.  Again, I'd imagine the vast majority of people will accept it the same way they do other "sayings" or idioms that fall along the lines of being a kid at heart. Besides, if you really want to get down to it the wording does fall in line with the most recognizable line of the song. "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid" and finally ending it all with "Don't ever grow up, play on!" It's all about the context in which it's derived I guess is what I'm getting at.

10 hours ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

I agree with your soliloquy. Now please go hug your underage dakimakura and leave us in peace.

Dont you have to go jerk off onto a Mario figurine or something? 

Oh wait. Pointless personal attacks are childish and unnecessary.  

Edited by ace
10 hours ago, luca said:

remember when it was cool to stan for a corporation that wants nothing more than your money and to stigmatize and judge other people just because they have different preferences in entertainment platforms than you

man, shilling in those days actually meant something theydonothing;

Also, don’t forget the personal attacks that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Entertainment preferences have so much to do with Toys R Us closing after all. 🤔

Edited by ace
14 hours ago, Kezay said:

Well for all intents and purposes they aren't exactly giving out life/professional advice here.  Don't get me wrong, I agree it could have been worded better but taking the context of what's there into account it's not something I think is meant to be taken literally.  Again, I'd imagine the vast majority of people will accept it the same way they do other "sayings" or idioms that fall along the lines of being a kid at heart. Besides, if you really want to get down to it the wording does fall in line with the most recognizable line of the song. "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid" and finally ending it all with "Don't ever grow up, play on!" It's all about the context in which it's derived I guess is what I'm getting at.

Fair enough, I'm not familiar enough with the history of TRU to understand what they were referencing. I just wouldn't want their message to be misconstrued. I still think it could have been worded better but I guess it's splitting hairs at this point.