Final day of Toys R Us set for next Friday

Fuzzer1

I bought some display pieces there which has Geoffrey on it. Funny because my local one that closed down a few months ago, they did the opposite. They would let us buy third party posters like Star Wars, Funko, but anything that said TRU on it had to be "destroyed."

I am planning on going a final time to the ones around me, just to see if there is anything good left. 

Hopefully a new toy store will come out of this. But the way the market is going, and reports on how Gamestop wants a buy out, we may never see one again.

6 hours ago, Kezay said:

It's gonna be bittersweet, that's for sure.

The store I'm at, I helped set it up when it was built back in 2008.  Seeing it turn back into a skeleton after nearly ten years is a sobering sight.

You started there when it went up as a new building?

WOW.

Only store I've worked at  that would be a similar case was my first job at Burger King.  Trained at an already existing one in town till the new one got built and then worked there for about 7+/- years.

17 hours ago, purple_beard said:

You started there when it went up as a new building?

WOW.

Only store I've worked at  that would be a similar case was my first job at Burger King.  Trained at an already existing one in town till the new one got built and then worked there for about 7+/- years.

The one I started at was a long established one that had been around since I was a kid.  Back when they still had the tickets/slips for video games.  That was just a standalone TRU though.  Two years after I started they built the one I currently work at which is a super side by side or basically a giant Toys R Us + Babies R Us store and staff from my store and one other were combined into that one while the two older stores in the area we all came from closed down.  We all helped set up the new store after all of the main construction was completed.

But like your BK example, it's kind of neat being able to work at a brand new start after it was just built.  Everything is just cleaner, brighter and more polished... until a few years pass XD jk

I have to say the original deal on what happened to TRU was insane when I read about it. They were bought out but the people didn't have enough money to cover so TRU had to cover the expenses? What was the CEO of TRU at the time thinking of signing that crazy deal? I also see that they were late to get into the tech craze as well as tablets and whatnot. 

14 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

I have to say the original deal on what happened to TRU was insane when I read about it. They were bought out but the people didn't have enough money to cover so TRU had to cover the expenses? What was the CEO of TRU at the time thinking of signing that crazy deal? I also see that they were late to get into the tech craze as well as tablets and whatnot. 

Well I think even before the buyout, TRU was having trouble. They fell behind to Walmart in toy sales in 1998. I kind of find that crazy to believe as I thought TRU did well in the 90s. But yeah pretty much Bain Capital didn't do anything once they bought the stocks. They pretty much got their money and TRU was left until the bankruptcy couldn't take anymore on. 

21 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Read that Party City is opening 50 pop up toy stores alongside Halloween City following the death of TRU. 

So I guess one store per state? Probably not, 50 really isn't that much but it's better than nothing. I wonder what their selection will be.

I'd be surprised if those stores turn out to be anything close to what even the older standalone TRU stores used to be.  It's good that they're going out there to fill a void but my expectation is that they may not be anything more than the little toy shops you see in malls or shopping strips.

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toys-r-us-20180625-story.html

Toys R Us ex-CEO is trying to reboot the company, sources say

It'll be interesting to see how far he goes. I kind of felt like the chances of TRU being resurrected went down the toilet after they refused the MGA Entertainment guy 2 or 3 times and each time he raised his bid by hundreds of millions of dollars to try for it.

41 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I'd be surprised if those stores turn out to be anything close to what even the older standalone TRU stores used to be.  It's good that they're going out there to fill a void but my expectation is that they may not be anything more than the little toy shops you see in malls or shopping strips.

It'll be interesting to see how far he goes. I kind of felt like the chances of TRU being resurrected went down the toilet after they refused the MGA Entertainment guy 2 or 3 times and each time he raised his bid by hundreds of millions of dollars to try for it.

Yea it will be. Here's to hoping for a better ending than what happened to KB Toys.

9 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

That's my feeling. If the MGA guy got rejected three times, then I am not sure how this other guy can get it done. Maybe if they get enough people they could make something happen. 

Yea, I really wish him well, but Toys R Us is owned by vulture capitalists who want to drain it to the last drop. So it would have to take a very high bid (in my opinion) to be able to get it out of their 'claws'.