GameStop is entering selloff talks

Just remembered something... only place that I've seen Origin cards lately are at Gamestops. Not at Walmarts or any where else. So it's not good for anyone who doesn't want to use credit card. So if Gamestop goes under, anyone like that would be sol.

What??? You mean I can't overpay for new games that have been opened, gutted and plastered with price stickers and are really just in worse condition than used games??

I will not mourn LameStop. I spit on their grave.

..The only thing I will miss GameStop for is going into their shop and taking all the Club Nintendo codes out of their "new" games.  Yeah, it was a smarmy move, but....

Capture.JPG.90135bd155dda13036273f721b6b005f.JPG

Edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan

A company I won't be sad to see go away. The only times I'd visit a Gamestop is due to convenience or wanting a niche game I wouldn't find anywhere else. It's become worse in recent years with it becoming a funko-pop repository.

As for the whole Physical & Digital conversation, going full-digital would be nice if prices would compete with physical prices. Having a PS4 now, almost all the games I want are less than $30 physically, while still sell full-price digitally or on sale with 25% off.

3 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

A company I won't be sad to see go away. The only times I'd visit a Gamestop is due to convenience or wanting a niche game I wouldn't find anywhere else. It's become worse in recent years with it becoming a funko-pop repository.

As for the whole Physical & Digital conversation, going full-digital would be nice if prices would compete with physical prices. Having a PS4 now, almost all the games I want are less than $30 physically, while still sell full-price digitally or on sale with 25% off.

Yea that's generally me as well. Main stores don't carry those games that often.

I'd do that too if systems offered plenty of data to store it. It's why I've preferred to get game via physical copy.

I saw this shit coming about 10 years ago and it has just finally come to fruition to where GS will probably be no more.  At this point, I see no way they are going to survive.  The company has a lot of internal problems and have for years.  The entire gaming industry is largely against their pre-owned selling practices due to the fact they  sell their used games at a premium more often than not, they take 100% of the profits, they pay no royalties, and they penalize gamers for buying new.  It is so bad that more and more developers want to go purely digital just so they don't have to deal with the used game market which is hurting their sales.  Then on top of that, GS employees are treated like utter shit, they don't like their job, they don't like most of their customers, they outright lie to their customers and it is encouraged by the company,  they are not helpful, and more often than not are total douche bags. 

The entire fucking company has created a toxic culture that in return has created sub-standard business practices.  Not to mention, they have refused to adapt, and people can bitch and whine about the  death of "brick and mortar" stores due to  e-commerce such as Amazon, but you either adapt or you fucking die.  That is just the way it has always been in business.  If you look at the companies that failed it is largely due to their resistance in changing or adapting to current market trends.  Sol lets take Circuit City, they went under due to a lot of internal problems and their business became irrelevant long before it should have.  Radio Shack was stuck back in the 1990s and never really changed, they were always just hanging on by  a thread in the 2000s and their own President flat out stated that he believed the only reason they managed to stay relevant going into the 2000s were all of their specialty adapters and electronics they sold that could not easily be gotten elsewhere.  Toys R Us  never truly changed their business practices from the 90s and only regressed. 

Some say Amazon is this evil corporation intentionally destroying local stores, the truth is they are just competing like hell with virtually everyone.  You have to compete and GS has been stubborn as fuck in that department.  Very few gamers give a fuck about pre-owned anymore because places like Amazon have been competing very hard.  That is not to include Best Buy (although they kind of shot themselves in the foot with gamers by axing the game membership program, and once mine expires I am largely done with them) and Walmart who have been doing sales, trying to make the deals sweeter with gaming to the point where most gamers would rather just get the shit from them anyways.  GS likes to sell everything at fucking MSRP, they have those bloated ass Collector's Editions that cost $100 and are exclusive to their stores and then were supposed to feel as if this is a bad thing?  HAHAHAHAHA (Cue Evil laugh) I am fucking happy that GS is going under and I hope in their place other companies see that "This is how you lose your business" and try to do much better.  GS totally deserves what the fuck they are getting and some might be sad for their employees losing their jobs, most of those employees are going to feel relieved to be out of that fucking place and hopefully can go somewhere better.

Yea they've pretty much fucked the company over. Lucked out with the one I go to, they shill sometimes, but the people working there haven't been assholes. That one I'll miss, but overall I won't miss it and I hope that the workers are able to find better work.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yea they've pretty much fucked the company over. Lucked out with the one I go to, they shill sometimes, but the people working there haven't been assholes. That one I'll miss, but overall I won't miss it and I hope that the workers are able to find better work.

It is all dependent on location of course but 9x out of 10 I have had very bad experiences with GS. To the point where I haven't bought a single game from them in over a year.  I tend to frequent this little place in Savannah called Planet Fun in downtown Savannah.  Its a great little shop, dude who owns it is really nice, and it is very popular with the SCAD students down there.  They sell quite literally everything from video games from the Odyssey up to Switch, Manga, toys, you name it.  It is a huge nerd store.  I would much rather give my money to them since they are a local store, their prices are competitive,  and they don't treat their customers and employees like shit.

11 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

It is all dependent on location of course but 9x out of 10 I have had very bad experiences with GS. To the point where I haven't bought a single game from them in over a year.  I tend to frequent this little place in Savannah called Planet Fun in downtown Savannah.  Its a great little shop, dude who owns it is really nice, and it is very popular with the SCAD students down there.  They sell quite literally everything from video games from the Odyssey up to Switch, Manga, toys, you name it.  It is a huge nerd store.  I would much rather give my money to them since they are a local store, their prices are competitive,  and they don't treat their customers and employees like shit.

Damn that sucks :(. Don't blame ya there. Cool. I tend to do that in my area as well. The selection is ok enough. Only other thing I'm gonna miss is not having to rely on Amazon for used games. I rather see the games themselves in person. Especially if they're dvd's/bluray's. You don't know how someone has treated the copies.

Edited by Doc Brown
2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Damn that sucks :(. Don't blame ya there. Cool. I tend to do that in my area as well. The selection is ok enough. Only other thing I'm gonna miss is not having to rely on Amazon for used games. I rather see the games themselves in person. Especially if they're dvd's/bluray's. You don't know how someone has treated the copies.

That is true but with Amazon it is easy to return stuff.  That being said I have had a ton of luck on ebay over the years.  I know that they are usually a crap shoot for many but if you know what to look for and you know what you are doing on ebay, you can find amazing deals.  I use them a lot for the retro stuff I have, I have found amazing deals where people were offing shit that they obviously didn't know what it was worth.  You have to be careful with any of it and it can be a hassle to many, but I personally enjoy the hunt of game collecting.  

Just now, Irondog666 said:

That is true but with Amazon it is easy to return stuff.  That being said I have had a ton of luck on ebay over the years.  I know that they are usually a crap shoot for many but if you know what to look for and you know what you are doing on ebay, you can find amazing deals.  I use them a lot for the retro stuff I have, I have found amazing deals where people were offing shit that they obviously didn't know what it was worth.  You have to be careful with any of it and it can be a hassle to many, but I personally enjoy the hunt of game collecting.  

Ah. Cool. That's generally the same with Amazon on my end. Just tried to find the best sellers I could and go from there. Nice. I do too when it works out. Had to pay a little more for a copy of Soul Reaver 2, $8 instead of $2, but it was worth it since the game was nicely buffed and it was playable. Not the easiest game to find either.

I'm only upset at some of the trade in values GS puts on games you trade in and in general, the used game price for something new is only like a 10% discount off new even if you do get a better return period.

However, on the used game sales angle I'm not sure where I lye on that one as they are basically letting you trade off games you don't want at a non-negotiated price and letting you put that credit towards a new game you do want.  Its up to you if you want to use them that way.

GS hardly ever runs sales on new games (and basically not very many do anyways) and hardly runs offers $off hook ups with POs.  That was one thing that I did like with TRU and to some extent BBY.  Also, TRU was more prone to sales on games than anyone of the main three.  Their problem was that it was usually tied to a B1G_ kind of sale and very rarely do I ever buy multiple games at the same time.  I'd never use Wal Mart for gaming--their selection is always limited the day of new release stuff for the most part.  I started doing more game purchases at BBY just because I already had RewardZone to earn bonuses.  The deal on that GCU I got from them last year I can't say I would have done at any other time because it basically saved me money and I broke even with getting it on my initial purchase.  Target has decent stuff now and then but the stock is so inconsistent and the ability of PO from them is kind of limited for a in-store basis.  So unless there is some incredible sale at Target I don't really buy games there.

With TRU now removed from the equation I'd go BBY > GS > Amazon (for legacy games not necessarily new releases) > and lastly digital.  If the end of GCU by BBY actually does go 100% official I'll still probably go with them first for RewardZone points anyways.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:34 PM, purple_beard said:

I'm only upset at some of the trade in values GS puts on games you trade in and in general, the used game price for something new is only like a 10% discount off new even if you do get a better return period.

However, on the used game sales angle I'm not sure where I lye on that one as they are basically letting you trade off games you don't want at a non-negotiated price and letting you put that credit towards a new game you do want.  Its up to you if you want to use them that way.

GS hardly ever runs sales on new games (and basically not very many do anyways) and hardly runs offers $off hook ups with POs.  That was one thing that I did like with TRU and to some extent BBY.  Also, TRU was more prone to sales on games than anyone of the main three.  Their problem was that it was usually tied to a B1G_ kind of sale and very rarely do I ever buy multiple games at the same time.  I'd never use Wal Mart for gaming--their selection is always limited the day of new release stuff for the most part.  I started doing more game purchases at BBY just because I already had RewardZone to earn bonuses.  The deal on that GCU I got from them last year I can't say I would have done at any other time because it basically saved me money and I broke even with getting it on my initial purchase.  Target has decent stuff now and then but the stock is so inconsistent and the ability of PO from them is kind of limited for a in-store basis.  So unless there is some incredible sale at Target I don't really buy games there.

With TRU now removed from the equation I'd go BBY > GS > Amazon (for legacy games not necessarily new releases) > and lastly digital.  If the end of GCU by BBY actually does go 100% official I'll still probably go with them first for RewardZone points anyways.

Inconsistent stock is a problem at most of the stores out there.  Another place I sometimes will get games from but it is really hit or miss and when they have a sale is the AAFES Post Exchange which is only available to active duty and retired military and their families.  They did open it up to Veterans for their online store at shopmyexchange.com but that requires I think like sending in documentation proving that you are a veteran.  That is good for me personally only because there is never any sales tax and Georgia sales tax is 7%.  It is really effing good on game systems if you buy one there since a Switch or a PS4 will cost you a pretty penny and that can save you upwards to $35 or more where I am at.  Plus, they do offer military appreciation bundles every now and then.  My PS4 was one of those, I got the 500 GB one years ago and it was $399. 

However, you got The Last of Us Remastered for free along with a voucher for 15 free digital titles.  So that is an option for military and veterans.  They do tend to have the same problems with games.  You have a very inconsistent stock and the only way to get around that is online.  I do a ton of my shopping online nowaydays and the only time I really buy a lot of games locally is with retro stuff.  So I hit on this in the game collector thread in here, I hunt for retro titles and in order to do that you have to be willing to go to yard sales, thrift stores, local used game stores if you have them in your area (not GS because none of the GS anywhere around me carry that kind of stuff).  However, for modern games, I wait for sales and I usually get them online.  As far as Game Stop, they may have a decent selection of used titles for modern systems but you are usually paying more for them, you have no idea what condition they are in (I have had so many problems with buying used games, either they don't work, and then GS doesn't want to take returns so they say you can't, just want you to exchange for a different title, or tell me I can't if it's not within a 7 day period or some shit).  I mean the returns problems I have had (if it's a new game and as soon as you open it, it is nonreturnable, etc) has left a really bad taste in my mouth over the years. 

That is just terrible business practice in general.  GS does terrible fucking business and has since for as long as I can remember.  I get that it does work for some people, that not everyone has a GS that tries to fuck them over, and that some people are very happy with their local Game Stop but for the brunt majority people, they are absolutely fucking terrible.  It is pretty bad when I would rather buy a game at full price through a local place than pay 10% less at a GS and I have done that just to spite them.  I am fucking happy their gone and I just hope that other companies learn from those mistakes.  So for now until my Game Membership at BBY ends it will be BBY>Amazon>Post Exchange>Planet Fun (Local place in Savannah, but I can't get out their all the time)>Walmart>Digital.

Edited by Irondog666

As soon as my Gamer Club Unlocked ends next year, I will most likely be going with Amazon for physical game releases as long as they continue to do the 20 percent off deal. I think my GCU ends in April 2019 so I still have a good amount of use left in it. To be honest I saw this coming. I predicted years back that if Gamestop didn't change their ways it would come back to bite them. Now it really is just a Funko warehouse. I notice that they have shifted towards more physical collectibles, which is cool, but not sure if it can really save the company. 

My state has another game store called GameXchange which is pretty much Gamestop but does trade-ins on older systems and dvds/blurays. I do recall their trade-ins usually being better than Gamestop's and they do have more of a selection. They just don't have the brand new releases. 

I really wasn't crazy about Gamestop. Back when it was Funcoland and EBgames it was cool because they did have older titles for like NES and SNES still. But since then I wasn't a person to really trade in my games, I've done it a few times I believe, but I usually keep all of my games. It never had that cool atmosphere that let's say Blockbuster had. I do have some good memories though of midnight releases with some buddies. 

If Gamestop goes, that will be another huge blow to toy companies including Funko. Two major distributors out in a year? I don't know how long GS has left. Either way, I really hope something comes out of this, like new companies forming and making good brands/stores. I am just worried that everything is going to close and nothing will compete with Amazon.

Yea I have some similar stores in my area as well. They carry older games too. The local Game Stop sometimes carried some games the used game stores didn't carry, so they sometimes balanced one another out thre.

Damn. EB Games. That brings back some memories! Got Pokemon Colosseum from a local one before they went under (fuck Bain Capital!). Same here, considering some are harder to get ahold of than others.

Word. Anything bad aside, that's not a good sign for similar companies. I hope too. Definitely. Amazon needs competitors to help keep prices at a saner level.