GameStop is entering selloff talks

1 hour ago, luca said:

"Casualty" nothing, that garbage company with their awful resale practices and shilling is what led to shit like bloated collectors editions, STORE-EXCLUSIVE DLC/CONTENT, and they treat their employees like complete shit being utterly disposable.  It was one of the first jobs I had it and it was Hell.

Yea I'm no fan of how they screw people in the trade in rates. Never bothered to trade in anything there. And I don't like stuff being exclusive to there.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

My personal feelings on some of the stuff with GS aside, in this new marketplace the forces at work are going against physical.

Yea and that isn't good for anyone who either has slow internet or no internet at all.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yea and that isn't good for anyone who either has slow internet or no internet at all.

Well not even that.

Think about these for a minute:

Game console makers vs makers of games for consoles vs digital shops vs retail shops:

*I create the console, I create the online shop, I sell the games, I cut out the middleman.

* Well I make 3rd party games and I can create my own website to let you download your "version" of the game

*Digital medium keeps better profit margins versus physical retail sales for game companies

* For physical retailers you have the cost of holding inventory and purchasing inventory

++ you have already seen this play out with music and movies at retail in the last few years.

If games go strictly digital download that is one thing as as long as the console has the file you can still play it ... BUT...

....Streaming games..... internet service, quality of connection, you don't truly have the game as you have to stream it from "them"

2 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Well not even that.

Think about these for a minute:

Game console makers vs makers of games for consoles vs digital shops vs retail shops:

*I create the console, I create the online shop, I sell the games, I cut out the middleman.

* Well I make 3rd party games and I can create my own website to let you download your "version" of the game

*Digital medium keeps better profit margins versus physical retail sales for game companies

* For physical retailers you have the cost of holding inventory and purchasing inventory

++ you have already seen this play out with music and movies at retail in the last few years.

If games go strictly digital download that is one thing as as long as the console has the file you can still play it ... BUT...

....Streaming games..... internet service, quality of connection, you don't truly have the game as you have to stream it from "them"

Yea you bring up some very good points there.

It makes things even worse. And if the servers go down... people won't be able to redownload. Same thing if the games get pulled.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Yea you bring up some very good points there.

It makes things even worse. And if the servers go down... people won't be able to redownload. Same thing if the games get pulled.

Ohh yeah, the legalize of licensing ... game, publisher, time, system(s), ect..... what happens when a contract runs out.... how can you play your game anymore?

Just now, purple_beard said:

Ohh yeah, the legalize of licensing ... game, publisher, time, system(s), ect..... what happens when a contract runs out.... how can you play your game anymore?

Exactly. It's not good for people buying said games. And it especially sucks when the game is only available digitally on some platforms. Like the Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth series in the US. It's frustrating.

Plus on top of it, as the population continues to grow, physical jobs continue to dwindle. Which is scary when you think about it. My local mall is practically empty at nights. While peaceful, it's sad to see no one really shopping anymore.

As far as Gamestop goes, this was bound to happen. Same thing as Blockbuster. Everything going digital. That's why you've seen Gamestop step up their collectible services the last few years with Funko, shirts and toys. Speaking of which, I heard a rumor that Hot Topic was looking into buying Gamestop. We will see how this plays out.

With games, I do think there will always be a market for physical copies, especially for collectors and Nintendo gamers. There should always be an option to have them, even if they aren't mass produced as they are now in the future. 

As far as GameStop goes, looks like this is another Toys R Us thread all over. But honestly, if it wasn't for Funko, a lot of these shops would really be in trouble. IMO.

2 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Plus on top of it, as the population continues to grow, physical jobs continue to dwindle. Which is scary when you think about it. My local mall is practically empty at nights. While peaceful, it's sad to see no one really shopping anymore.

As far as Gamestop goes, this was bound to happen. Same thing as Blockbuster. Everything going digital. That's why you've seen Gamestop step up their collectible services the last few years with Funko, shirts and toys. Speaking of which, I heard a rumor that Hot Topic was looking into buying Gamestop. We will see how this plays out.

With games, I do think there will always be a market for physical copies, especially for collectors and Nintendo gamers. There should always be an option to have them, even if they aren't mass produced as they are now in the future. 

As far as GameStop goes, looks like this is another Toys R Us thread all over. But honestly, if it wasn't for Funko, a lot of these shops would really be in trouble. IMO.

The thing you bring up though, is kind of the physical vs. digital distribution but now throw in the technology of streaming.

And its the same thing the music industry and the movie industry have had to deal with.

At some point economics will bear out what happens with all of this but in my own experience I like having that physical copy of whatever.  Because, with digital downloads or digital distribution in general stuff can get pulled so you could watch it once but maybe never again if a contract lapses or a content provider loses the content.  That is why I still buy cds, dvds, blurays and physical copies of games when applicable because I know I got it. 

For me, I stopped getting CDs about 6-7 years ago. I only purchase physical if it's a favorite artist of mine for the collection. I was buying from iTunes for the longest time, but since Apple Music came out, I've just forked over $10 a month. Feels like I own all of the music I want and it's a cheaper option in my opinion. 

Movies, I've stopped buying physical as well. As much as I love collecting and Blockbuster with the movie renting back in the day, buying/streaming movies has been the way to go for me. It saves me so much room in the house not having to store more dvds. I use Vudu for my movies. You can rent and buy movies on there. Once you buy a movie, it's with your account forever. All you have to do is log in and you can watch it anywhere on any device. 

Despite all their shitty business practices and how they they've been treating their employees, I'd hate to see them go. :(  Since, I prefer physical over digital, I find to more convent to go to GS than Walmart or Target (all of these are only a few mins from my house), because they have a better selection, their more likely to have what I'm looking for in-stock, and I can easily pre-order items I know will be hard to find (Ex. SNES Classic Edition). ...But yeah...This isn't surprising to hear. GS did this to themselves after all.

Edited by alienboyva
9 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

For me, I stopped getting CDs about 6-7 years ago. I only purchase physical if it's a favorite artist of mine for the collection. I was buying from iTunes for the longest time, but since Apple Music came out, I've just forked over $10 a month. Feels like I own all of the music I want and it's a cheaper option in my opinion. 

Movies, I've stopped buying physical as well. As much as I love collecting and Blockbuster with the movie renting back in the day, buying/streaming movies has been the way to go for me. It saves me so much room in the house not having to store more dvds. I use Vudu for my movies. You can rent and buy movies on there. Once you buy a movie, it's with your account forever. All you have to do is log in and you can watch it anywhere on any device. 

What if the movie distributor decides to pull said movies?

I generally get digital music myself, but generally if it's something that's harder to get a hold of physical copy wise or I get it via dvd and then just burn a copy and put it onto itunes so I can listen to it there.

I try to get most of my movies and games via physical copy in case anything gets pulled. I'll still be able to go back and watch the movies, play the games. And in case of games (at least in terms of older games for PS1, PS2, Wii and hand held games... it helps to save space. It just seems to be far more practical. The only system where I've been mainly digital is my Vita since physical copies of games are harder to come by.

9 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Despite all their shitty business practices and how they they've been treating their employees, I'd hate to see them go. :(  Since, I prefer physical over digital, I find to more convent to go to GS than Walmart or Target (all of these are only a few mins from my house), because they have a better selection, their more likely to have what I'm looking for in-stock, and I can easily pre-order items I know will be hard to find (Ex. SNES Classic Edition). ...But yeah...This isn't surprising to hear. GS did this to themselves after all.

Word. And I'm not a huge fan of having to resort to Amazon given their $3.99 tax on top of what you pay. So if things go down this road, it leaves people with one less option. Wal Mart doesn't always have what I'm looking for and the same goes with other stores... and without Gamestop, the only other option for anything used will be a used game store... thankfully they're still around... but they don't carry a ton of anything newer. So it'll be just Amazon left.

I went through Game Stop for most of my Pokemon games and another store for some of them. I'll be left with the latter, and thankfully they get them in. But for anything less common, I'd be sore out of luck.

Guess any future trips up to Gamestop will be bittersweet ones.

Edited by Doc Brown
12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What if the movie distributor decides to pull said movies?

I generally get digital music myself, but generally if it's something that's harder to get a hold of physical copy wise or I get it via dvd and then just burn a copy and put it onto itunes so I can listen to it there.

I try to get most of my movies and games via physical copy in case anything gets pulled. I'll still be able to go back and watch the movies, play the games. And in case of games (at least in terms of older games for PS1, PS2, Wii and hand held games... it helps to save space. It just seems to be far more practical. The only system where I've been mainly digital is my Vita since physical copies of games are harder to come by.

Can they pull a movie you bought digitally online? If that's the case and there's a movie I really want and that were to happen, then yes I'll go get a physical copy. But I find it hard to believe that a company would do that, especially if the movie is selling like hot cakes online. 

19 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Can they pull a movie you bought digitally online? If that's the case and there's a movie I really want and that were to happen, then yes I'll go get a physical copy. But I find it hard to believe that a company would do that, especially if the movie is selling like hot cakes online. 

I'd figure they could. But I do agree that it would be less likely if it's selling well. But better to be safe than sorry.

Gamestop can burn.
It's unfortunate that physical is on the way out, although in other places like Japan, it remains strong.
I think as long as that's the case, companies like Nintendo will always release physical copies as well.

Remember, though, that streaming doesn't have to be the only alternative.
Music, games, and movies can always be acquired and stored on a hard drive. It's what I do with most of mine.
I know it's getting harder to do that, too, but there's still a crowd demanding ownership of files.

3 hours ago, luca said:

"Casualty" nothing, that garbage company with their awful resale practices and shilling is what led to shit like bloated collectors editions, STORE-EXCLUSIVE DLC/CONTENT, and they treat their employees like complete shit being utterly disposable.  It was one of the first jobs I had it and it was Hell.

🙏🙏🙏

10 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

you pay for Netflix and they drop and add content all the time.

look at Nintendo's shop since it began, some games drop all the time.  While yes, if you downloaded you have it so to speak but say something got corrupted and you can't re-download it?

Also, as part of my streaming argument...compression artifacts and issues are part of the reason for physical for me too.