Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Eliwood8 said:

Swapping Blades in a way that's somewhere between Pokémon Trainer swapping monsters and Shulk using different Monado powers would probably make the most sense for Rex. And my first thought for a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 stage would be a stage with the Cloud Sea rising and falling, like Samus's Brinstar stage. Personally I'm not really expecting Rex to make it in but he'd make the most sense for a second Xenoblade rep, and swapping Blades could be an interesting gimmick.

Yeah, I'm of the same mindset about Rex not making it in.  The fact that the game is the best selling of the series thus far is the only thing I have to go on as it being a possibility but it's not the sure thing I'd like it to be.  With that said, I did kind of like the idea I've read elsewhere of possibly having Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X.  Her fighting style could be based on two modes of play you can switch between, melee attacks and fire arm attack to mimic how you could swap between the two weapon types in the game and your attacks/specials would be based on which mode you were currently using.  Beyond that any ideas I had would be her Final Smash involving the use of the Prog Ares 90 (or even the white one from the intro cutscene) or something like that.  But again that's not something I'd expect to see.

I do like the idea for a stage involving the cloud sea though, would be a lot more interesting than another roaming platform stage I'd say.

59 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

In Youtuber Maximillion comment section to his reaction to the latest Smash direct. someone said, Video Games: The Games.

What I bold above seem to relate to that.

I recently saw Max's reaction and he was pretty spot on with that description. XD I did like how excited he was for Final Smashes to have an option to become a meter since that might add a new dynamic to tournament play if people don't shy away from it like it hurts the "purity" of competitive Smash or something like that.

18 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I recently saw Max's reaction and he was pretty spot on with that description. XD I did like how excited he was for Final Smashes to have an option to become a meter since that might add a new dynamic to tournament play if people don't shy away from it like it hurts the "purity" of competitive Smash or something like that.

Yeah, I saw that too. I should seen that he would get excited for that.

And like anything we want to be a thing in tourney, I feel this has chance to be a main stay then what was trial and error with custom moves.

4 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Sometimes I feel like people want characters in Smash for the wrong reasons.

Having grown up without a game console of my own until the Gamecube, Melee was my first exposure to literally every single character that wasn't a Pokemon. Seeing all of these unfamiliar characters and reading about them via Trophies was what inspired me to go back and discover these games for myself.

But by the time Brawl came out, the internet had already exposed me to so many new and obscure characters that even though I hadn't played Pikmin or Gyromite, I still knew who Olimar and ROB were. Thus, the magic of being introduced to so many new franchises was greatly reduced.

Nowadays, when people want their favorite characters in Smash, it's because they're already familiar with the characters and their games. Nobody wants to be introduced to new games via unfamiliar characters.

I get what you mean. The incredible thing about Smash is its ubiquitousness- and more to the point, its ability to bring series and characters that are old or underperforming back into the spotlight. I'm old enough to have a colloquial memory of Kid Icarus, but I couldn't really count myself as a fan until Pit came to Brawl. I don't think most people would see it as an exaggeration to say that Uprising wouldn't have existed without Brawl.  When a character comes to Smash, they're reinserted into the public sphere in a way that gets people talking about what could be next for that character.

That said, sometimes it's just nice to see one of your childhood favorites reinvented for something as high-profile and widely played as Smash. It isn't about something as petty as representation. It's about the simple joy of playing as a character that you were really pulling for. I remember playing Smash 64 and wondering for years who Ness and Captain Falcon were. But I also remember being over the moon when I learned that I could play as Kirby and Pikachu.

The culture surrounding Smash has changed since then. Smash used to be simply a fighting game on the N64, a simple crossover of the Nintendo all-stars. Now it's a juggernaut, bringing in characters from across platforms from decades of gaming history. Suddenly we have Snake, MegaMan, and Cloud, all tossed into the mix with brand new characters like Robin, Shulk, and Inkling. Suddenly inclusion in Smash is the thing that pushes a character from popular to ubiquitous. I don't believe there's anything necessarily wrong with that per se, even though I personally think the hype culture surrounding Smash is a tad annoying. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to see a character you've known for years get proper recognition. 

Part 2 of Translated Smash Ultimate website.

I don't why I didn't think translate other languages for fun, I've been for most day trying to find something to post her from translated Japanese but with other languages translations open so many funny translations possibilities.

That's the first time I've heard that DK arrangement.  MAAAAAN, it's incredible how some of the tunes in Smash are remixed.  That's gonna be an awesome tune to battle to!  I'm also hoping they do a remix of DKC2's Hot Head Bop and the Boss Theme.  Also, whatever the song is called that plays in the honeycomb levels in DKC2 as well.

Edited by Kezay
16 minutes ago, The Albraskan said:

I know I can't be the only one who realized when Simon Belmont was announced for Smash Ultimate, that we pretty much have all of the good guys from Captain N in the same video game, minus Captain N himself. Obviously doesn't mean Captain N is gonna show up, just found it funny.

Technically, he could be if you make a Mii of him. :P  Well, more or less I suppose.

So I know it's been over a week since the Direct, but did anyone else notice when Sakurai went on to show the Dracula boss fight, that the fight didn't take place on the newly announced Dracula's Castle stage shown right before? Well technically it is Dracula's Castle, but it's a long flat stage with no pits or platforms, like where they showed with the Rathalos boss fight on that empty field.

You guys probably knew that, but I just wanted to point that out since I haven't seen any GameXplain or any other person make mention of this.

9 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

So I know it's been over a week since the Direct, but did anyone else notice when Sakurai went on to show the Dracula boss fight, that the fight didn't take place on the newly announced Dracula's Castle stage shown right before? Well technically it is Dracula's Castle, but it's a long flat stage with no pits or platforms, like where they showed with the Rathalos boss fight on that empty field.

You guys probably knew that, but I just wanted to point that out since I haven't seen any GameXplain or any other person make mention of this.

Its in a GX video, might have been one I had posted--not sure off the top of my head.

Their running theory is since Dracula's fight isn't on the Smash arena ... and along the lines of that Rathalos fight in the same direct... that there will be boss battles that once certain components are met that you will fight said characters.....

Of a recent thought, but the more I’ve been seeing from Ultimate from the last two directs (even though we don’t fully know everything and with more to come between now and December)

That’s more relief that I didn’t waste my time or money on the Wii U or bundle DLC back then

Definately some weight had been lifted off my wallet with that

I’m definitely planning to prepurchase this when it comes available on the Eshop later.......

On 8/17/2018 at 12:59 PM, Kezay said:

Sakurai does so much justice to these characters man. Dark Samus, its victory pose is basically lifted from the way it splits a clone of itself and then recombines later from Metroid Prime 3.

Sakurai found a way to include Dark Samus that is effective for the game's development while still being faithful to the character's traits in the series. The animations given to Dark Samus were what made me have second thoughts, because, as someone who has beaten Prime 2 & 3, I didn't think making Dark Samus an echo for Samus would feel right. Now I'll likely prefer Dark Samus over Samus as my new main.

Edited by IU

Even the differences in Dark Samus' morph ball bombs and missiles I'm surprisingly impressed with, for an echo anyway. She does seem preferable to the OG Samus, who was made worse and worse after Melee, intentionally or not. This tidbit on SSB4 Samus spoke for itself...

Other than that, the influx in fan art of Dark Samus (along with K. Rool) has been pretty refreshing, whom of course hasn't had some good/notable ones in years, though goes without saying that anyone who gets in Smash will become more on the radar for fan artists anywhere. Even for it having been over two months, the amount of fan art Ridley gets now compared to before still feels surreal. It makes celebrating whoever becomes a playable fighter that much more fun.

Speaking of fan-made material, enjoying the codecs that this channel's been dishing out, which makes me even more hopeful that Smash will be back on top with them in Ultimate, whether it's the Snake/MGS or Palutena/KI-based codecs, or both.

The channel has ones of Snake reacting to most of Ultimate's newcomers so far too of course, but those ones I found a bit more clever and original since they were less expected.

I definitely feel they did a good job with Dark Samus. I was dreading the thought of Dark Samus being a clone, but all those unique animations make me feel a lot better.

I still don't know why they didn't just reuse the assets they already created from the Assist Trophy, though.