Jump to content
purple_beard

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

I saw the big boxed package with the panorama portrait of everyone, but not the steel book case. I love the interior of it, but the outer cover feels pretty plain. Still really nice that Super Smash Bros Ultimate is getting one, even if it's for Europe so far.

The outside is really plain on the steelbook. Still cool it's getting one but I just wish there was more to it.

 

13 hours ago, IU said:

Anyone else think Geno, Banjo or both will be coming in the next Smash Direct? I feel Ultimate will have one of those two revealed next time Sakurai covers the game. He definitely seems to be going towards big fan requests for this one. I think Shadow will be an echo of Sonic...I don't believe we've seen him as an assist trophy yet. The inclusion of two Castlevania reps has opened the door for more third party presence, so I'd imagine Ken and Jeanne are coming for Ryu and Bayonetta respectively. They could go Akuma instead of Ken if they wanted to go for even more villains. I hope though that Chun-Li comes in as an assist trophy. I would also like to see Sylux appear as an assist trophy, as I feel the door closed for the character as playable with Dark Samus being treated as a Samus echo fighter as opposed to a brand new fighter. There's room there since Dark Samus is no longer an assist trophy for Metroid.

If Sakurai is really looking to fulfill high fan requests, which seems to be the case by his own assertion with Chrom and Dark Samus but I'd also consider K.Rool a part of that, then I think Geno has a shot.  Banjo... I'm not too keen on just because of the fact Microsoft owns Rare and thus that property, but you never know.  For me, if Banjo does show up that would be a surprise on par with Cloud because that's how unlikely I see it happening.  But hey, I could be way off on that if only because it's a property that was once highly associated with Nintendo (and many ways still is) and Sakurai's ability to whisper sweet nothings to other publishers is what has made some of the craziest additions happen to begin with. :P

Share this post


Link to post

From a marketing perspective, I don't see Banjo's inclusion appealing to anyone who isn't already buying this game. And it's not going to generate any sales for a long-dead IP owned by a VERY distant third party. And I doubt it's popular at all in Japan, so the character wouldn't be on Sakurai's radar.

 

Basically, putting Banjo in Smash would be a huge pain in the ass for a small treat to a niche audience already sold on the product, which would benefit neither Nintendo nor Microsoft.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Shadow was an assist trophy and did chaos control when activated.

In Ultimate footage?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

If K. Rool had popularity in Japan (which he does), I’m pretty sure Banjo of all things would as well. Helps too that Phil Spencer at Microsoft is a cool guy whose on friendly terms with Nintendo that is totally open to like Banjo being in Smash, iirc.

 

Never really had attachment to Banjo myself, but would be happy for the fans if he got in. Can certainly see him getting in over any other Western created character (including some Western 3rd parties I’d like/prefer to have) at this point, at the very least.

 

After we got Ryu (with Ken now being speculated as an echo), Scorpion with Sub-Zero as an echo became my long shot 3rd party wish, but like that would happen. lol Doomguy I could fancy too if they had the appropriate means of toning him down, but he’s also a stretch.

 

Geno I’m not as optimistic on as Banjo, but could see him happening as well. Sylux could still be DLC for Ultimate to coincide with Prime 4, but if he became an assist trophy like @IU suggested, it’d be just as well at this point I suppose. At least in the future he would have absolutely no competition for a Metroid newcomer spot, with Ridley and Dark Samus included and out of the way now.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Share this post


Link to post

Starting to hit old man syndrome seeing some of the reaction videos out there. The Castlevania reps are one thing, but the confusion some of these people had at Dark Samus.  I think one video had this little girl who thought Dark Samus was just a skin and not an actual character. One dude was super hyped seeing it confirmed only to say afterward that he has never played a Metroid game.  But, on the other hand it's pretty neat seeing them witnessing all these, from their perspective, relics of gaming history. Confusion now will lead to enlightenment later now that they know better. :P Tis what Smash is about!

 

I still wish they had this version of Bloody Tears in it though.  I just really like the extension they added to the base song from Simon's Quest.  But beggars can't be choosers and I'm loving what they've done which is far more than I expected.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, WING-X said:

@kezay

Is castlevania judgment a good game? All i knew about the game it's a fighting one.

Ehhhhhh, even owning the game I wouldn't necessarily say it's good by fighting game standards.  You would probably get more enjoyment out of it if you're a Castlevania fan. For what it was I enjoyed it, though.  Never got around to completing it 100% because it does have a lot to unlock and there were only a few characters I took through the story mode.  Some characters I just never got the hang of learning how to play because of how weird they controlled particularly Maria who had attacks that just kind of sent her all over the place.  But I had my favorites.  I also wasn't a big fan of the art direction which was handled by the creator of Death Note.  Very few of the characters even resembled themselves from actual Castlevania entries. The music was pretty good though.

Share this post


Link to post

What do you guys think about this?  The possibility that characters like Skull Kid, Isaac, Isabelle and Shadow are being teased/hinted at.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kezay said:

What do you guys think about this?  The possibility that characters like Skull Kid, Isaac, Isabelle and Shadow are being teased/hinted at.

 

 

Yeah, I saw that, too. Personally I think the bit about Sakurai's chairs and pillows is really reaching, though I would certainly welcome a playable Skull Kid. It just seems like a lot of wishful thinking, though, or just the kind of red herring Sakurai would drop to keep fans talking.

 

There seems to be a little bit more to go on with that Golden Sun-inspired screenshot. That's the kind of thing that strikes me as less likely to have been done by accident, especially given it was something Sakurai went out of his way to share and not just furniture that happened to be in the background of a video that was already happening. I'm really hoping it's true. Isaac and Felix are so perfect for Smash it hurts.

 

Shadow seems like a shoe-in as a Sonic clone, and one that I have no trouble believing will make an appearance. Isabelle I can see happening mostly because I no longer believe that lack of a moveset is a barrier to Sakurai and the Smash team. If we're talking about Isabelle as an echo fighter of Villager, then sure, I don't see why not.

Edited by Laclipsey

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/11/2018 at 1:02 PM, Destiny Hero said:

From a marketing perspective, I don't see Banjo's inclusion appealing to anyone who isn't already buying this game. And it's not going to generate any sales for a long-dead IP owned by a VERY distant third party. And I doubt it's popular at all in Japan, so the character wouldn't be on Sakurai's radar.

 

Basically, putting Banjo in Smash would be a huge pain in the ass for a small treat to a niche audience already sold on the product, which would benefit neither Nintendo nor Microsoft.

 

Smash doesn't need really anyone to generate sales. This could have been an HD copy of the Wii U port and probably would have sold more than the Wii U version. 

 

But with that being said, I don't see how putting Banjo in doesn't benefit anyone.

Share this post


Link to post

You know who I want in the game? Paper Mario.

 

I feel like I always see people asking for Geno, who was a side character in one game 20 years ago, while Paper Mario has had 5 (?) games and would make an awesome fighter. Hell, he could even be an echo fighter of Game and Watch!

 

I've been wanting this ever since Toon Link was announced for Brawl. The hammer, special attacks, and maybe a final Smash utilizing his followers from the first few games.

 

What characters do you guys want that you rarely see suggested?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, The Bread Baron said:

You know who I want in the game? Paper Mario.

 

What characters do you guys want that you rarely see suggested?

Paper Mario could be interesting, as to your 2nd question:

 

Nintendo:

Wart: gas bubbles, veggie tossing, and his own castle for a stage complete with Sparkys and those throwable mushroom blocks.

 

Pig Ganon: I think his trident and maybe use some of his magic attacks could make for something unique

 

___ from Star Tropics.  His yoyo and jumping skills would be unique  If Duck Hunt can get int....

 

PLAYABLE MASTER HAND.  You had that cheat in Melee to make it work....  Hell, you could have Master and Crazy Hand.

 

3rd Party:

 

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden.  With Simon Belmont in the fold he'd be one of the last few left.

 

Mrs. Pac Man would be such an easy add as a Echo for Pac Man.

 

Bonk.  His head butting techniques along with his super rage, turbo jumping, and the ability to toss in some Air Zonk stuff make him totally fit in this kind of game.

 

I think there is a way to get Dr. Robotnik and/or Dr. Wily/Light into this game somehow.

 

Dig Dug could work.  His air hose could work as a rope dart and you could inflate enemies.  Also, since he was known for digging, he could dig pits for other fighters to get trapped.  I think there is a stage idea there built around his layered ground stages.

Share this post


Link to post

I just realized my dream match of Young Link can now be a reality, maybe?

 

Great Bay

Young Links only

Assist Trophy (if possible only Majora's Mask Moon)

 

LET'S GO!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post

Sometimes I feel like people want characters in Smash for the wrong reasons.

 

Having grown up without a game console of my own until the Gamecube, Melee was my first exposure to literally every single character that wasn't a Pokemon. Seeing all of these unfamiliar characters and reading about them via Trophies was what inspired me to go back and discover these games for myself.

 

But by the time Brawl came out, the internet had already exposed me to so many new and obscure characters that even though I hadn't played Pikmin or Gyromite, I still knew who Olimar and ROB were. Thus, the magic of being introduced to so many new franchises was greatly reduced.

 

Nowadays, when people want their favorite characters in Smash, it's because they're already familiar with the characters and their games. Nobody wants to be introduced to new games via unfamiliar characters.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd like to see another rep from the Xenoblade series.  I'm sure he's not rarely suggested but Rex would be a nice addition to represent XB2.  I just don't know how best he should be utilized. He definitely could not work as an Echo Fighter for Shulk unless anyone has ideas on how that would make sense in practice. Maybe like Pokemon Trainer used to be and you would swap between three different Blades?  I just don't know what would be the best combo to go with:

 

Note: Spoilered some Blade names for story related reasons in case anyone here has not yet made it far into the game

 

Option 1 - Blades associated with Rex: Pneuma, Roc, Nia

 

Option 2 - Blades associated with key characters: Pneuma, Brighid, Pandoria

 

Option 3 - Rex's Primary Blade(s): Pyra, Mythra, Pneuma

 

Though I guess maybe his specials could be based solely on the weapons of various Blades he can control like Pyra's Sword or Roc's Scythes and what have you, but it kind of eliminates that visual indicator that he's swapping different Blades in order to utilize their weapon/skill sets.

 

His stage could be a roaming platform type stage that travels to the different Titans with their own environments and things going on in the background. Gormott, Uraya, Mor Ardain and so on and so forth. Otherwise a stage based around the World Tree or Aion's Hangar might be cool.

 

Final Smash could be Rex using Mythra to summon Siren, a massive energy blade like when he and Pneuma summoned energy from space and cut down Aion or the joint Blade special he can learn that utilizes both Pneuma and Nia together.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Tyranogre said:

Sometimes I feel like people want characters in Smash for the wrong reasons.

 

Having grown up without a game console of my own until the Gamecube, Melee was my first exposure to literally every single character that wasn't a Pokemon. Seeing all of these unfamiliar characters and reading about them via Trophies was what inspired me to go back and discover these games for myself.

 

But by the time Brawl came out, the internet had already exposed me to so many new and obscure characters that even though I hadn't played Pikmin or Gyromite, I still knew who Olimar and ROB were. Thus, the magic of being introduced to so many new franchises was greatly reduced.

 

Nowadays, when people want their favorite characters in Smash, it's because they're already familiar with the characters and their games. Nobody wants to be introduced to new games via unfamiliar characters.

I get that angle especially when for me the biggest impact was had with Marth and Roy's inclusion in Melee.  But it's also cool to just see characters you grew up with introduced in new and interesting ways as a fighter in Smash.  For a long time my biggest want was Lil Mac and he was finally added in Smash 4.  Yeah, I'm familiar with the character and all but I still wanted to see how he work as a character in Smash Bros. and have a chance to use someone I really wanted to see being given a shot.  In some ways, Smash Bros. can still introduce people to elements from games or game franchises entirely through a variety of different ways.  It doesn't have to be the characters themselves but things like assist trophies, the music, trophy descriptions and things like that.  I guarantee you most of the people reacting to Simon/Richter Belmont really don't know anything about those characters other than the hype surrounding their reveal thanks to speculation or leaks or whatever.  They know OF the character but don't actually know about them.  Even better when they see Alucard and were either silent during the description of his character and what his assist trophy does or just kind of talked over it because they had no idea what to say in terms of casually talking about it/reacting to it. Smash Bros. will give them that opportunity.

 

Share this post


Link to post

There are a lot of different reasons people want specific fighters in Smash, and outside of blatant troll requests I'd hesitate to call any of them wrong, especially with Ultimate which has become so huge that it can inspire people in so many different ways. It's not surprising that people default to requesting their favorite characters, but with so many characters and assist trophies I think there's still plenty of room to surprise players with characters they hadn't seen before. Personally I'd love to see more franchise revivals through Smash, the way Pit appeared in Brawl before Kid Icarus: Uprising came out.

 

30 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I'd like to see another rep from the Xenoblade series.  I'm sure he's not rarely suggested but Rex would be a nice addition to represent XB2.  I just don't know how best he should be utilized. He definitely could not work as an Echo Fighter for Shulk unless anyone has ideas on how that would make sense in practice. Maybe like Pokemon Trainer used to be and you would swap between three different Blades?  I just don't know what would be the best combo to go with:

 

Note: Spoilered some Blade names for story related reasons in case anyone here has not yet made it far into the game

 

Option 1 - Blades associated with Rex: Pneuma, Roc, Nia

  

Option 2 - Blades associated with key characters: Pneuma, Brighid, Pandoria

  

Option 3 - Rex's Primary Blade(s): Pyra, Mythra, Pneuma

  

Though I guess maybe his specials could be based solely on the weapons of various Blades he can control like Pyra's Sword or Roc's Scythes and what have you, but it kind of eliminates that visual indicator that he's swapping different Blades in order to utilize their weapon/skill sets.

 

His stage could be a roaming platform type stage that travels to the different Titans with their own environments and things going on in the background. Gormott, Uraya, Mor Ardain and so on and so forth. Otherwise a stage based around the World Tree or Aion's Hangar might be cool. 

 

Final Smash could be Rex using Mythra to summon Siren, a massive energy blade like when he and Pneuma summoned energy from space and cut down Aion or the joint Blade special he can learn that utilizes both Pneuma and Nia together.

 

Swapping Blades in a way that's somewhere between Pokémon Trainer swapping monsters and Shulk using different Monado powers would probably make the most sense for Rex. And my first thought for a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 stage would be a stage with the Cloud Sea rising and falling, like Samus's Brinstar stage. Personally I'm not really expecting Rex to make it in but he'd make the most sense for a second Xenoblade rep, and swapping Blades could be an interesting gimmick.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, The Bread Baron said:

You know who I want in the game? Paper Mario.

 

I feel like I always see people asking for Geno, who was a side character in one game 20 years ago, while Paper Mario has had 5 (?) games and would make an awesome fighter. Hell, he could even be an echo fighter of Game and Watch!

 

I've been wanting this ever since Toon Link was announced for Brawl. The hammer, special attacks, and maybe a final Smash utilizing his followers from the first few games.

 

What characters do you guys want that you rarely see suggested?

 

I've been wanting Paper Mario for years myself. He would make a good echo fighter to Game and Watch imo. 

 

 

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Sometimes I feel like people want characters in Smash for the wrong reasons.

 

Having grown up without a game console of my own until the Gamecube, Melee was my first exposure to literally every single character that wasn't a Pokemon. Seeing all of these unfamiliar characters and reading about them via Trophies was what inspired me to go back and discover these games for myself.

 

But by the time Brawl came out, the internet had already exposed me to so many new and obscure characters that even though I hadn't played Pikmin or Gyromite, I still knew who Olimar and ROB were. Thus, the magic of being introduced to so many new franchises was greatly reduced.

 

Nowadays, when people want their favorite characters in Smash, it's because they're already familiar with the characters and their games. Nobody wants to be introduced to new games via unfamiliar characters.

 

I think people have always wanted familiar characters in Smash from the get go. For the first game and Melee, besides Captain Falcon, Ness and the Fire Emblem characters, I pretty much was already familiar with everyone. It was very cool to learn more about Nintendo's history with these characters. But coming into the series 5th iteration, it's pretty difficult to get characters that no one is familiar with that hasn't been put in or mentioned somewhere down the line.  I already know who Simon is but not too familiar with Ritcher.  I think putting in Castlevania will help me study the franchise more and play some game I haven't tried yet. But as far as unfamiliar characters go, they would have to do something like put in the kid from Star Tropics or characters from Pro Wrestling  to really throw people for a loop.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I get that angle especially when for me the biggest impact was had with Marth and Roy's inclusion in Melee.  But it's also cool to just see characters you grew up with introduced in new and interesting ways as a fighter in Smash.  For a long time my biggest want was Lil Mac and he was finally added in Smash 4.  Yeah, I'm familiar with the character and all but I still wanted to see how he work as a character in Smash Bros. and have a chance to use someone I really wanted to see being given a shot.  In some ways, Smash Bros. can still introduce people to elements from games or game franchises entirely through a variety of different ways.  It doesn't have to be the characters themselves but things like assist trophies, the music, trophy descriptions and things like that.  I guarantee you most of the people reacting to Simon/Richter Belmont really don't know anything about those characters other than the hype surrounding their reveal thanks to speculation or leaks or whatever.  They know OF the character but don't actually know about them.  Even better when they see Alucard and were either silent during the description of his character and what his assist trophy does or just kind of talked over it because they had no idea what to say in terms of casually talking about it/reacting to it. Smash Bros. will give them that opportunity.

 

In Youtuber Maximillion comment section to his reaction to the latest Smash direct. someone said, Video Games: The Games.

 

What I bold above seem to relate to that.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×