Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

I hope one of the trailers for the next rounds of DLC involves a character going after Joker for stealing their invite in the first place. 

That remains an unresolved question: who did Joker steal that invitation from? The obvious answer is Batman. They have six chances to tell us, I hope they do. 

@Ridley Primeexactly. I was hoping for a female rep to finally be added and at least I did somewhat get my wish granted so hopefully she too gets an amiibo. (Poor Robin). I have brought about the idea of a female rep to finally be added to others before but I even had an asswipe call me part of a the Me Too movement. I was floored when they said that but luckily didn't reply back to that and let it go but it still bothered me even now three days after the Smash Direct.

Of course, I absolutely get where they are coming from. There are no stand-alone female characters in the Smash DLC. Frankly, it was a bit surprising given the sheer number of awesome characters they could have included. 

I merely point out Kazooie because she's an old favorite of mine. Kazooie was just brimming with personality in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, and it was an absolute pleasure to see both of them make the cut for Ultimate. 

Unrelated to the character drama, but I have a question:

Are the DLC Spirits like the Resident Evil ones exclusive to the timed events? Or can I still encounter them randomly on the Spirit Board?

I.e. if I haven't touched the game since before Hero, have I permanently lost my chance to get those Spirits?

23 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

Of course, I absolutely get where they are coming from. There are no stand-alone female characters in the Smash DLC. Frankly, it was a bit surprising given the sheer number of awesome characters they could have included. 

I don't find it surprising or disappointing at all. Smash Bros is a celebration of the gaming industry, and the vast majority of successful games feature male characters most prominently. And that's because males are the primary consumer base.

Even with that considered, Smash has about a 2:1 male:female ratio. That's already above average for the industry and for a fighting game with boob physics. Especially considering that female characters have long dominated top-tier play, singling out Smash Bros for misogyny, of all the games out there... it's just bizarre. People are just looking for one more reason to be angry about Fire Emblem reps due to the early ones being too thematically similar to each other.

And we're free to disagree over what is or isn't disappointing. 

But I think, with Smash, we have to be realistic: people are always going to be disappointed by Smash snubs. 

I can already envision a character who will cause disappointment during Fighter Pass 2: Rayman. Rayman was noticeable absent from the Ubisoft Mii Fighter costumes, and I've seen a few folks online hoping this means he makes the cut as a future DLC character. If he doesn't show up, those people are going to be disappointed. If he does, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who don't think Rayman deserves the slot. 

Not everyone can make Smash. There are six DLC slots; but dozens upon dozens of excellent video game characters. It is inevitable that many favorites won't make the cut.