Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

The reason this choice bothers me is not because it’s a sword user. His move set sounds pretty diverse, honestly. 

The problem isn’t even just that it’s a FE character. I don’t hate the series or anything, I am quite ambivalent towards it actually.

The real problem is the squandered opportunity. This is a series (Smash) that breaks down barriers in terms of third party representation, beginning with Snake and Sonic, but also literally everyone else in this fighter pass besides Byleth. We have historic representation with many multi-faceted characters. There is 40 years of video games to draw on. The world is their oyster. There are so many possibilities in terms of movesets, creative settings, mashups, etc. And they choose an avatar character from what I hear is really just an okay game in a series with already a tonne of representation. It’s just... disappointing, to say the least.

Well, at least they say we can purchase fighters individually right? We don’t need to buy the 2nd fighter pass if there’s a character we like?  Also I am happy with the other 4 in this 1st pass, so it’s not like it’s a wash for me, so that’s good, too.

Well that was a bit of a letdown for me and we never got any news about DLC amiibo either. I did hear him say that the recording was made in November 2019. Was odd he was talking about Dark Samus and Richter when some peeps are getting theirs tomorrow or as I have seen some lucky people getting theirs already. I think we should have seen something DLC amiibo related by now but oh well. Not touching Fighter Pass 2 right off the bat so I'm going to wait and see. 

Why does it seem like if you don't outright praise the character reveal, that you're seen as a hater? Again, I'm just neutral on the latest character, but feels like there can't be an in between anymore, though given how divisive Fire Emblem in Smash has been for awhile, I guess it's not too surprising. Even if you're not an FE fan though, I see no reason to get mad over this. It's small potatoes when there's a whole other fighter pass on our hands.

I'll admit that we did at least get another female fighter even though she is more of a palette swap so if the DLC amiibo is like what happened to Corrin back in Smash 3DS/Wii U we may get two Byleth amiibo. When I mentioned about finally having another female representative I had some peeps thowing that Me Too movement crap onto me. I couldn't believe the shade they were throwing at me.

Untitled Goose:

Standard Special - Item Grab: Yanks items right out of other fighter's hands, including Smash Balls (which just resume floating around) and Dragoon pieces (which scatter)

Other moves can be nips/bites, flap his wings to send an air current, a reflector like Mario's Cape where when he honks it repels items or spins a close enemy around
Have his attacks be similar to Peach where she grabs veggies to throw (he grabs random items he stole) and his forward Smash has him hit you with random items (bat, a No Goose sign, a hairbrush)

LOTS of grabs, obviously.

Final Smash he reigns on high with his crown and rings the shit out of this bell, damaging and putting into stun all in the area

Really surprised we haven't seen a Resident Evil rep with all the re-releases of RE0 through like 6 on the Switch. Though it may feel like a Snake clone unless they use Super-Wesker...

Geralt from Witcher III would make a good tanky Sword/Magic fighter. But I'd rather no more humans with swords until other options are explored. Also Alucard from Symphony of the Night, but same reason.

Still shocked we don't have Zero from Mega Man... They're making the Zero collection, sooo maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Undertale character. I still know nothing about the game, but they put a song in and the creators seem to want a rep in.

Remember way back when the DLC was announced? 

Sakurai had this to say:

"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning was started."

Xenoblade Chronciles 2 and Fire Emblem Switch (then unnamed) were announced at the same Switch live event in January 2017. Fire Emblem: Three Houses wasn't given a name until E3 2018. According to Wikipedia, planning for Xenoblade Chronciles 2 started in July 2014, while concept development for Three Houses began in 2015. 

In hindsight, saying Rex wasn't included because of timing just falls flat. It appears it was a white lie meant to soften the blow of his non-appearance.

Let's face it, though. The real question here is what happened to Shin Megami Tensei V, which was announced at that same January 2017 event? 

9 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

Sakurai had this to say:

"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning was started."

Xenoblade Chronciles 2 and Fire Emblem Switch (then unnamed) were announced at the same Switch live event in January 2017. Fire Emblem: Three Houses wasn't given a name until E3 2018. According to Wikipedia, planning for Xenoblade Chronciles 2 started in July 2014, while concept development for Three Houses began in 2015. 

In hindsight, saying Rex wasn't included because of timing just falls flat. It appears it was a white lie meant to soften the blow of his non-appearance.

Let's face it, though. The real question here is what happened to Shin Megami Tensei V, which was announced at that same January 2017 event? 

He also said during this "Direct" that when picking a Zelda he had access to unreleased BotW to get a feel for her character, and for Byleth he got unfinished 3 Houses to play around with.

He did say that, but that doesn't change the nature of the Rex quote. 

I'm not even describing the statement as one made out of malice: it comes off as marketing speak. It sounds better to say, "Oh, we couldn't even consider Rex, as his game wasn't announced when we were making this decision," than "We decided against Rex in favor of a character from a game announced at the same event." 

It's just, in January 2020, we now know that statement made in November 2018 wasn't true, for whatever reason. 

It is kind of a double standard unfortunately, between Rex and his game “coming too soon” and what we just got now.

@EH_STEVE There was a Resident Evil spirit event earlier which may have deconfirmed a rep. :( Was kinda annoyed that Wesker wasn’t a legendary spirit at least, but Jill they did dirty I felt by making her a one star support spirit (conversely, Chris and Leon were two stars).

I'm calling it now:

At least one reveal trailer for fighter's pass 2 will involve a highly-requested character finding the sealed envelope, opening it, reading it for a few seconds, and then throwing it away. Followed by a different character from the same company picking up the discarded envelope, looking at it, and then being confirmed as the new fighter.

4 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I'm calling it now:

At least one reveal trailer for fighter's pass 2 will involve a highly-requested character finding the sealed envelope, opening it, reading it for a few seconds, and then throwing it away. Followed by a different character from the same company picking up the discarded envelope, looking at it, and then being confirmed as the new fighter.

Geralt > Dandelion

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

"Luke, a true gentleman does not seek violence, but Jibanyan sure does." 

5 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

Sakurai had this to say:

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, Sakurai specifically mentioned that he got early versions of Breath of the Wild and Three Houses, but didn't mention any such sneak peak at Xenoblade 2. Maybe he had to wait for the game to come out like everyone else. I still think it's likely that Rex will be included in Fighters Pass 2, possibly as the first fighter. 

I'm worried about Shin Megami Tensei V, too. It's been three years since we've heard a thing about it. Talk about announcing it too early. I know there's usually long gaps between main numbered SMT games, but three years later, I'm nervous.