Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Honestly, i have mixed feelings about this last one for Pass 1

With the other characters being third party and being the first of their series, id thought that would continue with the last pack

but getting another FE character feels somewhat... meh and slightly underwhelming to me compared to the others  - even if there’s a different moveset/playstyle compared to the other FE characters

Granted, I haven’t played Three Houses, so i guess that might be part of my feelings toward this - not that i play much FE anyway

Though Im indifferent about the game/character Since I’ve never played it, part of me thinks Cuphead might’ve even been a more unique  option  compared to another FE character

I didn’t mind Joker or  Banjo & Kazooie all too much even though im not huge on the series as ive never played them, and i guess Terry’s alright, but im mostly indifferent to him

Don’t really care for Hero all too much (or the series in general)... and ive already mentioned my feelings toward Byleth

So i guess that’s considered 2 hits,1 indifferent,1 miss, and 1 undecided leaning towards somewhere between meh and miss for Fighter’s Pass #1

... well, we’re getting another Pass #2 with 6 more fighters so hopefully we get some more brand new 2nd/3rd party characters than ones from series we already have

And still holding out hope for Geno to be one of them

Although debating on it, probably will end up buying the pass #2 anyway since that’s easier than buying them separately regardless of the included characters included... guess it’s somewhat of a completionist thing, to an extent

Edited by Shadow118

Once again, the previously conceived notions of Smash speculation has been turned on its head. I’m more indifferent to FE, but a final reveal like this makes me more thankful that the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo were already included in hindsight, or this might’ve been more painful. Sure, there’s others remaining I would like, but still. At least this puts 1st parties back on the table I guess as a silver lining.

And another pass, cool. Once again I’ll wait and see and just get who happens to appeal to me. Banjo and Terry were the mvp’s of the 1st pass for me, so it’ll be interesting to see how season 2 of DLC differs.

p.s. My take on the meme.

F6364622-C422-425B-AACE-9B5286039211.jpeg

Edited by Ridley Prime
1 hour ago, The Albraskan said:

This exactly. 

Im going to call it, the fact that there’s a sixth character in fighter pass 2 probably means ones going to be a Pokémon Sword and Shield rep.

A 6 pack seemed interesting and almost like they got a lot of requests or ideas they couldn't get to.  But if a FE character was the final choice to begin with then one wonders why that character a) wasn't done already and b) why that character was worthy of closing out pass 1.

A pokemon s&s character has to be one of the next six and since they played the Fe card, the only other equivalent is Pokemon.

Pack 1 thoughts:

Joker was the most surprising. Put a lot of things on and off the table as far as posibilites.

As the 5th, Bayleth is the most surprising and not surprising of the lot.  Considering the first four, it's surprising they ended pass 1 like that, but not surprising they went FE.

Hero felt like an easy pick.

Banjo seemed the least likely to happen, but had the background ties to get things in motion.

I wasn't surprised another major fighting game franchise character got picked, but the pick was. I really like to play Terry.

If piranha plant counts as part of this I think he's so off the wall and well thought out that I can't hate on him.

All of dlc stages are great but I think I like Terry and banjo's most.  Hero and joker's 2nd most.  Bayleth comes last as FE stages have already been down it's path but I like all the different attributes per section.

After pass 1 is complete I think the following:

If Simon, why no Ryu H?

With Chrom, why another FE?

With all the Links and BotW 2 on the way can we get a 2nd Ganon (Pig Ganon plz).

No female dlc characters? Female Bayleth doesn't really count imo.

No character is out of play based on choices made in the game and pack 1.

For pack 2 i have the following thoughts:

A Pokemon is a given, and personally I like a female pokemon trainer with a new 3 pack to use.

I think getting that best selling fighting game tag draws in someone from a fighting game franchise.  I'd argue probably not from the two in it already.

Microsoft and Nintendo got cozy enough for banjo and cup Head Mii costume so...

Can we get a Nintendo rival? Sega/Sonic are there.  MS/Master Chief, TG16/Bonk ( don't forget TG16 mini comes in March), PS/Crash(although he's not that for PS now).....

Can't believe the mad lad really threw in another Fire Emblem character. Even as a huge FE fan, eight characters seems excessive. I appreciate that Byleth uses an array of weapons at least, though I might have preferred to have a character that doesn't use a sword at all—if I had to pick a Three Houses character, Edelgard would have been interesting as a relatively slight but powerful character.

I also would've liked to see something more unique with the Garreg Mach stage, like maybe the background characters act as hazards—maybe getting knocked into the air on the bridge causes the pegasus knight to slam into you.

And I agree that ultimately the most surprising thing was that this wasn't a third-party character. Way to kill the streak at the very end.

Love seeing Cuphead represented, and with a song no less, but it would have been amazing if he was DLC character #5.

Sakurai counting on his fingers in binary: what a huge nerd, I love it. The fact that holding up three fingers represents 17 for the 17th FE game and also 3 for Three Houses is such a deliciously obnoxious and clever hint.

4 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Didn't those Mega Men already have Mii costumes in the fourth game?

Yes they did.

3 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

ahahahahaha

ahahahaha

What's funny about all of this that even tho there are the ppl who are upset with this reveal. I think most of those ppl joke that Byleth would be character.

That's what makes this all the more funnier than it should be, lol.

I watched the reveal on my lunch break.

Like Shadow118 I'm mixed too but the only difference is I played FE: TH and completed GD about to finish BL. So I don't know that tells anyone that where I stand is still unique that I'm happy for Byleth in Smash but at the same there's too many goddamn FE character. Nothing against the series and three housed is a great game but. I'm miffed by all of this that I am at the moment uncertain if I'll purchase the Vol. 2 fighter pass but we will see in the coming weeks and when I play Byleth if that changes.

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Over-rep and franchise/character diversity.

image.png.0cfc4526736bb7d94756b817638ee8e7.png

Also I looked to see if this is real in the vid and it is not someone must of photoshopped his pinky because the middle finger is up that's accurate but the pinky was in this exact shot. I slowed down the video to make sure, even tho it was not necessary to do so.

Pretty underwhelming choice. Partly because Byleth is the most boring character in FE even in the modern era of Fates.

On the whole, Season Pass 1 is great. I'm happy with Hero, and it's nice that Terry is there to represent SNK. Banjo and Joker are mediocre, competitive wise.

Hopes for Season Pass 2: I'm still holding hope for Lloyd Irving and Zero from Mega Man Zero. I'd like Sakurai to dig deep for something strange.

Sakurai: I chose Robin because the FE reps have too many sword lords!

Also Sakurai: Corrin and Byleth join the battle!

That said, I'm so relieved that the final character is someone I actually recognize and don't hate. And Sakurai was so happy. Counting on his fingers in binary!? He is too adorable.

If only Smash 4 had recruited Azura instead of Corrin, people wouldn't have been mad about that DLC character nor about this one. Corrin really screwed FE's chance at balanced representation here.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

No female dlc characters? Female Bayleth doesn't really count imo.

Don't you forget about Kazooie! 

Though, in all seriousness, I'm surprised at the overall lack of new female characters in Smash, particularly original characters. Daisy is an echo, while Isabelle shares a lot with Villager. Inkling is unique, but merits noting that half of the Inklings featured are male. 

Maybe the second pass will address this, but that remains to be seen.